Level 3 PPAP with only a few of the required documents?

E

eypon

Hello All,

I have a customer that is requiring a level 3 PPAP. They are asking for just about all document which pertain to a level 3 PPAP but, they don't call out any special or critical characteristics on their drawings. They want only 30 pieces sample for the submittal, so I cant really do any MSA or GR&R studies. Yet they are still asking for it? example: They want a material and performance test results, but there are no critcal characteristics being call out anywhere on the prints. Also, they have no DFEMA to help you get a clue to what they are look for? :mad: Sorry guys & gals ...I'm venting....

Here's my question: If certain data or special characteristic are not being provided to complete a PPAP package what do you do? :cfingers:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
eypon said:
Hello All,

I have a customer that is requiring a level 3 PPAP. They are asking for just about all document which pertain to a level 3 PPAP but, they don't call out any special or critical characteristics on their drawings. They want only 30 pieces sample for the submittal, so I cant really do any MSA or GR&R studies. Yet they are still asking for it? example: They want a material and performance test results, but there are no critical characteristics being call out anywhere on the prints. Also, they have no DFEMA to help you get a clue to what they are look for? :mad: Sorry guys & gals ...I'm venting....

Here's my question: If certain data or special characteristic are not being provided to complete a PPAP package what do you do? :cfingers:
Let me deal with the issues
There is no need for criticals and this does not in fact matter to the MSA
see these threadsfor more discussion PPAP - No Critical Characteristics on Print
Question Gage R&R study requirements - What dimensions are you doing studies on?
Material test results refer to the material called out on the drawing, you must show that you conform to the requirement
If there are no performance requirements then you do not need to submit.
When they say they only want 30 parts this means that they expect that you will submit 30 parts from a significant production run of 8 hours or some 300 parts.
Hope this helps

E

eypon

Thanks Howard. You pointed me in the direction I need. Just a quick note though, My customer only wanted a production run of 30 not 300 which is needed. So I this is an odd run but, that is my customer requirements. But, again thanks

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
eypon said:
Thanks Howard. You pointed me in the direction I need. Just a quick note though, My customer only wanted a production run of 30 not 300 which is needed. So I this is an odd run but, that is my customer requirements. But, again thanks
You need to ask the customer what's expected whenever the default requirements don't apply or don't make sense.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D What does a level 1 (PSW) PPAP actually promise? APQP and PPAP 16
J Part submission warrant for Level 1 PPAP APQP and PPAP 1
M Level 3 PPAP submission of intentional defective parts APQP and PPAP 4
eule del ayre List of Level 3 PPAP requirements for automotive suppliers APQP and PPAP 20
N How to resolve discrepancies in Level 3 PPAP supplier dimensional reports? APQP and PPAP 11
J What level PPAP for 5 critical parts? APQP and PPAP 8
P Automotive Supplier PPAP Level Requirements Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
Y Customer Specific PPAP Level 3/4 Requirements - Fastener Manufacturer APQP and PPAP 2
Q PPAP - How to determine the "Design Record Change Level" APQP and PPAP 2
B PPAP Level 3 Process Submission Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
V What Ford Phase PPAP Level should DV testing be submitted? APQP and PPAP 1
S Guidance to prepare and submit a Level 3 PPAP to a Customer APQP and PPAP 6
V Issue: Suppliers charge for complete Level III PPAP package - Heat Treated Parts APQP and PPAP 16
Q Level of PPAP - Bulk Chemicals Supplier Requirements APQP and PPAP 2
1 Revision Level of Print vs. PPAP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
K Key differences between a Level 2 and a Level 4 PPAP APQP and PPAP 4
V Mandatory to send to the Customers FMEA in a PPAP level 3 - Doubt IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 36
K Supplier PPAP Requirements - Level 3 or Level 4 APQP and PPAP 6
E Help with PPAP Level 3 for a small company! Machined parts APQP and PPAP 5
D Outsourced Material - Customer who is asking us for a level 3 PPAP APQP and PPAP 8
D AIAG Level 3 PPAP (100% dimensional measurement or just significant characteristics)? APQP and PPAP 2
D Level 3 PPAP for Customer - We are outsourcing the processing FMEA and Control Plans 6
R What is a Level III (Level 3) PPAP? APQP and PPAP 22
D What sort of information can I furnish for a Level 2 PPAP? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J What MSA studies do you include in PPAP level 3? APQP and PPAP 2
K PPAP for Truck Industry - What is involved with a Level 3 PPAP APQP and PPAP 2
J What PPAP level would you use for a part provided by a distributor? APQP and PPAP 7
J FMEA as a Confidential Document - PPAP Level 3 - Can the FMEA be hidden? FMEA and Control Plans 32
P To PPAP or not to PPAP - Level 2 - No in-house processing APQP and PPAP 13
B When I have to create PPAP Level 1, what data should be updated? APQP and PPAP 8
B PPAP Level 4 vs. PPAP Level 5 - What's the difference? APQP and PPAP 10
M how to decide the submission level for PPAP APQP and PPAP 2
G Need level 3 PPAP Forms APQP and PPAP 6
P What is Level 2 in the PPAP (GM)? APQP and PPAP 10
A Technical Documentation Records - Customer drawing, Revision Level, PPAP, etc. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
D What is a Level 3 PPAP? Blueprint says "Level 3 PPAP is required" APQP and PPAP 10
M QS-9000 level 3 PPAP - Can anyone inform me on the process? APQP and PPAP 7
J PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) Submission Level Differences - Forms attached APQP and PPAP 17
Q Level of PPAP submission for Subcontractor APQP and PPAP 3
B PPAP submission level classification - One dimension on print is changed APQP and PPAP 16
1 Capability Study for Level 3 PPAP - They are asking for a 100 peice capability study APQP and PPAP 4
B Need to submit level 3 PPAP - New or Multiple Presses - Injection Molding QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
B UKRP to what level should you audit Class I Technical Documentation? UK Medical Device Regulations 0
A % of defects on the whole batch based on result from inspection under AQL Level II Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
R IATF and ASPICE level 2 Design and Development of Products and Processes 9
B ANOVA 3 level and 4 factors f and p values are not showing Using Minitab Software 0
N Level 3 PPAPs APQP and PPAP 4
A Defining a lower ESD test level in IEC 60601 safety test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
was named killer Onsite Level II N.D.T. Training in Florida Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
D High level understanding of EUDAMED EU Medical Device Regulations 3