Level of PPAP submission for Subcontractor

Q

qsmso

Dear all, please advice
I did some search regarding PPAP for subcontractor and couldn't find exactly what I want to ask.
Here they are:-

1. In PPAP manual (3rd ed.), submission level. What is actaully mean for level 1 ? If we are required to submit only PSW and AAR, what about the rest? Make and keep in the company or just don't make anything until customer request?

2. For subcontractor that we require them to do PPAP, how to consider what level that should apply to them?

3. Can we create other level of PPAP submission? I mean level 6, 7, 8 and so on, in which we can create to match with each materia'sl characteristic. Right now, I have about 23 level of PPAP submission. But not sure whether correct or not?

4. One of our critical subcontractor is the tooling shop. They provide us a mold to cast alloy wheel for OEM. However, they don't have any system in place even ISO9000. So when request them to do PPAP, it becomes a hard time for both of us. Any suggestion for this situation, please?

Hope someone can help.

QSMSO

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J
qsmso,
My take on your concerns:
1. In PPAP manual (3rd ed.), submission level. What is actaully mean for level 1 ? If we are required to submit only PSW and AAR, what about the rest? Make and keep in the company or just don't make anything until customer request?
You are required to perform the tasks. Just don't submit them to the customer unless they ask for them.

2. For subcontractor that we require them to do PPAP, how to consider what level that should apply to them?
This is entirely up to you. I would say it depends on the size of the subcontractor, the criticality of the product supplied, and your confidence level with this subcontractor.

3. Can we create other level of PPAP submission? I mean level 6, 7, 8 and so on, in which we can create to match with each materia'sl characteristic. Right now, I have about 23 level of PPAP submission. But not sure whether correct or not?
This is an interesting Idea. I would say no. However, if all you require of the subcontractor is a PSW the subcontractor can have a lot of leeway in how they approach their record keeping.

4. One of our critical subcontractor is the tooling shop. They provide us a mold to cast alloy wheel for OEM. However, they don't have any system in place even ISO9000. So when request them to do PPAP, it becomes a hard time for both of us. Any suggestion for this situation, please?
Since this subcontractor is not supplying you with a "production" part, I don't think that a PPAP is appropriate. What they are supplying you is tooling. As long as they can supply you with mold inspection results, and you verify that the molds produce good wheels, this should be sufficient.

Hope this helps

James

Q

qsmso

Dear James,
Thank you so much for your reply. Anyway, still have question
1. If level of PPAP submission for subcontractor depend on my organizaiton, however, with the limit only 5 levels, how to deal with small size of subcontractor?

2. Can you clarify again about subcontractor who need to do PPAP? My auditor always look for PPAP of mold, since we think it's the critical tooling.

QSMSO

J
qsmso,

For your tooling supplier I would suggest going with a level 4 submission. Have them send you a PSW and inspection data from the mold. That should cover you.

I would use the same method with your small suppliers. Request level 4, PSW and some inspection data.

JAmes

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Level 3 PPAP submission of intentional defective parts APQP and PPAP 4
B PPAP Level 3 Process Submission Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
M how to decide the submission level for PPAP APQP and PPAP 2
J PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) Submission Level Differences - Forms attached APQP and PPAP 17
B PPAP submission level classification - One dimension on print is changed APQP and PPAP 16
eule del ayre List of Level 3 PPAP requirements for automotive suppliers APQP and PPAP 20
N How to resolve discrepancies in Level 3 PPAP supplier dimensional reports? APQP and PPAP 11
J What level PPAP for 5 critical parts? APQP and PPAP 8
P Automotive Supplier PPAP Level Requirements Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
Y Customer Specific PPAP Level 3/4 Requirements - Fastener Manufacturer APQP and PPAP 2
Q PPAP - How to determine the "Design Record Change Level" APQP and PPAP 2
V What Ford Phase PPAP Level should DV testing be submitted? APQP and PPAP 1
S Guidance to prepare and submit a Level 3 PPAP to a Customer APQP and PPAP 6
V Issue: Suppliers charge for complete Level III PPAP package - Heat Treated Parts APQP and PPAP 16
Q Level of PPAP - Bulk Chemicals Supplier Requirements APQP and PPAP 2
1 Revision Level of Print vs. PPAP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
K Key differences between a Level 2 and a Level 4 PPAP APQP and PPAP 4
V Mandatory to send to the Customers FMEA in a PPAP level 3 - Doubt IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 36
K Supplier PPAP Requirements - Level 3 or Level 4 APQP and PPAP 6
E Help with PPAP Level 3 for a small company! Machined parts APQP and PPAP 5
D Outsourced Material - Customer who is asking us for a level 3 PPAP APQP and PPAP 8
D AIAG Level 3 PPAP (100% dimensional measurement or just significant characteristics)? APQP and PPAP 2
D Level 3 PPAP for Customer - We are outsourcing the processing FMEA and Control Plans 6
R What is a Level III (Level 3) PPAP? APQP and PPAP 22
D What sort of information can I furnish for a Level 2 PPAP? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J What MSA studies do you include in PPAP level 3? APQP and PPAP 2
K PPAP for Truck Industry - What is involved with a Level 3 PPAP APQP and PPAP 2
J What PPAP level would you use for a part provided by a distributor? APQP and PPAP 7
J FMEA as a Confidential Document - PPAP Level 3 - Can the FMEA be hidden? FMEA and Control Plans 32
E Level 3 PPAP with only a few of the required documents? APQP and PPAP 3
P To PPAP or not to PPAP - Level 2 - No in-house processing APQP and PPAP 13
B When I have to create PPAP Level 1, what data should be updated? APQP and PPAP 8
B PPAP Level 4 vs. PPAP Level 5 - What's the difference? APQP and PPAP 10
G Need level 3 PPAP Forms APQP and PPAP 6
P What is Level 2 in the PPAP (GM)? APQP and PPAP 10
A Technical Documentation Records - Customer drawing, Revision Level, PPAP, etc. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
D What is a Level 3 PPAP? Blueprint says "Level 3 PPAP is required" APQP and PPAP 10
M QS-9000 level 3 PPAP - Can anyone inform me on the process? APQP and PPAP 7
1 Capability Study for Level 3 PPAP - They are asking for a 100 peice capability study APQP and PPAP 4
B Need to submit level 3 PPAP - New or Multiple Presses - Injection Molding QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
D Supplier Quality level category help - high level ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
silentmonkey Rationalising the level of effort and depth of software validation based on risk ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
Y What are different Special Inspection Level 1-4 and General spesification 1-3 ? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 0
D Supplier Quality - How to classify a supplier level Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
E Received a Major finding during IATF Surveillance audit for loss of BIQS Level 3 (more than 6 SPPS in 6 months)...how should we address SYSTEMIC CA? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
J Level 3 KPI Excel Template Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Informational How to perform a clinical evaluation of medical devices – Part 2 – Level of clinical evidence and what sufficient clinical evidence means Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 9
R Bottom up approach versus system level ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
C Failure nets - Same level effects FMEA and Control Plans 0
H Graphical analysis of results - Confidence level bands nomenclature Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2