Level of PPAP submission for Subcontractor

Q

qsmso

Dear all, please advice
I did some search regarding PPAP for subcontractor and couldn't find exactly what I want to ask.
Here they are:-

1. In PPAP manual (3rd ed.), submission level. What is actaully mean for level 1 ? If we are required to submit only PSW and AAR, what about the rest? Make and keep in the company or just don't make anything until customer request?

2. For subcontractor that we require them to do PPAP, how to consider what level that should apply to them?

3. Can we create other level of PPAP submission? I mean level 6, 7, 8 and so on, in which we can create to match with each materia'sl characteristic. Right now, I have about 23 level of PPAP submission. But not sure whether correct or not?

4. One of our critical subcontractor is the tooling shop. They provide us a mold to cast alloy wheel for OEM. However, they don't have any system in place even ISO9000. So when request them to do PPAP, it becomes a hard time for both of us. Any suggestion for this situation, please?

Hope someone can help.

QSMSO

J

JRKH

qsmso,
My take on your concerns:
1. In PPAP manual (3rd ed.), submission level. What is actaully mean for level 1 ? If we are required to submit only PSW and AAR, what about the rest? Make and keep in the company or just don't make anything until customer request?

You are required to perform the tasks. Just don't submit them to the customer unless they ask for them.

2. For subcontractor that we require them to do PPAP, how to consider what level that should apply to them?

This is entirely up to you. I would say it depends on the size of the subcontractor, the criticality of the product supplied, and your confidence level with this subcontractor.

3. Can we create other level of PPAP submission? I mean level 6, 7, 8 and so on, in which we can create to match with each materia'sl characteristic. Right now, I have about 23 level of PPAP submission. But not sure whether correct or not?

This is an interesting Idea. I would say no. However, if all you require of the subcontractor is a PSW the subcontractor can have a lot of leeway in how they approach their record keeping.

4. One of our critical subcontractor is the tooling shop. They provide us a mold to cast alloy wheel for OEM. However, they don't have any system in place even ISO9000. So when request them to do PPAP, it becomes a hard time for both of us. Any suggestion for this situation, please?

Since this subcontractor is not supplying you with a "production" part, I don't think that a PPAP is appropriate. What they are supplying you is tooling. As long as they can supply you with mold inspection results, and you verify that the molds produce good wheels, this should be sufficient.

Hope this helps

James

Q

qsmso

Dear James,
Thank you so much for your reply. Anyway, still have question
1. If level of PPAP submission for subcontractor depend on my organizaiton, however, with the limit only 5 levels, how to deal with small size of subcontractor?

2. Can you clarify again about subcontractor who need to do PPAP? My auditor always look for PPAP of mold, since we think it's the critical tooling.

QSMSO

J

JRKH

qsmso,

For your tooling supplier I would suggest going with a level 4 submission. Have them send you a PSW and inspection data from the mold. That should cover you.

I would use the same method with your small suppliers. Request level 4, PSW and some inspection data.

JAmes

Top Bottom