Liability Insurance Requirements under the MDR - p. 15 (item 31)

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Poked around but couldn't find anything.

Started slogging through the MDR and hit a bump on p. 15 (item 31). The text is:

In view of the fact that natural or legal persons can claim compensation for damage caused by a defective device in accordance with applicable Union and national law, it is appropriate to require manufacturers to have measures in place to provide sufficient financial coverage in respect of their potential liability under Council Directive 85/374/EEC1.

I'm curious what folks plan on doing about this. Might this be something that is in effect immediately; i.e., no transition period for devices already on the market?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Poked around but couldn't find anything.

Started slogging through the MDR and hit a bump on p. 15 (item 31). The text is:

In view of the fact that natural or legal persons can claim compensation for damage caused by a defective device in accordance with applicable Union and national law, it is appropriate to require manufacturers to have measures in place to provide sufficient financial coverage in respect of their potential liability under Council Directive 85/374/EEC1.

I'm curious what folks plan on doing about this. Might this be something that is in effect immediately; i.e., no transition period for devices already on the market?
Hi,

Please note that that item is part of the preamble; I don't think it is legally binding in itself.

Article 10 s. 16 (which is binding) reads:

Natural or legal persons may claim compensation for damage caused by a defective device in accordance with applicable Union and national law.

Manufacturers shall, in a manner that is proportionate to the risk class, type of device and the size of the enterprise, have measures in place to provide sufficient financial coverage in respect of their potential liability under Directive 85/374/EEC, without prejudice to more protective measures under national law.
That seems to be the only normative (binding) reference to manufacturers' product liability in the MDR.

I think that in that context there's nothing new here because the practice is already dictated by Directive 85/374/EEC (apparently amended last in 1999). The MDR only makes it explicit that medical devices manufacturers must comply with that directive, and also highlights that the compliance should be "proportionate to the risk class, type of device and the size of the enterprise". Perhaps (hopefully) future guidance will make that phrase more explicit.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Business development and support - Getting business general liability insurance Career and Occupation Discussions 5
H Is Product Liability Insurance Compulsory for Medical Device Manufacturers? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
W Medical Device Professional Liability Insurance Career and Occupation Discussions 2
P Medical Device Consultant Professional Liability Insurance (O & E) Career and Occupation Discussions 5
P Liability Insurance for local consulting jobs Consultants and Consulting 6
D Professional Liability Insurance - Have been asked by a registrar to obtain! Consultants and Consulting 16
Marc Registration: Liability Insurance Savings? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P MDR PRRC (person responsible for regulatory compliance) and personal liability EU Medical Device Regulations 2
I Who is responsible for signing the Declaration of Conformity and what is their liability Imported Legacy Blogs 0
S EU MDR - Liability Clause per article 31 EU Medical Device Regulations 22
J Product Liability for Dental Gel - Class I Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Contract Manufacturer & Mechanical Assembly Supplier Warranty Liability ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
K What liability does the QA Manager/Management Rep hold? (US FDA environment) Career and Occupation Discussions 4
SteveK Our device as part of another company?s device ? FDA liability? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
J Auditor Confidentiality vs. Liability General Auditing Discussions 34
M USP Class I & II - Raw material supplier liability and responsibility Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
T Nuclear Liability - Supplying construction materials - ASME under NCA 3800 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
F Liability and Warranty with PPAP Approval APQP and PPAP 6
E Liability for Packaged Drug products Sold Indirectly in the International Market. Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
B C of C Liability - Person who signs a certificate of conformance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 23
A Guarantee and warranty , Product liability- definition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P Safety and Liability: Non-employees On Premises Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
G Importance and Impact of NonConformity - QA Costs and Liability Nonconformance and Corrective Action 23
W Employee Personal Liability once we get our ISO 14001 up and running ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
B ISO 14001 Environmental Policy - Personal Liability - Making Managers Sign Policy ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
E Product Liability Training to comply with VDA - Course Content VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
P Health Insurance Costs Career and Occupation Discussions 3
T SPC in Insurance Back Office Operations Service Industry Specific Topics 4
L Insurance to cover for nonconformances ? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
G Reduced Insurance Premium with ISO 14001 or ISO 9001 Certification ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
R HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) applicability Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
B ISMS Certified - Any requirement for Insurance Coverage for Infrastructure Assets? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
K Legal Representation Insurance in the US for Travelers Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 37
N Process Mapping a Private Company that deals with Insurance Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 8
V Group Quality Manual for an Insurance Company with 3 Subsidiaries Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
M FMEA Rating Scales for the Insurance Industry FMEA and Control Plans 4
S Six Sigma Project Identification - Banking and Insurance Six Sigma 2
J Redefining the Quality Assurance Function - Insurance sector ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J Applicability of 7.5.5 Preservation of Product in a Service Industry like Insurance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
J Is this Outsourcing, as per ISO 9001:2008? Financial/Insurance sector ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
V Criteria used to assess the Validity of a Complaint - Insurance Company Customer Complaints 4
V Management Review agenda content in an Insurance company Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
D Do I need a Procedure on Legal Requirements? Regulated Insurance Sector ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K Need DETAILED Procedure Template for Dental Insurance Co. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
G Health Insurance - Annual health screening Career and Occupation Discussions 10
Antonio Vieira ISO 9001 at a Union - Union of workers of the Insurance Industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J Looking for Individual Health Insurance options Career and Occupation Discussions 5
A G.I. Insurance Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
A Car Insurance - What are you paying? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
A Insurance cost affected by ISO 14001? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 9