SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Life after the Personal Computer

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Our company is almost entirely using laptops. Desk stations are only used for major processing like FEA. The screens on a smart phone are too small for serious computer work, but I can see tablets taking over most personal computing. I can't see it for the type of work that I do because I use large dual monitors and the tablet touch keypad is awkward for heavy typing.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin
I don't doubt computers as we know them in the enterprise will be the last to go. The key will be computers becoming so small that a tiny docking station linking to a monitor and keyboard will be the norm for a while.

My problem with smart phones is the screen size (just as you cite), and of course data entry/control. The iPad I bought isn't too bad, but even there it's a relatively small screen (about 10" in this case of my iPad). I did get a bluetooth keyboard for it but rarely use it because of what I use the tablet for.

It appears the ~7" tablets are the "coming thing", but considering "Pappa Bear, Momma Bear and Baby Bear" aspect of screen size, I'll take the Poppa Bear tablet screen.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
From the time I got my first battery powered LED handheld calculator in 1970 to the present day, I have witnessed first hand the "truth" of Moore's Law about the speed and capacity of the integrated circuits in computers.

Nowhere is it more evident than the evolution from my first electronic calculator (which weighed about a pound and could add, subtract, multiply, divide, but not do square roots) and cost $300 to today's smartphone which weighs a few ounces, takes photos, has built-in GPS, and has more computing power than my 100 pound desktop in 1990 and costs 1/2 of $300 [with a contract.]

Heck! My first Motorola cell phone weighed more than a house brick and had so little battery life that I carried 2 spare batteries everywhere I went. (I still have a "bag phone" and one of those "house bricks" sitting on a shelf in my garage. :))

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
I think attitude will have allot to do with personal computers as well, as the new pads and phones work into the younger generation and they start moving into the work place environment, it will change;

I use a desktop, laptop, and an Ipad. I find that when I am sitting in front of the desktop, I focus on work, the laptop makes me want to move around and I lose focus, and the Ipad I just want to play games on.

I grew up in the era of desktops so most of my computer use has been on a desktop. I try using my phone for e-mails but usually I just read the e-mails and reply when I get to my desktop (I find it difficult to get my fat fingers able to type properly and voice only works about 1/2 the time).

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
Trusted Information Resource
From the time I got my first battery powered LED handheld calculator in 1970 to the present day, I have witnessed first hand the "truth" of Moore's Law about the speed and capacity of the integrated circuits in computers.

Nowhere is it more evident than the evolution from my first electronic calculator (which weighed about a pound and could add, subtract, multiply, divide, but not do square roots) and cost $300 to today's smartphone which weighs a few ounces, takes photos, has built-in GPS, and has more computing power than my 100 pound desktop in 1990 and costs 1/2 of $300 [with a contract.]

Heck! My first Motorola cell phone weighed more than a house brick and had so little battery life that I carried 2 spare batteries everywhere I went. (I still have a "bag phone" and one of those "house bricks" sitting on a shelf in my garage. :))
Moore's Law reminds me of the "simulation argument" that first started to gain traction with philosophers and futurists around the time that the movie "The Matrix" came out.

The fundamental question behind the argument is: Are we currently living in a computer simulation? These people have proposed that the likelihood that this is true is somewhere between 10-20%, depending on whose article you read.

The meat of the argument is that at least one of the following propositions is true: (1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman” stage; (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation. It follows that the belief that there is a significant chance that we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor-simulations is false, unless we are currently living in a simulation. A number of other consequences of this result are also discussed.

I have provided a link to a PDF file for starters. :popcorn: Whether or not you believe the hype, it is still a pretty interesting topic, especially for paradoxical enthusiasts - anyways, enjoy!!!

Brian :rolleyes:

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Moore's Law reminds me of the "simulation argument" that first started to gain traction with philosophers and futurists around the time that the movie "The Matrix" came out.

The fundamental question behind the argument is: Are we currently living in a computer simulation? These people have proposed that the likelihood that this is true is somewhere between 10-20%, depending on whose article you read.

The meat of the argument is that at least one of the following propositions is true: (1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman” stage; (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation. It follows that the belief that there is a significant chance that we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor-simulations is false, unless we are currently living in a simulation. A number of other consequences of this result are also discussed.

I have provided a link to a PDF file for starters. :popcorn: Whether or not you believe the hype, it is still a pretty interesting topic, especially for paradoxical enthusiasts - anyways, enjoy!!!

Brian :rolleyes:

I still like the traditional view...that God put us on the earth for a purpose, that this is a reality, and there is an afterlife called heaven and hell...I hope we don't completely get rid of that in our computer age... just sayin' :cool:

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
I don't doubt computers as we know them in the enterprise will be the last to go. The key will be computers becoming so small that a tiny docking station linking to a monitor and keyboard will be the norm for a while.

My problem with smart phones is the screen size (just as you cite), and of course data entry/control. The iPad I bought isn't too bad, but even there it's a relatively small screen (about 10" in this case of my iPad). I did get a bluetooth keyboard for it but rarely use it because of what I use the tablet for.

It appears the ~7" tablets are the "coming thing", but considering "Pappa Bear, Momma Bear and Baby Bear" aspect of screen size, I'll take the Poppa Bear tablet screen.
I agree. The small screen seems so limiting. What happened to those cool glasses they advertised back in 1999? The ones where a whole screen was "projected" out in front of your eyes. We were all supposed to be using them by now! Marc, I like your idea of a mobile and a docking station. That could be a good compromise.

I have been conducting a poll on airplanes. As a frequent flyer I get upgrades a lot. When someone next to me is using an iPad, I sometimes ask if they still carry a laptop.

So far, only 3 people indicated they did not bring their laptop. One was a retired guy on a short 3 day trip. He was watching a movie. One was a guy on a day trip who usually brings a laptop, but left it behind since it was a one day trip.

But the last guy was interesting. He was an exec, said he always leaves his laptop on, sitting o his desk. He links to it using a remote program like PC Anywhere, and says he loves it. He was a major power-user, doing heavy spreadsheet analysis, emails, memos and docs, multi-tasking... Have really never seen someone using an iPad that extensively, but he showed that it could be done. I was a little impressed, but, so far, he was the only one.

Also, I'm not sure that I would want to link remotely like that. I always thought that really slowed things down. Mainly, I avoid doing sensitive work when there are that many eyes around me. Since I work with client's audit reports and confidential info, I make sure other people can't read it.

So, I use a small laptop with high resolution. That still gives me a lot of information on screen, but makes the screen font pretty small and confidential. I just have to use reading glasses to read it.

It will be interesting to see this continue to unfold. Tablets clearly are the future. Even Bill Gates said that for years. Just ironic that Microsoft was not positioned to be a force in that market, given that he had that vision for years.

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Interesting stuff Helmut. Having toyed with the idea of getting an iPad I have just recently bought the Nexus 7 to try out. I now have a desktop PC for my normal use at home, a standard sized laptop for any serious work involving typing e.g. audit reports, a netbook which I use when presenting courses through a projector and for minor typing activities and now the Nexus which I keep in my bag or by the TV in case I want quick access to the Internet.

I surprised how quickly I have got used to the 7" screen, it hardly seems to bother me because of the ability to zoom using 'gestures'. I suspect that I could do without the full size laptop but for the fact that my hands are 'big and clunky' and my typing skills are OK, but limited - my accuracy is not what it was, largely due to a medical condition.

I don't yet foresee the day I would want to be without the desktop (with dual screens) though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Extension to shelf life of new product under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Shelf Life Test for IFU and Implant Card Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
E Any sample of a full software life cycle IEC 62304 report ( any class )? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
B Calibration in real life ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T Sterilized components shelf life Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
L Shelf life of medical devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
U Does *anyone* know a lab that will test to EN 455-4 Medical Gloves shelf life determination? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S How is the service life for class I reusable medical devices described in MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S How is the service life described for class I reusable medical devices in MDR? Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
C Shelf life electronic components 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
F Plastics cans shelf life determination under static load Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Medical Devices Shelf Life ---INDIA Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
J Scope of ISO 9001 clause 10.2 in the product life cycle ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D IEC 60601-1 - Service life testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
D Device functionality over service life - Objective evidence required? Design and Development of Products and Processes 10
Edward Reesor FDA DM and /or Class I Life Saving US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
S Requirement to Conduct New Shelf-life Testing? (re-do testing for design change) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M PPE shelf life Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
K EU Shelf life claims for individual materials EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Product (Device) Life cycle - Product Life AFTER the Post Market Phase Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
R Expected life span of Medical devices - X-Ray based diagnostic medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P Disposables Shelf Life Expiration US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
C Medical Device Shelf life studies 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
F Procedure for Device End of Life/Obsolescence Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
Y Commanded life cycle management tool IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
D Standard guide for shelf life determination of non sterile component with degradation materials Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
shrutisancheti Predicate device accelerated aging - 1 year of shelf life is already over Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Ed Panek Is Shelf Life Change a significant change? CE Marking CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
M Informational Draft ANSM’S GUIDELINE Cybersecurity of medical devices integrating software during their life cycle Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
optomist1 DFMEA - Real Life Drama FMEA and Control Plans 25
Q ISO 14001:2015 accredited but import most product - CB Raised minor NC on Life Cycle Perspective ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
V Replaced part affecting service life? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
A Defining Expected Service Life in Risk Management File Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
T No Defined Shelf Life/Expiration Date - Disposable single-use, non-invasive, non-sterile Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
M End of Life or Device transfer regulations for Legal Manufacturer Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
H Frequency of shelf life/sterilization/bench studies conducted on a medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
K How to define Expected life service life of medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
L Cytotoxicity at the end of life-time Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
W Shelf life and accelerated aging ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B Shelf life of molded and extruded pebax Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R Medical Device, Warranty Influences Expected Service Life Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
J 510k - Product shelf life validation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Medical Device End of Life and Complaints 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
R ISO 14001:2015 Life Cycle Perspective ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 11
R Product life cycle and compliance obligation ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
K Food Shelf Life Stability Study Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
R Life Cycle Assessment of a Product Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
I Device Shelf Life Extension to 48 months without involving the FDA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Shelf Life of Combination Sets for Class II Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4