related to Software development activities

1. What is a "life cycle model" and how it relates with the life cycle
processes defined in ISO 12207:1995 (which is thoroughly referred in
ISO 9003-1:1997) ?
2. Is a life cycle model (development model) the same as a project
management methodology?
3. Do life cycle procedures (the "how") depend on the life cycle model
selected? For example, would the requirement analysis procedure be
different depending on whether we chose a waterfall model or a RAD model?

Any answers will be appreciated.

<< regards,
<< yadav

Girish,

1. A life-cycle model is the order in which a series of processes are performed to create/update a product or service. Examples of life-cylce models include a Single-Pass Waterfall, Incremental Build, and Evolutionary Build approach. The "Life Cycle Processes" of 12207 fall into three categories: Primary/Supporting/Organizational life cycle processes. The Primary/Supporting processes are organized into appropriate sequences as part of the life cycle for the project.

2. A life cycle model is not the same as a project management methodology. The 12207 view point is that project management (and its particular methodologies) is one of the process that apply to a project throughout its life cycle and is established for the entire organization (an Organizational life cycle process).

3. The life cycle processes of 12207 are mostly "the what" has to be done on a project; not "the how." The particular how (e.g., object-oriented vs. functional programming methods, waterfall vs. RAD) are implementation details when using 12207 on a project.

By the way, I am part of the U.S. Tech. Advisory Group (TAG) responsible for 12207, as well as its revisions, and 15288 (the system life cycle std.). My company has been conducting training classes and consulting on the use of these standards for twelve years.

David S. Maibor, President
David Maibor Associates, Inc.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Subject: Re: Q: Life cycle model/yadav/Deibler
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 08:52:02 -0600

Subject: Re: Q: Life cycle model/yadav/Deibler

Hello Yadav,

Some definitions....

software life cycle - The period of time that begins when a software product is conceived and ends when the software is no longer available for use. The software life cycle typically includes a concept phase, requirements phase, design phase, implementation phase, test phase, installation and checkout phase, operation and maintenance phase, and, sometimes, retirement phase. - IEEE-STD-610

Examples of software life cycles include:
- waterfall,
- overlapping waterfall,
- spiral,
- serial build, and
- single prototype/overlapping waterfall.
- incremental
- STARTS V Model

....and the list goes on. Many models are slight variants of others, for example, the V Model and spiral models exploit the waterfall model.

> 2. Is a life cycle model (development model) the same as a project
> management methodology?

No. Project management methods are typically not tied to a particular
life cycle. Good project management spans the lifecycle of product
development.

> 3. Do life cycle procedures (the "how") depend on the life cycle model
> selected? For example, would the requirement analysis procedure be
> different depending on whether we chose a waterfall model or a RAD model?

That's a great question....

Life cycles and models in general, such as ISO 9000 and the CMM are whats not hows. A requirements analysis procedure may very well be similar when used in conjunction with different lifecycles. A lot of how requirements are fleshed out depends on the type of product, for example, graphical applications may use prototypes as a method of deriving requirements, whereas prototyping may be used less in non-graphical applications.

Life cycles are useful...but well-defined and useful policies, procedures, and standards (undocumented and documented) will dictate how things are done....the nuts and bolts.....and the lifecycle models are high level enough that they won't dictate specifics and therefore will not prevent the procedures from being flexible and useful as long as they are designed that way! :}

The real challenge is to design procedures that will support projects small to large and include the challenges of software maintenance, outsourced third-party development, and other risks...but that's another topic....

Drop me a line if you need more information as we work with companies in defining the nuts and bolts of their software engineering practices.

Sincerely,

Bill Deibler

Marc

Staff member
Admin
--> One of the most fundamental misconceptions about a
--> "life-cycle" model is that it ends with product delivery. A
--> true life-cycle model makes a realistic estimate of the
--> useful life of the product and creates a plan from birth to
--> death. How is the product delivered, installed and
--> maintained? What kinds of support would customers require, or
--> reasonably expect? I have reviewed many so-called life-cycle
--> models that failed to address any of the issues after first
--> release, or only mentioned these issues as a sketchy
--> afterthought.
-->
--> Robert Lessman

Marc

Staff member
Admin
A response:
I am surprised. I worked with a methodology that integrates both the project management and the software development life cycle. The approach goes like this. The software development life cycle is divided into Phases\Activity\Tasks and the deliverables are placed in the Milestone sections. The Project management practices like the scheduling and tracking as well as the business case management is done accordingly based on tools like MS-Project and the practices like the cost\benefit analysis at the respective milestones. The integration of both of these methodologies depends majorly on the size of the project, precisely on the development methodology like RAD or any other. There are many tools available in the market that use the integrated methodologies like the Project Bridge Modeler and Work Bench. I believe this is what the query wished to discuss and I am not off the topic.

Regards
Peter

W

w_grunfeld

Life Cycle - ISO 12207:2008 - Software development activities

Need help,
Does anyone have the new 2008 version of ISO 12207? What is new /different from the 1995 version?
Also, is there any added value in the IEEE/EIA 12207 series 12207.0, 12207.1 and 12207.2 Industry Implementation of the ISO standard?
I don't recall any other ISO standard that has 3 other different industry standards to guide in its implementation. Can someone enlighten me if these are really needed to satisfy a customer ?
Thanks,
Willy

T

TAllen

Subject: Re: Q: Life cycle model/yadav/Maibor
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 14:20:31 -0600

Subject: Re: Q: Life cycle model/yadav/Maibor

<< From: Girish Yadav - tatainfotech

On behalf of one of my friend, I'm putting forward following questions
related to Software development activities <snip>
Can you possibly provide some examples of these models?

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Can you possibly provide some examples of these models?
This is a *very* old thread which is snippets from a now non-existing ListServ and I'm sure none of the original people are on this forum.

Now that the thread has been bumped up you *may* get some responses, but there aren't a lot of software people here so don't get your hopes up.

T

TAllen

This is a *very* old thread which is snippets from a now non-existing ListServ and I'm sure none of the original people are on this forum.

Now that the thread has been bumped up you *may* get some responses, but there aren't a lot of software people here so don't get your hopes up.
Thank you I appreciate it. We are launching a new IVD Product that has a software algorithm created by us and we have been going through the hoops to try and ensure we have met both the FDA and IEC directives regarding software validation and verification. Right now I am putting together our operating procedure for this following the IEC 62304 directive, which was recommended to us by our ISO auditor, but it refers back to this 12207 directive and it's a bit confusing. The IEC 62304 is pretty straight forward, but developing these life cycle models, knowing which to use, and how these correlate back into the 62304 directive is taking a bit of brain storming. Anything anyone can provide me would be helpful.

thx

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Scope of ISO 9001 clause 10.2 in the product life cycle ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q ISO 14001:2015 accredited but import most product - CB Raised minor NC on Life Cycle Perspective ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
R ISO 14001:2015 Life Cycle Perspective ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 11
P ISO 14001:2015 and Life Cycle Assessment ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 18
M Revision of ISO 16142 - Clause on use of standards in the medical device life-cycle Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
R Medical Device Contract Manufacturer doesn't know ISO 14971 3.4 a) Life Cycle Phases ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
I Software Design SOP to ISO 62304 (Software life cycle for Medical Device) IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
Sidney Vianna New ISO/IEC standard: quality of IT system / software engineering life cycle process Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
S Life Cycle - ISO 14971:2007 meets ISO 14630:08 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
C New LCA (Life Cycle Assessment) standards - ISO 14040:2006 - ISO 14044:2006 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
A ISO 14040 ? Life cycle assessment ? Design for Environment form Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 8
K Product (Device) Life cycle - Product Life AFTER the Post Market Phase Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
Y Commanded life cycle management tool IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
M Informational Draft ANSM’S GUIDELINE Cybersecurity of medical devices integrating software during their life cycle Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R Product life cycle and compliance obligation ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
R Life Cycle Assessment of a Product Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
A Quality system vs SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle) (or ALM)? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
K Task and Sub Tasks of Software Life Cycle Phase Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
E Where to Buy IEC 62304 Software Life Cycle IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 7
V Examples of Risk Assessment (FMEA) through the Life Cycle of the Product Development ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 16
V Implementation of Traceability Matrix in Validation Life Cycle of Equipment Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
A When does a project end inside a software product? Life Cycle issue IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
D Testing to determine Life Cycle of a Medical Device Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
R How do we show our Software Develoment Life Cycle is similar to IEC 62304 Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
A Requirement 4 of MDD 93/42/EEC - Definitions of Lifetime, Life Cycle, Shelf Life EU Medical Device Regulations 5
N What are typical Software Life Cycle Metrics Software Quality Assurance 5
sagai Process Model for IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
O Average Life Cycle Duration for a large number of medical equipment types Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
C When to Submit a 510(k) in the Product Life Cycle 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
K Software Life Cycle Process Map? Template or example wanted IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
F Life Cycle Cost worksheet - Reliability and Maintainability of systems Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
M Life Cycle Cost for Repairable Systems and Weibull Analysis Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
U 1. Hardware Life Cycle; 2. Requirements tracking; 3. FMEA Risk Analysis ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
A Introduction of EN 62304 - Life Cycle Requirements for Medical Device Software. IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 43
N Which SDLC (Systems Development Life Cycle) phase does Quality Assurance Participate Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
H IT Software Life Cycle Development - How do 7.3.2 to 7.3.4 apply? Software Quality Assurance 4
H Software Life Cycle - Software Development Procedure Software Quality Assurance 2
W IEC 62304:2006 Medical device software - Software life cycle processes - Issued IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 10
K Documentation life cycle process flow? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C The Life Cycle of a Trend The Reading Room 3
T Product / Service Life Cycle Quality - Whose Responsibility to Sort, etc.? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 1
B Weibull vs. Gaussian on something that is not a durability or life cycle test Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 22
Steve Prevette Life Cycle of a Trend - An SPC Overview Registered Visitor Articles Archive 7
V Life Cycle Approach to Setting Specifications for Biotechnology-Derived Products ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Medical Electrical Equipment & UL Approval - Interpreting the Life-Cycle Diagram ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
R Comparison of Waterfall vs Life Cycle in Software Development Methods Software Quality Assurance 5
S What is the life cycle costing? Why so important? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
E Product Realisation and Life Cycle Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Medical Devices Shelf Life ---INDIA Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3