Life of the part - How long should I keep processing data, powder, raw material tests

D
Life of the part

How long should I keep processing data, powder and raw material tests, etc. if the warranty only lasts 3 years or 36,000 miles, would there be any reason to keep the records longer than that?
Or when I specify life of the part plus one year, do I mean life of how long we have the part in production?
(Confused again)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Dawn,

4.16.1 speaks to a few different points.

Parts in production will generate Quality Records (lot traceability stuff). These have a life of one calender year after the year they were created. An example: a record created today could be destroyed 12/31/00 (created early 1999, but retained a year after the year they were created in, all of 2000). This would apply to the similar type records as the examples point out (e.g. control charts, inspection and test results). This would include the acceptance or production records for processing data, powder, and raw materials you mentioned.

Next point: PPAP type records (tooling, POs noted in the first paragraph). This speaks to the "Or when I..." question. These are records that are living records. They maintain the current acceptable process to manufacture and submit product for an OEM. They die one year after a product line dies. These records are maintained for the life of the product (a 10 year old product's records will be kept through the 11th year and then disposed of). Now the catch: the product you manufacture has a warranty. This may be an attachment to the "service requirements" portion of the element.

In this case, I believe you would have to wait until the 4th year before disposing of your "production quality records" (the lot traceability stuff). This is the point I have a bit of confusion on. What I believe is that you would need to maintain these records should an issue arise late in the second/third year. If you had disposed of the records, how could you defend yourself?

This also leads me to the fourth paragraph "Retention periods longer than those specified above may be specified by the supplier in their procedures. The supplier shall eventually dispose of records". You may decide to keep you records longer, provided there aren't any conflicts with the contract. Someone in the "Quality Records" pointed out that the retention periods were otherwise just minimum requirements. This is correct. You may decide for you own protection to have longer retention periods.

So why all the hoopla over retention and disposal. I believe Quality Records are a liability concern for OEMs as they are careful to point out in paragraph 5. I think they are saying "keep them for atleast this long for our sake, consider your own organizational needs, any governmental needs, but then be sure to dispose of them when their usefulness has expired". This protects them, and to some degree you. Also, managing useless data is a nonvalue added process the Customer is not willing to pay for.

I hope I haven't muddled it up for you or anyone else, but perhaps other folks could add or subtract to/from my posting. Back to the group...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Replaced part affecting service life? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
Q How to apply 21 CFR Part 11 and/or cGMP in the Life Sciences industry Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
A How can we find the relation between life time and durability test in automotive part Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 8
D Sterilization Shelf Life Testing for a part that is gamma sterilized EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Are bearings part of "Shelf Life" inventory? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 10
Randy Part of my life philosophy...How about you? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 18
H Record Retention Time of Part Life + 1 Year Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 7
L PO's & EDI, for the life of the part Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
C Quality Records - PO's (Purchase Orders) - Life of part + 1 Year Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
M PPE shelf life Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
K EU Shelf life claims for individual materials EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Product (Device) Life cycle - Product Life AFTER the Post Market Phase Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
R Expected life span of Medical devices - X-Ray based diagnostic medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P Disposables Shelf Life Expiration US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
C Medical Device Shelf life studies 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
F Procedure for Device End of Life/Obsolescence Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
Y Commanded life cycle management tool IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
D Standard guide for shelf life determination of non sterile component with degradation materials Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
shrutisancheti Predicate device accelerated aging - 1 year of shelf life is already over Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Ed Panek Is Shelf Life Change a significant change? CE Marking CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
M Informational Draft ANSM’S GUIDELINE Cybersecurity of medical devices integrating software during their life cycle Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
optomist1 DFMEA - Real Life Drama FMEA and Control Plans 25
Q ISO 14001:2015 accredited but import most product - CB Raised minor NC on Life Cycle Perspective ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
A Defining Expected Service Life in Risk Management File Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
T No Defined Shelf Life/Expiration Date - Disposable single-use, non-invasive, non-sterile Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
M End of Life or Device transfer regulations for Legal Manufacturer Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
H Frequency of shelf life/sterilization/bench studies conducted on a medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
K How to define Expected life service life of medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
L Cytotoxicity at the end of life-time Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
W Shelf life and accelerated aging ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B Shelf life of molded and extruded pebax Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R Medical Device, Warranty Influences Expected Service Life Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
J 510k - Product shelf life validation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Medical Device End of Life and Complaints 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
R ISO 14001:2015 Life Cycle Perspective ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 11
R Product life cycle and compliance obligation ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
K Food Shelf Life Stability Study Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
R Life Cycle Assessment of a Product Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
I Device Shelf Life Extension to 48 months without involving the FDA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Shelf Life of Combination Sets for Class II Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Y Shelf Life of Non-Sterile Disposable Drug Inhaler 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
shimonv Over-Labeling Sterile Packaging - Shelf Life 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D Ethylene Oxide Sterile Implantable Medical Device Shelf Life Extension Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Accelerated Service Life Test for Medical Devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
E Manufacturer's responsibility to notify the NB regarding Medical Device End-of-Life CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
N Sample Size Justification for Medical Device Shelf-Life Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
W Determining Asset Life or Depreciation Life for M&TE General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
N Class 2 Medical Device Use Life Testing Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
A End of Life for Medical Mobile App (Stand Alone Software) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 5
N Do ISO 9001 and ISO 13485 have requirements for Shelf-Life? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7