Limited Range Calibration - 5000 lb Industrial floor scale

Devin A

Involved In Discussions
Good day all,

I have a question regarding calibration on an industrial floor scale at a tier 1 automotive plant. We use a scale to measure our finished product for an extra layer of verification that everything internal is there. This is a pretty high capacity scale compared to our used range. The scale has a 5000lbs max capacity, and our finished product is less than 400lbs. We use an external 17025 accredited calibration company to handle most of our gauge calibration, however they are only capable of calibrating scales up to 600lbs.

Would calibrating a limited range that exceeds our used range be sufficient for an IATF audit? The scale is only used for this one task, so we would never use it for anything beyond the calibrated range. The calibrated range would be noted physically on the scale as well as in the calibration record. I'm already working on quotes from providers that can calibrate the full range, however if the partial range is sufficient for IATF then our current calibration provider will be significantly less expensive and easier to plan overall.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
You only need to calibrate the scale in the range you are using it for. There is no requirement for calibration of the full range of the scale. This is true for all measurement equipment.

Devin A

Involved In Discussions
You only need to calibrate the scale in the range you are using it for. There is no requirement for calibration of the full range of the scale. This is true for all measurement equipment.
Perfect! That's exactly what I needed. Thank you very much for your time. I get the feeling my supervisor will still push for full range calibration but at least now I know I'm covered with the used range calibration and don't need to push to try to get someone else in on time to do the full range.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Explain the cost factor. If your supervisor wants to throw away money for no reason there is nothing you can do.

Top Bottom