Limited Scope for second site Question?

Good afternoon All,

My company has a second site (warehousing & Distribution Facility) with a very limited scope "responsible for the activities directly related to receipt, verification, identification, handling, storage and shipping of product". Our Internal Audit, and third party audit is coming up.

Based on our process approach (8 total process), Site # 2 processes are only those consistent with
1) Operations
Operations consist of Planning/logistics/inventory management/shipping/receiving/material handling/document control.
2) Finance
Finance consists of Payroll/Accounts Receivable/Etc. (But directly handled at a corporate level Site#1)
3) Quality
Quality only consists of direction from a corporate standpoint. No receiving inspection is conducted at Site#2.
4) Human Resources (But Directly handled at a corporate level site#1)

My question is. Since everything else is done, and controlled by Site #1 "Corporate", would I have to audit all clauses of ISO 9001? Or only those pertaining to Operations? Site #2 only has 4 to 5 procedures based on the scope of the organization, and all other items/processes are directly handled at the corporate facility which is Audited separate from site #2.

For Example: Clause 6.2 Quality Objectives and planning to achieve them.
Site #2 would not have any inputs on this. Determining what goes in and out of Site # 2 is at a corporate level. and would be audited via Internal/3rd party at Site #1. Is this acceptable? Or would they still need to see this during the 3rd party audit? Couldn't I just refer to the Site#1 Audit if that's the case?

Thank you in advance for your help/recommendations.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
From what you say your second site is an extension to your one system; covered by the one scope statement for that system.

That being so you may choose to simply document the clauses from the standard that are not applicable to the second site stating also the reason for each clause excluded.

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
would I have to audit all clauses of ISO 9001?
Good day @DeKamp ;
@John Broomfield has given you some wise council.

I would like to add an additional thought if I may. You mention "...audit all clauses of ISO 9001", which makes me believe your organization to may wish to reconsider its approach. To audit to "...clauses of ISO 9001", it misses the intent of the authors/standard, when it refers to the "process approach".

Nowhere in the ISO 9001 standard does it require to audit "...the clauses..." . On the contrary, the standard requires a "process approach". The ISO authors have, for many years now, been trying to change the mindset and culture of siloed/independent clauses and instead of get us to view the QMS through the established processes. Your organization has "...determine(d) the processes needed for the quality management system"...(clause 4.4.1).

Summary:
Don't overthink it. View your organization, the risks, the NEED to audit specific processes (or not), required frequency based on the risk, changes, etc...through the clauses, their sequence and interaction. You may find areas of "torch passing" between site 1 and site 2 as some of the greatest risk and, therefore, in need of auditing.

Hope this helps.
Be well.

@John Broomfield
@John C. Abnet

Thank you very much for the details in your replies. I am currently very new to my current position. And the previous QM left there QMS in shambles. So I have been trying to inundate myself in learning the ISO req. I have currently created a Sequence and Interactions chart with highlights for Site #1 & and those that duplicate themselves in Site #2. However I am lacking experience with Auditing and the "Process Approach"

Thank you again for your help.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N ISO 9001 certification with limited scope ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Control of Duplicate Documents - Limited Scope (long) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
B Is limited scope a CAPA System Weakness? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 14
N QMS Scope length limited to 10 to 15 words maximum - How is that possible? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Limited Scope in Quality System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S How PMEL does a limited calibration - Tensiometers ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
J Design Control - Can Validation be based on a limited/first Production Run ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T How to study for the SQE exam but am limited on funding Career and Occupation Discussions 1
M Offered Management Position - Limited Experience - Any Concerns? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 13
S Differentiate ISO 9001 System MNC vs. Public Limited Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
AnaMariaVR2 Agila Specialties Private Limited Warning Letter US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
D How is transport of Dangerous Goods (limited quantity) regulated for Bulk Transport? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
M Conducting Limited Internal Audits of QMS Elements - Simple question I hope ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
P Capability Analysis for Limited Resolution (thickness of sheets) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
J O & D can not be predetermined, assigned or limited by the customer, only the S. FMEA and Control Plans 1
M Limited Calibrations - An instrument that will not pass a full calibration, OOT General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
M Limited manufacturing release (LMR) vs. Full manufacturing release (FMR) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C Company is not FDA/ISO regulated - Limited ISO/FDA experience in Resume! Career and Occupation Discussions 8
D Control of Records limited to ISO 9001 Required Records - ISO 9001 Clause 4.2.4 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 1
G Limited Calibration requirements in ISO 13485 - Temperature controller ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
P Are Sales Offices with limited and controlled tasks Remote Locations IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Limited Duty Workers - If a person is hurt on the job and transferred to another job Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
D Certification - Changing from 'Partnership' to 'Private Limited Company' Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
R Cl. 4.15 Limited Shelf Life materials ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
I IATF Lab Scope Testing Qualification and Competency Documentation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Crimpshrine13 Laboratory Scope - Calibration vs. Test Methods - IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
silentmonkey Are risks in supply chain and development activities within scope of MDD? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Scope of ISO 9001 clause 10.2 in the product life cycle ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A IATF 16949 4.3.1 - Determining the scope of the quality management system - supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
G APQP Scope and scale tool APQP and PPAP 2
R NRTL - Scope Question - Off-the-Shelf Plug In IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
D ISO 9001:2015 4.3 Determining the Scope of the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Scope of Combined ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 QMS - Non-automotive customers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
O MDSAP Reduction in Scope Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
D Do non-IATF customers need to be included in audit scope? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
K Restricted Scope of ISO 13485 Certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C IATF 16949 - Scope or not? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Similar scope medical products connected by WIFI US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
N IATF 16949:2016 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - How to approve the Testing Laboratory without accreditation scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
qualprod To raise a NC beyond the audit scope? Two signatures were missing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
D CE Marking Requirements MDD & MDR - new product development covered under same scope EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P Scope of application for IEC 60601-1-11 Medical electrical equipment — Part 1-11 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M ISO 27001 ISMS scope for companies with subsidiaries IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
T AS9100D - Scope of QMS for New Company - Only Choosing a Function Subset Due to Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
R Scope of ISO 13485 certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Scope of Facility - Our auditor asked us last week for our "Scope of the Facility" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
L Dying a slow SCOPE death - NEW ISO APG Paper on Scope and Applicability May 2020. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
P Dropping ISO 9001 limits the scope of the ISO 13485 audit? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
W Scope of MRB (Material Review Board) Responsibilities Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5