Limited Scope for second site Question?

DeKamp

Involved In Discussions
Good afternoon All,

My company has a second site (warehousing & Distribution Facility) with a very limited scope "responsible for the activities directly related to receipt, verification, identification, handling, storage and shipping of product". Our Internal Audit, and third party audit is coming up.

Based on our process approach (8 total process), Site # 2 processes are only those consistent with
1) Operations
Operations consist of Planning/logistics/inventory management/shipping/receiving/material handling/document control.
2) Finance
Finance consists of Payroll/Accounts Receivable/Etc. (But directly handled at a corporate level Site#1)
3) Quality
Quality only consists of direction from a corporate standpoint. No receiving inspection is conducted at Site#2.
4) Human Resources (But Directly handled at a corporate level site#1)

My question is. Since everything else is done, and controlled by Site #1 "Corporate", would I have to audit all clauses of ISO 9001? Or only those pertaining to Operations? Site #2 only has 4 to 5 procedures based on the scope of the organization, and all other items/processes are directly handled at the corporate facility which is Audited separate from site #2.

For Example: Clause 6.2 Quality Objectives and planning to achieve them.
Site #2 would not have any inputs on this. Determining what goes in and out of Site # 2 is at a corporate level. and would be audited via Internal/3rd party at Site #1. Is this acceptable? Or would they still need to see this during the 3rd party audit? Couldn't I just refer to the Site#1 Audit if that's the case?

Thank you in advance for your help/recommendations.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
From what you say your second site is an extension to your one system; covered by the one scope statement for that system.

That being so you may choose to simply document the clauses from the standard that are not applicable to the second site stating also the reason for each clause excluded.

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
would I have to audit all clauses of ISO 9001?

Good day @DeKamp ;
@John Broomfield has given you some wise council.

I would like to add an additional thought if I may. You mention "...audit all clauses of ISO 9001", which makes me believe your organization to may wish to reconsider its approach. To audit to "...clauses of ISO 9001", it misses the intent of the authors/standard, when it refers to the "process approach".

Nowhere in the ISO 9001 standard does it require to audit "...the clauses..." . On the contrary, the standard requires a "process approach". The ISO authors have, for many years now, been trying to change the mindset and culture of siloed/independent clauses and instead of get us to view the QMS through the established processes. Your organization has "...determine(d) the processes needed for the quality management system"...(clause 4.4.1).

Summary:
Don't overthink it. View your organization, the risks, the NEED to audit specific processes (or not), required frequency based on the risk, changes, etc...through the clauses, their sequence and interaction. You may find areas of "torch passing" between site 1 and site 2 as some of the greatest risk and, therefore, in need of auditing.

Hope this helps.
Be well.

DeKamp

Involved In Discussions
@John Broomfield
@John C. Abnet

Thank you very much for the details in your replies. I am currently very new to my current position. And the previous QM left there QMS in shambles. So I have been trying to inundate myself in learning the ISO req. I have currently created a Sequence and Interactions chart with highlights for Site #1 & and those that duplicate themselves in Site #2. However I am lacking experience with Auditing and the "Process Approach"

Thank you again for your help.

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
May we inquire as to where you are located geographically @DeKamp ? Maybe one of us can recommend someone in your area to council with.

Be well.

Top Bottom