Linear measuring device that can accurately measure 0.00001 or better - Suggestions?

J

Jeremy S

Our company is currently using a Pratt and Whitney model A super micrometer for doing our calibrating of plug gages. I am currently trying to fill out a request form for a new linear measuring device, all I have found are the new Pratt and Whitney Labmaster/Supermicrometers the Helios HelioCOM, and a couple models of the Mahr Measuring machines. I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for a device that can accurately (.00001 or better) measure (threaded and plug) ID, (threaded and plug) OD, indicators, and maybe even micrometers, but that isn’t necessary.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R
I may have some suggestions but would rather discuss them outside this forum. My email address is in my profile.
Mike

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Perhaps one of the newer version laser super mics would work well, or a high end vision system.

R

Ryan Wilde

Actually, if you have a Model A supermic, there is a company in California that will upgrade it with a laser that makes its error ± (1.5 µin + 1 µin/in) basic accuracy. I have one, and I can hold to ± 5 µin total instrument uncertainty, even taking in temperature, etc.

The price of the upgrade is MUCH lower than buying a new machine. If you want the name of the company, e-mail or PM me here in the forums.

Ryan

Govind

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
measurement solution

Marc said:
Anyone here have any recommendations?
Marc, You have resurrected this thread after 3 years. Is there a possibility this person already found a solution? :D
Anyways, To answer the question from a metrology point of view, Horizontal Metroscope is a good option. The user also wants to measure thread plug and ring gauges. Horizontal Metroscope has these attachments (ID thread measurement has limitations. I remember starts from size 1/2" or M12). There are only very few reputed ones making this equipment to this accuracy. To name a few: Carl Zeiss-SIP Germany, Trimos Switzerland.

Regards,
Govind.

G

Gweber

I think Davis Inotek Instruments has a device that can accurately measure 0.00001 or better. we've sent ours out to them...I think they sell the devices as well.

W

wallyqc

Jeremy S said:
Our company is currently using a Pratt and Whitney model A super micrometer for doing our calibrating of plug gages. I am currently trying to fill out a request form for a new linear measuring device, all I have found are the new Pratt and Whitney Labmaster/Supermicrometers the Helios HelioCOM, and a couple models of the Mahr Measuring machines. I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for a device that can accurately (.00001 or better) measure (threaded and plug) ID, (threaded and plug) OD, indicators, and maybe even micrometers, but that isn’t necessary.
What did you settle on?

A

Arvind

0.00001 accuracy- Is it of a millimeter or an inch?

It is not clear to me whether the accuracy required is in metric or British system?
Answer will vary based on system.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Acceptable calibration accuracy of a 60" linear measuring device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
S Measurement Uncertainity of Linear Measuring Equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
K I’m looking for a square probe for my linear height gauge Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
T Linear Measurement - Radius Center or Intersection Point? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
P Basic Minitab Help - It's about Linear Regression Using Minitab Software 1
S IEC 60601-2-27: What does "linear within ±20% of the full scale output" mean? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
B Linearity study on a non-linear gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
C Accuracy Equation - Linear gage with a stated accuracy of (1.5+L/50) ?m L= mm General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
E How does Non-Linear UUT affect TAR (Test Accuracy Ratio) Calculation? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
G Laser Precision Linear Measurement - Inherrent Accuracy of 10 -6 - Nice PDF Paper General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
W Zero setting of correlation graph when plotting best fit linear regression Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
G Minitab GLM (General Linear Model) - Problem with recognition of Level Using Minitab Software 1
W General Linear Model - Formatting Data Six Sigma 3
N Linear Regression Formula with Four Variables to a Power Regression Formula Using Minitab Software 2
Ronen E Ethicon recalls some ECHELON 60 ENDOPATH? STAPLER Endoscopic Linear Cutter lots Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
S How to interpret a Linear Regression in Minitab? Using Minitab Software 3
M Attribute GLM (Generalized Linear Models) with Minitab Using Minitab Software 4
C Degrees of Freedom with Linear Regression - Pressure Sensor Uncertainty Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 15
S Interpreting Linear Regression Results from Minitab Using Minitab Software 15
C Sample Size: Why are Sample Sizes not Linear according to the Lot Size? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
S How to overload a linear transformer with multiple protective devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
M Uncertainty a Angle using Linear Height (goniometer) Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
D NLEC (Non-Linear Error Correction) vs. SLEC (Segmented Linear) Calibration Technique Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
W Discrete vs. Continuous Variables and Linear Regression. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
S How to represent interactions in non-linear regression analysis in Minitab Using Minitab Software 5
A Linear Least Squares in Minitab Using Minitab Software 2
S Regression testing / Linear Analysis - Can you use dates in regression models? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
D How do I measure Pounds per Linear Inch (PLI) of a Continuous Wire? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S Display confidence intervals for non-linear relationship Using Minitab Software 4
M Appropriate Retention Periods - Digital linacs (linear accelerators) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
D "Circular Thinking vs Linear Thinking" - Your Thoughts? The Reading Room 13
G Count By Weight Scale - Calibration within specification, but not linear General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
P Find the best fit of data: linear or quadratic Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
C Every problem in world has linear regression equation ?!!?? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
M Linear Regression: What should be the appropriate value for R2 (R-Squared) parameter? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G Document Format - Flow Charts vs. Strictly Linear Text for Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
D Circular vs. Linear - We look at systems the wrong way Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 25
K Measuring Function MEDDEV 2.1/5 relation with MDD 93/42/EEC CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M Measuring FIM (TIR) - Two inside diameters - Conflicting readings between inspectors Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
ScottK Measuring thread flank angle on a screw Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
D ASTM C1064 Temperature Measuring Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B Measuring and monitoring equipment - Understanding which procedures to be compliant with ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C ISO 9001:2015 Monitoring and measuring resources. Application a service industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
V Ammeter calibration - Measuring head (on pic.) problem General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Monitoring and measuring resources - Example of how section ISO 9001 7.1.5 would apply to a manufacture of software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A CE mark - Measuring Instruments Directive confusion! CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
M Measuring Capability of Process with Multiple Specifications Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
E ISO 13485 7.6 Control of monitoring and measuring equipment - Assess the Validity ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Measuring fine tubing (< 0.100") "Wall by weight" General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
G Posting Measuring Equipment Accuracy for User Information General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4