Linearity Analysis - Measurement System Analysis - AIAG MSA Manual 3rd Edition

D

datony

linearity analysis (msa 3 edition)

i get questions on MSA Manual of 3rd edition. in the manual, in page 93, there is an equation to calculate the slope "a",from figure 11 in page 95,we get the value of "a" is "-0.131667",but i can't make this value out through the equation stated above using the data in table 5 and table 6 in page 94/95.
i wonder if the equation is wrong or the value from figure 11 is wrong? it has puzzled me for a long time since i read the 3rd edition.
i'm waiting for your answer!thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: linearity analysis (msa 3 edition)

If I remember right, 2nd edition MSA used only bias averages(plotted on y axis) against Nominal values or levels (on x axis) for regression line. So if you have 5 levels, it used 5 points through which the regression line was drawn. Now, in the third edition, it uses ALL the points (g*m= 5 levels * 12 values at each level = 60 points).

D

datony

still have question:)

Atul Khandekar said:
If I remember right, 2nd edition MSA used only bias averages(plotted on y axis) against Nominal values or levels (on x axis) for regression line. So if you have 5 levels, it used 5 points through which the regression line was drawn. Now, in the third edition, it uses ALL the points (g*m= 5 levels * 12 values at each level = 60 points).
ok, I wonder if "xi" is the value given in table 5 in page 94, for example, x1=2.70, while "yi" is the value given in table 6 in page 95,for example, y1=0.7? But if I calculate these "a","b","s","ta","tb" using the "xi","yi" into the equations given in page 93,94, I can't get the exact value as given in the manual. I've calculate them in excel, the result is a=-0.14114,b=0.785969,s=0.2746,ta=-9.823,tb=8.496. I have sent you an e-mail on how can I make out these values which is different from these given in 3rd edition MSA. Please check it! The title of the e-mail is "linearity analysis" .
I know that the "a" and "b" is exactly the same in both the 2nd edition and 3rd edition MSA, but the equaltions are different,how could they make out the same values? I'm really puzzled about it, and hope you can help me! Thank you very much!

D

datony

I can't sent you an attatchment!

I want to sent you an e-mail on how I analyze the linearity,but i can't sent an attachment to you unless I get your e-mail address. My e-mail: [email protected], hope you can give your e-mail address to me.

M

Marie_2007

Bias Computation

Hello!

Could you please send me also a copy of the analysis for linearity? My e-mail ad is {e-mail ad Removed}. How about the analysis and computation of bias based on MSA 3rd edition?
Please help me compute lower and upper control limits for bias?

Thank you.:)

Note:Your email ID was removed in order to prevent spam bots from harvesting emails from forums pages. Since you have enabled emailing from your user profile, members can contact you that way. - Atul.

J

jscholz

Re: still have question:)

ok, I wonder if "xi" is the value given in table 5 in page 94, for example, x1=2.70, while "yi" is the value given in table 6 in page 95,for example, y1=0.7? But if I calculate these "a","b","s","ta","tb" using the "xi","yi" into the equations given in page 93,94, I can't get the exact value as given in the manual. I've calculate them in excel, the result is a=-0.14114,b=0.785969,s=0.2746,ta=-9.823,tb=8.496. I have sent you an e-mail on how can I make out these values which is different from these given in 3rd edition MSA. Please check it! The title of the e-mail is "linearity analysis" .
I know that the "a" and "b" is exactly the same in both the 2nd edition and 3rd edition MSA, but the equaltions are different,how could they make out the same values? I'm really puzzled about it, and hope you can help me! Thank you very much!
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but this thread has caught my attention, since I have trouble with calculating a, b and s overall. I'm working with the 3rd Edition of MSA, but I'm noty able to calculate the correct results you mentioning. My results: a=-0.0328, b=0.1437, s=0.09614, ta=6.5203, tb=1.56153. It seems I misinterpret the formulas on page 93 wrong; can you give me some advice? I'm using Excel. Thanks.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Try the Excel file MSA 3rd Ed.xls in this thread.

There is a tab for the linearity study. The calculations are in the columns to the right with the text turned white. Just select a large section an color the text black to see the formulae.

J

jscholz

Try the Excel file MSA 3rd Ed.xls in this thread.

There is a tab for the linearity study. The calculations are in the columns to the right with the text turned white. Just select a large section an color the text black to see the formulae.
Thanks for your quick response. That will help me a lot.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Interpretation of MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Linearity and Bias Study Results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Rameshwar25 Linearity Problem (MSA - Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Miner Intro to Measurement System Analysis (MSA) of Continuous Data – Part 3: Linearity Imported Legacy Blogs 15
S Stability, Bias and Linearity samples - Measurement Systems Analysis Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
L Measurement System Analysis (MSA) - Bias, Linearity and Stability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 23
A Acceptance p-value for linearity and bias analysis in minitab results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
L Gage Linearity and Bias Study Analysis - Minitab help needed Using Minitab Software 4
F Linearity Analysis - MSA 3rd edition, March 2002 page 93 formulas Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D Linearity Analysis - AIAG's MSA Manual 3rd Edition - Question Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
M Test method validation - Is MSA (MSA1, MSA2, MSA3 and linearity) a good solution? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
A The FILE recommended by AIAG MSA 4ed for LINEARITY Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
W Using MPE (Mean Percentage Error) for Linearity and Type-1 study Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
B Linearity study on a non-linear gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
P Purpose of calculating Ta, Tb & R Square in Linearity Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M How calculate P value for Linearity and Bias using Excel Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
P The correct way to do a Linearity and Stability Study on a Critical Dimension Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
E Company-wide MSA - Measurement Equipment Bias, Linearity & Stability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G Bias & Linearity Study and the Uncertainty of Standards Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
M Are Bias, Stability, and Linearity studies required by TS 16949 7.6.1? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
E Gage Linearity and Bias Questions Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
E How to Properly Apply Linearity - How does it "Fit"? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
I Difficulty with calculated t-value for Linearity Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
T Bias & Linearity Study - How to calculate the P value for the Average Bias Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
A Bias Linearity Stability MSA Excel File with Formula Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Profilometer Patch - Gain does not match, Linearity and Stylus = Good General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
V Excel Linearity Chart - drawing 95% CI line & set X-axis at the bottom Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
C Linearity and Bias Study Compliance Requirements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
Rameshwar25 Linearity Study - Tolerance for which Ref Value Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
Rameshwar25 Trendline-Linearity - Questions related to Linearity study graph Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
T Gage Bias and Linearity - How to interpret the Minitab results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
Rameshwar25 MSA Manual 4th Edition, Page 100 - What is wrong in the Linearity graph? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
C "Destructive" Linearity Study Methodology Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
S MSA 4th Edition formats in Excel wanted - GR&R, Bias, Stability and Linearity Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
F R-sq index in Linearity study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
J Uncertainty Budget for the Optical Microscope - Deriving Linearity Uncertainty Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Linearity Calculation Worksheet (including formula) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Linearity, BIAS & Stability - How many studies do I need to do for a device? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
L Recommend a 3rd Party Certifier for Master Value in Linearity & Bias Study General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Can any one help me in Linearity calculations & acceptance criteria Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B In a Linearity Study covering the operating range is it necessary to do Bias Study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
M When to use Linearity and Bias - appropriate for paper tensile strength? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
A Linearity and Eccentricity Point Definitions - Ref: ISO/IEC 17025:2005 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
S If I do Linearity and Bias Studies, are Stability Studies Required? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
I R-sq Value is Almost Zero - Linearity Study Question Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B Any Easy Way to determine Linearity Study Acceptability? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
Ron Rompen MSA to perform Linearity and Stability studies on Variable Gauges with Minitab Ver 15 Using Minitab Software 6
V Linearity - R-sq evaluation - Where can we find R-sq evaluation criteria? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
A Linearity and Bias Study - Bias Study fails - Seeking advice Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
P Linearity & Bias Acceptable Percentage Guideline - Digimatic micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D MSA - Can Regular Calibration Replace Bias, Linearity and Stability Studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3