Linearity & Bias Acceptable Percentage Guideline - Digimatic micrometer

P

philiplim

Hi,

I'm doing a linearity study on my digimatic micrometer. I'm using Minitab 13 to analyse my results. May I know what is the acceptable percentage for linearity & bias and where can I find these guidelines?

I have attached the spreadsheet for your information.

Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
I have not seen a published set of guidelines for %Linearity. Have any others?

The AIAG MSA manual uses a different approach to assess suitability for Linearity. This method calculates the linearity regression line and applies "control" limits about the regression line based on the repeatability variation seen during the study.

If the Zero Bias/Zero Linearity line falls 100% within these "control" limits, the gage is considered acceptable for Linearity.

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
There used to be a calculation for a %Linearity/ %Bais number in MSA 2nd Edition. But I am not aware of any acceptance criteria defined on the basis of this percentage.

In the third edition, the acceptance for both Linearity and Bias is based on t-tests and confidence interval calculations. %Linearity concept is dropped.

According to AIAG's FAQs: :read:
------------------------
Q:Why did we drop the %Bias and %Linearity?
A:The reason we dropped the indices is that (1) there is no "correct" way to analyze them and (2) we want to focus on the understanding of the measurement system variability and sources of variation rather than on "acceptable" indices.

We went with the focus that the bias and linearity should be the statistical equivalent of zero -- consequently the confidence bounds and the test of hypothesis. If the bounds are large (i.e. the natural measurement system variability is large) then the bias can be statistically zero even though it may not be "emotionally" zero (i.e. a large percent in the old terms). However, because the variability is large, the system is unacceptable due to the other parameter evaluations and, furthermore, adjusting the bias (using this variation) can cause the bias to become worse even though the calculated index becomes better -- ala Deming's funnel experiments.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Acceptance p-value for linearity and bias analysis in minitab results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
M How calculate P value for Linearity and Bias using Excel Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
E Company-wide MSA - Measurement Equipment Bias, Linearity & Stability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G Bias & Linearity Study and the Uncertainty of Standards Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
M Are Bias, Stability, and Linearity studies required by TS 16949 7.6.1? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
E Gage Linearity and Bias Questions Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
I Interpretation of MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Linearity and Bias Study Results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T Bias & Linearity Study - How to calculate the P value for the Average Bias Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
A Bias Linearity Stability MSA Excel File with Formula Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
C Linearity and Bias Study Compliance Requirements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
L Gage Linearity and Bias Study Analysis - Minitab help needed Using Minitab Software 4
T Gage Bias and Linearity - How to interpret the Minitab results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
S MSA 4th Edition formats in Excel wanted - GR&R, Bias, Stability and Linearity Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
M Linearity, BIAS & Stability - How many studies do I need to do for a device? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
L Recommend a 3rd Party Certifier for Master Value in Linearity & Bias Study General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
S Stability, Bias and Linearity samples - Measurement Systems Analysis Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
B In a Linearity Study covering the operating range is it necessary to do Bias Study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
M When to use Linearity and Bias - appropriate for paper tensile strength? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
S If I do Linearity and Bias Studies, are Stability Studies Required? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
A Linearity and Bias Study - Bias Study fails - Seeking advice Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
D MSA - Can Regular Calibration Replace Bias, Linearity and Stability Studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D Stability, Linearity vs. Bias - Do we need to compute them all? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
A Do we need to perform Stability, Linearity & Bias study for Attribute data? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
A Interpretation of output for Minitab - P value & %linearity or % bias Using Minitab Software 1
A Is minitab 'AIAG compliant' to perform GR&R, linearity and bias study? Using Minitab Software 4
M Laser Mike Insturment - MSA - Which (Bias, Linearity, Stability, R&R) are applicable? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
H MSA Excel .xls worksheet that includes GR&R (Gage R&R), Bias, Linearity, etc. Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 15
D Gauge R & R and stability, linearity and bias Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Courier MSA Tools - Excel templates for doing the Linearity & Bias, & Stability Studies Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 13
G Bias & Linearity Calculations and T Value Formula in the AIAG's MSA Manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A Error in MSA Manual - Discrimination - Bias Linearity Worksheet Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
B Scales - Gage R&R, Bias, Linearity, Stability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Z Linearity of Bias in MSA - Why is it important? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
R Acceptance Criteria for Linearity and Bias Studies - Engine Valves Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S 4.11.4 MSA is R&R Enough? Linearity, bias, stability necessary as well? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
J Gage R&R Software which provides Bias and Linearity Information Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
T Bias and Linearity with Slip Gauge: Low R-Squared Value Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
F Meeting the AIAG's MSA Manual Gage R&R Bias, Linearity, Stability requirements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 18
F Element 4.11.4 - Meeting the MSA requirements of bias, linearity, stability QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
A Bias Linearity and Stablility vs. Wide Tolerances vs. Process Capability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
D Gage R&R - Acceptance Criteria for Linearity, Bias, and Stability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M MSA Manual 3rd Edition - R&R, Linearity, Bias, Stability - Small Company Many Gages Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
L Measurement System Analysis (MSA) - Bias, Linearity and Stability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 23
M Test method validation - Is MSA (MSA1, MSA2, MSA3 and linearity) a good solution? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
A The FILE recommended by AIAG MSA 4ed for LINEARITY Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
W Using MPE (Mean Percentage Error) for Linearity and Type-1 study Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
B Linearity study on a non-linear gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
P Purpose of calculating Ta, Tb & R Square in Linearity Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
P The correct way to do a Linearity and Stability Study on a Critical Dimension Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
E How to Properly Apply Linearity - How does it "Fit"? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2