SBS - The best value in QMS software

Linearity Problem (MSA - Measurement System Analysis)

Rameshwar25

Quite Involved in Discussions
Whenever i have done linearity study, my calculated values never satisfied following criteria:
R-Sq to be more than 75%
Zero line to be within confi intervals
ta and tb to be less than t-value (2.001717 for gm=60, alpha=0.05)

can some1 look into my study data attached and tell me what is wrong here?

Can some1 share study data meeting these requirements?

Further, I would say that the examples given in MSA manual for Bias, Linearity, GRR - all are very unrealistic. for example, if we look into bias data given in manual, against reference value of 6.0, the reading vary from 5.6 to 6.4. For the same ref value of 6, how the actual measurements can vary to this extent.
In case of linearity, the readings for ref value 4 vary from 3.8 to 5.1. Is is practically possible to vary to this extent? Even if someone use an instrument with high least count (like measuring tape), this much variation seems impracticable?

I want covers' views on this matter..

Rameshwar

Attachments

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Rameshwar25

Quite Involved in Discussions
My question still goes unanswered. This is very important issue. I have discussed with some TS auditors and asked whether they have seen a measuring system without linearity problem.There was no clear answer.
The quality people said that they tried but never got OK result therefore discontinued.
My feeling is getting stronger that world's all measurement system's have linearity problem. .
Now we should discuss whether there is problem with the measuring systems or problem with formula/ requirements of AIAG manual.

I want MSA experts, who have always responded to my posts positively, to respond to this thread also. I am not finding any other way to clear my doubts.

Regards
rameshwar

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration with a Mask on...
Staff member
Admin
I'm bumping this thread again. My Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Whenever i have done linearity study, my calculated values never satisfied following criteria:
R-Sq to be more than 75%
Zero line to be within confi intervals
ta and tb to be less than t-value (2.001717 for gm=60, alpha=0.05)

can some1 look into my study data attached and tell me what is wrong here?

Can some1 share study data meeting these requirements?

Further, I would say that the examples given in MSA manual for Bias, Linearity, GRR - all are very unrealistic. for example, if we look into bias data given in manual, against reference value of 6.0, the reading vary from 5.6 to 6.4. For the same ref value of 6, how the actual measurements can vary to this extent.
In case of linearity, the readings for ref value 4 vary from 3.8 to 5.1. Is is practically possible to vary to this extent? Even if someone use an instrument with high least count (like measuring tape), this much variation seems impracticable?

I want covers' views on this matter..

Rameshwar
Hi.
I think nothing is wrong basically in your evaluation .
In the real world the linearity is not perfect ,with Rsq > 0,75 and slope = 0 ;
I finded in my activity some examples of gages with linearity with slope very close to zero and others with slope and t coefficients out of critical value .
But , in my opinion the true question is : "is the gage, with this linearity ( evaluated ) , acceptable for my use? "
The theoretical and matematical level of acceptability for linearity is very tight , is true .
The statistic expert say : linearity non acceptable !
The engineer say : if the maximum bias not overcome the admitted error
in the process the linearity is acceptable .
I compare the admitted error in the process for my gage ; if the maximum bias is less then the value of MPE ,
the gage can be used in the process.
I make a GRR study with this linearity , if the result is acceptable ,the gage can to be used in the process .
Strictly speaking , the bias line with zero slope is an abstract ,difficult to realize in a real industrial situation.
T

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Test method validation - Is MSA (MSA1, MSA2, MSA3 and linearity) a good solution? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
A Acceptance p-value for linearity and bias analysis in minitab results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
A The FILE recommended by AIAG MSA 4ed for LINEARITY Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
W Using MPE (Mean Percentage Error) for Linearity and Type-1 study Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
B Linearity study on a non-linear gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
P Purpose of calculating Ta, Tb & R Square in Linearity Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M How calculate P value for Linearity and Bias using Excel Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
P The correct way to do a Linearity and Stability Study on a Critical Dimension Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
E Company-wide MSA - Measurement Equipment Bias, Linearity & Stability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G Bias & Linearity Study and the Uncertainty of Standards Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
M Are Bias, Stability, and Linearity studies required by TS 16949 7.6.1? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
E Gage Linearity and Bias Questions Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
E How to Properly Apply Linearity - How does it "Fit"? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
I Difficulty with calculated t-value for Linearity Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
I Interpretation of MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Linearity and Bias Study Results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T Bias & Linearity Study - How to calculate the P value for the Average Bias Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
A Bias Linearity Stability MSA Excel File with Formula Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Profilometer Patch - Gain does not match, Linearity and Stylus = Good General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
V Excel Linearity Chart - drawing 95% CI line & set X-axis at the bottom Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
C Linearity and Bias Study Compliance Requirements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
L Gage Linearity and Bias Study Analysis - Minitab help needed Using Minitab Software 4
Rameshwar25 Linearity Study - Tolerance for which Ref Value Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
Rameshwar25 Trendline-Linearity - Questions related to Linearity study graph Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
T Gage Bias and Linearity - How to interpret the Minitab results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
Rameshwar25 MSA Manual 4th Edition, Page 100 - What is wrong in the Linearity graph? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
C "Destructive" Linearity Study Methodology Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
S MSA 4th Edition formats in Excel wanted - GR&R, Bias, Stability and Linearity Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
F R-sq index in Linearity study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
J Uncertainty Budget for the Optical Microscope - Deriving Linearity Uncertainty Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Linearity Calculation Worksheet (including formula) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Linearity, BIAS & Stability - How many studies do I need to do for a device? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
L Recommend a 3rd Party Certifier for Master Value in Linearity & Bias Study General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
Miner Intro to Measurement System Analysis (MSA) of Continuous Data – Part 3: Linearity Imported Legacy Blogs 15
B Can any one help me in Linearity calculations & acceptance criteria Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Stability, Bias and Linearity samples - Measurement Systems Analysis Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
F Linearity Analysis - MSA 3rd edition, March 2002 page 93 formulas Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
B In a Linearity Study covering the operating range is it necessary to do Bias Study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
M When to use Linearity and Bias - appropriate for paper tensile strength? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
A Linearity and Eccentricity Point Definitions - Ref: ISO/IEC 17025:2005 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
S If I do Linearity and Bias Studies, are Stability Studies Required? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
I R-sq Value is Almost Zero - Linearity Study Question Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B Any Easy Way to determine Linearity Study Acceptability? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
Ron Rompen MSA to perform Linearity and Stability studies on Variable Gauges with Minitab Ver 15 Using Minitab Software 6
V Linearity - R-sq evaluation - Where can we find R-sq evaluation criteria? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
A Linearity and Bias Study - Bias Study fails - Seeking advice Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
P Linearity & Bias Acceptable Percentage Guideline - Digimatic micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D MSA - Can Regular Calibration Replace Bias, Linearity and Stability Studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D Stability, Linearity vs. Bias - Do we need to compute them all? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
A Doubt on "MSA 3rd Linearity Example.xls" formula Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A Do we need to perform Stability, Linearity & Bias study for Attribute data? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3