SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Linking Control Plans and PFMEA's

I am looking for evidence in the IATF standard or the AIAG handbook that tells me that my controls from my PFMEA need to happen in the same operation as they do in the control plan. Basically, I have identified all my failures from a certain operation step in my FMEA where the failure is actually occurring. I cannot check or detect those failures until later on in the process. I have called out the attribute gauging at a later stage in my control plan and not in the steps that the failures are created and listed in my PFMEA. Auditor thinks my control plan should be calling out the control during those steps and not when it is actually happening and is using "line for line" literally. I interpret the standards to be "line for line" meaning we control all lines in the FMEA at some point in the control plan. If not, what is the "detect post processing" for in relation to the detection on the FMEA. I need the evidence from the standard to help prove my case. Please and thank you

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Staff member
I am looking for evidence in the IATF standard or the AIAG handbook that tells me that my controls from my PFMEA need to happen in the same operation as they do in the control plan. I need the evidence from the standard to help prove my case. Please and thank you
Good day @TJ ;
The question I believe you should be asking instead is...where is the requirement (implied/stated by the auditor) that the sequence/numbering on the control plan and those PFMEA must "match" ?

There is no such requirement. In fact, within the AIAG/VDA harmonized PFMEA approach, the AIAG has finally embraced/promotes family/foundation PFMEA. When such is applied, it is even more unlikely that the PFMEA and Control Plan sequence/numbering will match.

The INTENT of the PFMEA is to identify the potential failure modes and their risks.
The INTENT of the control plan is to identify (as the name implies) the process controls, including commensurate with the risks identified in the control plan.

If this is done, then your auditor needs to define the "problem" he or she is alluding to.

Hope this helps.
Be well.

Hello,

I think as the Control plan must be in line with PFMEA , the product and process characteristic which are defined in the PFMEA must be in the control plan. For users by soft (APIS, IQS, etc) are more easily understand this requirement because the soft can be offer this opportunity. For Excel or other tools which are not have possibility link the PFMEA with Control Plan is difficulty for understand and put in practical. So, not all functions from PFMEA will be control (added ) I the Control plan, just product characteristic and process characteristic with Special characteristic where is case. The Control plan have the 3 parts (Incoming, Manufacturing and Monitoring & control).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Linking Process Flow Charts, FMEAS and Control Plans for TS 16949 FMEA and Control Plans 4
E Linking of Process Control Plans To Process Documentation FMEA and Control Plans 6
T Software for linking Process Flow Diagram, Process FMEA and Control Plan APQP and PPAP 9
B Control of Documents in several languages and Document Linking ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Linking: Process Flow - 'Common' Process FMEAs - Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 11
F Linking an ISO 31000 Risk management SOP to ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
R Linking the Processes of Continual Improvement, Change Management, Risk Management, Action Planning, etc? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
F Linking customer claims to FMEA IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Linking Risk Management with Lessons Learned ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
V Linking the FMEA Causes & Action Plan with DOE Experiments or Experimentation Design FMEA and Control Plans 1
S Linking CARS (Corrective Action System) with the rest of our system Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
A FMEA - Linking Customers Complaints to an FMEA and Update ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Linking Procedures to ISO 17020 Clauses General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Linking a Gage Manufacturer by Serial Number Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
B Linking Quality Plan Objectives to the Business Plan? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
N Linking Business Process Map with Sub-Process Process Map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 39
N Linking BSC (Balanced Score Card) with Six Sigma Six Sigma 18
C Linking Acceptable Quality Levels (AQL) and Average Output Quality AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 7
D Hyperlinks in Microsoft Excel and Word - Linking Documents Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 12
A Linking ISO 9000 to Economic Value Added ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D GAMP CAT 5 Change Control Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
D Use Error Risk Controls and Control Verification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
S Maintenence related action in Control plan FMEA and Control Plans 3
M ISO 13485 and document control for programs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
R Control Methods in Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 4
M Design Control - Management of Electronic CAD files Design and Development of Products and Processes 11
S TSCA (Toxic Substances Control Act) PIP 3:1 RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 0
S Use of Attributes Control Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
U Appraiser Out of Control Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
L Looking for Control Plan and FMEA Stamping process FMEA and Control Plans 2
Z AS9100 Control of Nonconforming Outputs - Rework Dispositions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
K ASME, ANSI, ASTM and similar specifications and their requirements for document control. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
Z Software for design control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
K Quality Control/Assurance in the Metal Industry Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
K Defining risk control measures IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 14
J Warehouse temperature and humidity control EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Jimmy123 IATF16949 Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 1
D Control Number for Class III and IV devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
J Document Control Metrics Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
I Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Controlling Expandable Forms in Paper-Based Document Control System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
N ISO 13485 7.3.9 Change control in medical device software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C UDI Questions on Control Units Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
A Quality Control Datasheets Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M Control-self assessment Internal Auditing 5
GreatNate Master Control QMS software Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
A Prototype control plan FMEA and Control Plans 2
J Records Control - Does each individual record need to be numbered? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
shimonv Document Control Procedure Header Content Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
W FMEA - Current control and occurrence rating FMEA and Control Plans 3