Linking Quality Plan Objectives to the Business Plan?

B

Buford - 2010

Can anyone tell me what would be good evidence that the quality objectives are linked to the Business plan? This is for a 3rd party auditor - Smithers in fact.

I appricate any help available.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: Linking quality plan and business plan?

Buford, welcome!
Is the auditor standing there, right now?

Seriously - You should have something in a business plan that says things like "we're gonna improve our delivery performance, customer satisfaction and reduce waste in 2008......" There may be specific targets or goals of 5% or the like.

It would be reasonable to be able to show that operating areas had specific and achievable (SMART they call them) objectives which relate to their processes.

It's likely to be a 'story' than some kind of paperwork trail.........how you get from the global to the specific.

michellemmm

Quest For Quality

Can anyone tell me what would be good evidence that the quality objectives are linked to the Business plan? This is for a 3rd party auditor - Smithers in fact.

I appricate any help available.
Short answer...

QO are linked to BO through customer requirements and financial strength.

G

Geoff Withnell

Buford, welcome!

Seriously - You should have something in a business plan that says things like "we're gonna improve our delivery performance, customer satisfaction and reduce waste in 2008......" There may be specific targets or goals of 5% or the like.

It would be reasonable to be able to show that operating areas had specific and achievable (SMART they call them) objectives which relate to their processes.

It's likely to be a 'story' than some kind of paperwork trail.........how you get from the global to the specific.
Buford,
The best idea is not to insert something into the business plan to satisfy this requirement. It's better to start with the business plan (that's why we are all here) and decide what the appropriate quality goals would be to support the business plan, and make the quality plan accordingly.

Geoff Withnell

E

egarry

Buford, welcome!

Good answer. As people have often said, follow the money trail. If your resource needs aren't identified in the business plan, chances are you will struggle to get funding for your needs.
I have worked with some business plans that refer to a document called "Management Tactics". This method allows a business plan to be more stability but flexible to business needs. Stuff like Resource needs (people, equipment, facilities, training) are identifed in the tactics and kept as living document similar to an action plan approach. The tactics can then be reviewed during audits and Management Review meetings as evidence of linkage. Most of the items in the tactics aren't as sensitive as other items in the business plan.:agree1:

B

Buford - 2010

Buford, welcome!

I'm new to this, so I would like to thank everyone for your help! We have a quality manual which lays out our targets / goals and a good general plan meeting all the ISO/TS 16949 standards, It's the paper trail I thougt we maybe lacking.

Tracking of our studies adn changes is what I'm wondering about if maybe we need to have more detail available.

B

Buford - 2010

Buford,
The best idea is not to insert something into the business plan to satisfy this requirement. It's better to start with the business plan (that's why we are all here) and decide what the appropriate quality goals would be to support the business plan, and make the quality plan accordingly.

Geoff Withnell
From what I've read in other threads and what I've read here their job is just to determine we have a business plan, and a quality program preferrably written?

So a binder that shows objectives and what we use for measuremets should show the linkage between our Business Plan and Quality objectives - even if there's not much detail on the business side?

Again:thanx:

Last edited by a moderator:

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi Buford,
IMHO, on my previous company, what we did in our Department which was QA is to have an Annual Plan or sometimes they are called Company Goals / Business Plan. In which several objectives and targets were included, i.e. Engineering Change Notice Automation System. Then, this System is traced back to our Document Control Goals. Goals should have performance measures like % Timeliness of Engineering Change Notice Approval.
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Raffy:cool:

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Linking Acceptable Quality Levels (AQL) and Average Output Quality AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 7
S Linking control chart with control plan Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
T Linking Control Plans and PFMEA's FMEA and Control Plans 3
F Linking an ISO 31000 Risk management SOP to ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
R Linking the Processes of Continual Improvement, Change Management, Risk Management, Action Planning, etc? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
F Linking customer claims to FMEA IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Software for linking Process Flow Diagram, Process FMEA and Control Plan APQP and PPAP 9
M Linking Risk Management with Lessons Learned ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
V Linking the FMEA Causes & Action Plan with DOE Experiments or Experimentation Design FMEA and Control Plans 1
S Linking CARS (Corrective Action System) with the rest of our system Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
A FMEA - Linking Customers Complaints to an FMEA and Update ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Linking Procedures to ISO 17020 Clauses General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Linking a Gage Manufacturer by Serial Number Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
B Control of Documents in several languages and Document Linking ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
N Linking Business Process Map with Sub-Process Process Map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 39
N Linking BSC (Balanced Score Card) with Six Sigma Six Sigma 18
B Linking: Process Flow - 'Common' Process FMEAs - Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 11
M Linking Process Flow Charts, FMEAS and Control Plans for TS 16949 FMEA and Control Plans 4
E Linking of Process Control Plans To Process Documentation FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Hyperlinks in Microsoft Excel and Word - Linking Documents Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 12
A Linking ISO 9000 to Economic Value Added ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Supplier Audit - Looking for a quality audit checklist General Auditing Discussions 3
A How would a candidate for Quality Systems Manager role answer questions in a med device manufacturing org ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
F EU MDR Quality Plan template CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
M Quality Manager and Production Manager Advice Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
T What is a Quality Management System? Manufacturing and Related Processes 18
FRA 2 FDA Product NCRs- Quality Review Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
W Posting Non-Quality System instructions on the Production Floor Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
CaliperJim Cost of Quality calculation Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
Cats Clause Certified Quality Systems Ltd (CQS) accredited by International Accreditation Board Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
T Quality toolbox decision tree Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
Sidney Vianna A young Steve Jobs take on Quality, Marketing & Business Processes. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
hogheavenfarm Free Quality Professional Books Buy, Sell or Trade - NO Commercial Advertisements 11
T Stellantis supplier quality manual Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
lyobovnik Work From Home Exception for Quality Managers? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 19
T Accreditations as part of 9001 - Quality checks on your company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Product Quality Review API-GMP Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
M Who is performing quality control? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C I need your help to find the action plan for these quality objectives Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 23
R Quality policy review document IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T ISO quality system software such as MQ1 (which is what we currently use) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
M Quality 'Engagement' Effort Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
Q Quality role Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
bobdoering Is your quality department having a "No Chili" day? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
E Compressed air quality in ME equipment (used in OR) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
Steve Prevette I need a template to solve world hunger, a world class Quality Program, and make lots of money Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
A API Q1 9th Edition Surveillance Audit - Quality Policy Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
L Language of quality system in case of FDA inspection US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Q Quality Awareness 7.3 ISO 9001-2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J Quality Engineering Long Term Career Advice Career and Occupation Discussions 6