SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Links between Process Flow, Process FMEA and Control Plan

B

brutas

Hello everybody,

I have serious problem with our PFMEAs.
Our PFMEAs are process related documents. For example process Incoming inspection or process Final test...
Most of our customers require PFMEA to be made for their product only (for example: start with Incoming inspection and finishing with Shipping)
We cannot generate PFMEA for every single devise - they are hundreds!
Please advice is there any written rule? How to convince customers to accept PFMEAs made in such way?

Second question: Is there any written rule describing how Process flow and Control plan to be linked to the PFMEA? I need comprehensive guide (different from AIAG FMEA book)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
brutas said:
Hello everybody,

I have serious problem with our PFMEAs.
Our PFMEAs are process related documents. For example process Incoming inspection or process Final test...
Most of our customers require PFMEA to be made for their product only (for example: start with Incoming inspection and finishing with Shipping)
We cannot generate PFMEA for every single devise - they are hundreds!
Please advice is there any written rule? How to convince customers to accept PFMEAs made in such way?
If your customers are automotive, the general expectation is that PFMEAs will be based on individual products, because that's the way the APQP process is supposed to work. There are usually allowances made for "family" products--products for which your process is essentially the same. The soon-to-be obsolete 3rd Edition PPAP manual says, "Asingle Design or Process FMEA may be applied to a process manufacturing a family of similar parts or materials."

brutas said:
Second question: Is there any written rule describing how Process flow and Control plan to be linked to the PFMEA? I need comprehensive guide (different from AIAG FMEA book)
I don't know of a comprehensive guide, but I'm not sure one is necessary, either, insofar as the PFD-PFMEA-PCP progression is concerned. You start with the flow diagram, review each step or operation using the PFMEA process, and output from the PFMEA becomes the control plan. There should be one-to-one linkage by process or operation between the three documents, although not all of the operations or steps shown on the PFD and PFMEA will necessarily reach the control plan.

Example

Let’s try a simple example:

You have a production process for machining a metal part from raw stock that flows like this:
1 - Receiving
2 - Machining
3- Shipping
Of course, you have a process flow diagram that shows these steps.

In the PFMEA, number them the same way and list the process, potential failure mode, etc. across the page:
1-1 Receiving, incorrect components
1-2 Receiving, damaged components
1-3 etc.
2-1 Machining, incorrect setup
2-2 Machining, part incorrectly machined
2-3 etc.
3-1 Shipping, damaged parts
3-2 Shipping, corroded parts
3.3 etc.

In the Control Plan list them the same way with the Process Name, Control Method, etc. across the page:
1-1 Receiving, Incoming Inspection for Kind, Count and Condition Procedure
1-2 Receving, Incoming Inspection for Kind, Count and Condition Procedure
1-3 etc.
2-1 Machining, Machining Setup Instruction for part number XYZ.
2-2 Machining, Test and Inspection Instruction for part number XYZ.
2-3 etc.
3-1 Shipping, Packaging and Protecting for Shipment Procedure
3-2 Shipping, Oil coating of metal parts for shipment Procedure
3-3 etc.

Even if you machine 57 different parts you could use the same Control Plan for each, assuming that you have a specific Setup, Test and Inspection Procedure that is readily available for each part.

Don't forget "Special Characteristics"

If any of these parts have "special characteristics", don't for get to identify them with the proper symbol(s) in the PFMEA, Control Plan AND the individual Test/Inspection Instructions or Checksheets.

B

brutas

Jim Wynne said:
There should be one-to-one linkage by process or operation between the three documents, although not all of the operations or steps shown on the PFD and PFMEA will necessarily reach the control plan.
That's the problem: One of our customers insist that except all detection controls which have to be present in the Control Plan all prevention controls also have to be put the Control Plan. This is not relevant because how could you add in the Control Plan some prevention activity such "Regular operator training" - it is nonsense...
That's why I need comprehensive guide about how to link all these documents and to quote it at the customer...

brutas said:
That's the problem: One of our customers insist that except all detection controls which have to be present in the CP all prevention controls also have to be put the CP. This is not relevant because how could you add in the CP some prevention activity such "Regular operator training" - it is nonsense...
That's why I need comprehensive guide about how to link all these documents and to quote it at the customer...
Brutas, see above. Covering a steel part with oil as a corrosion protection in shipping is a preventive control. Would you want to ship from Bulgaria to Canada, across the Atlantic, without such a control?
-Icy

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
brutas said:
That's the problem: One of our customers insist that except all detection controls which have to be present in the CP all prevention controls also have to be put the CP. This is not relevant because how could you add in the CP some prevention activity such "Regular operator training" - it is nonsense...
If you have a comprehensive understanding of what you're doing and why you're doing it, you should be able to discuss the issue with a customer and explain why you do things the way you do. At that point, if the customer still isn't buying it, you have to either give up and do it their way or escalate the issue to higher management level.

brutas said:
You're not going to find any sort of publication lists all of the possible permutations. Furthermore, if you talk good sense with your customer and he still doesn't get it, approaching him with a book (especially one that lacks any sort of normative authority) isn't going to help. If a supplier comes to me with a better way of doing something, I listen. But if I listen and don't agree that the method is valid, reading a book about it probably won't help.

B

brutas

software?

OK,
Then please recommend some FMEA software (download trial version) which LINKS PF PFMEA and CP.
I want to see how the links are organized and thus what correlation is most appropriate.

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

brutas said:
OK,
Then please recommend some FMEA software (download trial version) which LINKS PF PFMEA and CP.
I want to see how the links are organized and thus what correlation is most appropriate.
Follow this link for the best integrated software I've run across (there are threads here which discuss PFMEA software - try a search to read some of those. Also, scroll down and check out the related threads listed towards the bottom of this page.). There is a link for a demo but I've not checked the demo version. Perhaps if Rich Harpster sees this he will contact you with further info.

I have no affiliation with HarpCo other than using their product.

http://harpcosystems.com/

R

ralphsulser

I once used a software that automatically generated, linked and updated both FMEA and Control Plan. This was in 1998, and was used exclusively for all the products at that company. It was called "Impact". I thought it was rather laborious at first, but after using it a few times was OK. This was a Tier 1 to GM, Ford, Chrysler, Mercedes, Freightliner, etc. I left there in 1999 and they were still using it.
Maybe some others here have used it and have further input.
However, I perfer jus plain old excel for the company I am with now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Links between ISO 9K:2K ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Informational Links to recognized / harmonised / consensus Standards for each market Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
T Where can I get a PPAP workbook in Excel .xls with links? APQP and PPAP 1
B PFMEA and Control Plan Links APQP and PPAP 2
B Does anyone have links to one sided CPK files? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
C Key Links (Library) to search for updated Clinical Data (Is & IIa) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Seeking Equipment Verification Standard Procedure books/guide/links Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
S World Health Organisation ? Medical Device Publications Links Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Ajit Basrur Links to Global Health Authorities and Organizations US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S Feedback from reading Jennifer Kirley's suggested 'motivation' reading links The Reading Room 2
Marc Broken links in food-safety chain hid peanut plants' risks Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 20
B Continuous improvement and Management review process links ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
J Floworks and Losing Links Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
Q Material, Links & Information on some basic exercise on PC DMIS & CMM Metrology Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
S References, links to Work Measurement, Time Study Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 4
W Copyright - Links in Posts Leading to Copyrighted Material on Other Web Sites Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 25
BradM A Web Page with Common Internet Web Site Links as Icons After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
H Links in Posts - Post Counts and Active Links in Posts Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 8
C Control Plan - Links to Customer Documents (e.g. Print) or the Actual Specifications? FMEA and Control Plans 22
Wes Bucey More reasons to think before clicking on links After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 12
Howard Atkins OEM Customer-Specific Requirements - IATF - Web Site Links Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
S FMEA, CP, SPC & MSA relationships and links (APQP Elements) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
W Subliminal teaching and training methods - Seeking Links / Resources Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
Govind ASQ Certifications Sample Exams & Links Professional Certifications and Degrees 31
J Software which links Process FMEA (PFMEA), Control Plan and Flow Chart Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 9
Claes Gefvenberg Web Cams - Share and Review your favourite Web Cams links! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 13
Q Outsourcing & the Control Plan (Ours and the Subcontractor's) - Links, etc. APQP and PPAP 10
I ISO 9001:2000 Graphical Icons - Looking for icons / graphics I can use it as links Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
D Navigating by Hyper Links Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Howard Atkins Public Links to Delphi Supplier Requirements on the Web Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
A Process Tool Attached - 'Process title page' to describe all links, COPs, MOPs, SOPs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S Seeking: Links or materials about Shainan techniques Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
S Control Plan and Design FMEA (DFMEA) Links FMEA and Control Plans 4
R ISO 14001 Implementation - The EPA's (US) Book and Links Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 10
S Inputs - Links To Processes - How to format Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Marc Uncertainty Information, Links and a Local Directory Listing Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
Marc Medical Device Industry Links ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A What is different between Field Safety Notice and Advisory Notice in U.S and EU? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
R Whats different between these position CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
G What's the difference between 1.32 and 1.33 Cpk? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 18
U How to pick between ANSI Z1.4 vs. ISO2859-1 for AQL Inspection? What are the major differences? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
H Independence between the development and testing IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
Moumen H Variations between ASTM A29 Standard for steel bars and Mill test certificates specs Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
N R&R for Differences between 2 measurements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
S Distinction between a critical supplier and a Virtual manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 2
I Сorrespondence between hazards and risks ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
W What is the difference between TYPE B and TYPE BF? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
T The difference between ISO 14644-3:2005 and ISO 14644:2019 Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
Q Terminal Lugs sizes - Difference between 225/24 vs. 275/24 lugs Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
T Relationship between ISO 9001 and ISO – IEC BS EN 870079- 34 2020 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5