Links in Posts - Post Counts and Active Links in Posts

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

harry

Super Moderator
Welcome Houxapa,

I am sorry that you are unable to post links. Since this feature was introduced, we were able to minimize activities of spammers. Unfortunately it also affect some bona-fide users. You can always send the links to Marc for further action.

H

Houxapa

Post Counts

Oh, nevermind.

I have posted six messages already and according to the system I have only posted 3. If you want to make it impossible for spammers, then fine, I understand.

But if someone posts 6, then it's 6 and not 3. There is no need to forward the links to Marc because if Marc is the webmaster, then he already has them. I've been trying to post for hours.

Maybe I'll be back in a few hours and see what's doing.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Oh, nevermind.

I have posted six messages already and according to the system I have only posted 3. If you want to make it impossible for spammers, then fine, I understand.

But if someone posts 6, then it's 6 and not 3. There is no need to forward the links to Marc because if Marc is the webmaster, then he already has them. I've been trying to post for hours.
You've been trying to post an active link for hours. This is not an issue of your not being able to post. Three of your posts were in 'business' forums, and 3 were in the Coffee Break forum.
Maybe I'll be back in a few hours and see what's doing.
I emailed you this:
Marc said:
If you want to put in an *active* (clickable) web site link you need at least 10 posts in 'business forums'. If you don't have 10 posts and want to put in a web site, just put in "website-name dot com"

NOTE: Posts in the Coffee Break forum do not count as posts. We set that 'standard' long ago because so many people were posting in the Coffee Break forum and not in the 'business' part of the forum. This is less of an issue now and I may change that, but that's the way its been for about 6 years.

If you have any other problems don't hesitate to contact me personally.
The moderators and I discussed this. My last post to them (many weren't moderators back then and may not have even noticed that posts in the coffee Break forum didn't count towards total post count):
Marc said:
That's the way it has been for years. As I explained to the person, some years back I set them to not count because some people were ONLY posting in the Coffee Break forum and racking up huge post counts. In part this was a reaction to a statistics hack I had which showed the people with the most posts. My intent was to 'reward' people for posting in the 'business' forums. Those are the posts that are most important to the forum focus and mission. I don't mind the other forums, and these days I don't have an issue with it - SO I just did click the software switch so posts in 'non-business' forums will now count.
However, this said, you're relatively new here and while we heartily invite your participation, the anger you have expressed is surprising. All you had to do was PM me for help if the link you want to put in is that important.

H

Houxapa

Re: Post Counts and Active Links in Posts

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your kind attention to the matter. I wasn't exactly angry... just frustrated because there was no way for me to know that only certain posts counted as legitimate posts and others did not.

I'm always on the lookout for articles and other online sources for business and marketing strategies. Similarly, I like to share the ones I find particularly informative and/or useful.

It was nothing earth-shattering. I'll probably come back another day when I have more time.

Cheers!

BradM

Staff member
Admin

Please do! We welcome your input. Please feel free to view all the threads and contribute as you see fit. See you around!!:bigwave:

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin

OK - After Moderator deliberations, the consensus is to go back to the long standing way of what conts as a post in a user's post count. Only 'business' forum posts will count towards a users total post count.

Reasoning: Same as original reason - In this way a user's post count will better reflect the user's participation in topics/forums that the forum was really set up to focus on.

Further discussion is welcome.

Manix

Get Involved!!!
Trusted Information Resource

Firstly I am not debating the point, I have no problem with the post count issue.

I would just like ask if anyone thinks that this rule sometimes leads to "irrelevant" threads being started in the business forums?

I know how :whip: the moderators are though and it is normally quickly moved to the appropriate thread.

Just a passing thought!

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator

I would just like ask if anyone thinks that this rule sometimes leads to "irrelevant" threads being started in the business forums?

I know how :whip: the moderators are though and it is normally quickly moved to the appropriate thread.
Hi, Manix -

It hasn't thus far - and as you say, the moderators are pretty quick to move threads to the correct forum.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Copyright - Links in Posts Leading to Copyrighted Material on Other Web Sites Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 25
M Informational Links to recognized / harmonised / consensus Standards for each market Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
T Where can I get a PPAP workbook in Excel .xls with links? APQP and PPAP 1
B PFMEA and Control Plan Links APQP and PPAP 2
B Does anyone have links to one sided CPK files? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
C Key Links (Library) to search for updated Clinical Data (Is & IIa) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Seeking Equipment Verification Standard Procedure books/guide/links Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
SteveK World Health Organisation ? Medical Device Publications Links Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Ajit Basrur Links to Global Health Authorities and Organizations US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S Feedback from reading Jennifer Kirley's suggested 'motivation' reading links The Reading Room 2
Marc Broken links in food-safety chain hid peanut plants' risks Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 20
B Continuous improvement and Management review process links ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
J Floworks and Losing Links Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
Q Material, Links & Information on some basic exercise on PC DMIS & CMM Metrology Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
sathis References, links to Work Measurement, Time Study Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 4
BradM A Web Page with Common Internet Web Site Links as Icons After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
C Control Plan - Links to Customer Documents (e.g. Print) or the Actual Specifications? FMEA and Control Plans 22
Wes Bucey More reasons to think before clicking on links After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 12
Howard Atkins OEM Customer-Specific Requirements - IATF - Web Site Links Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
S FMEA, CP, SPC & MSA relationships and links (APQP Elements) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B Links between Process Flow, Process FMEA and Control Plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 22
WALLACE Subliminal teaching and training methods - Seeking Links / Resources Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
Govind ASQ Certifications Sample Exams & Links Professional Certifications and Degrees 31
J Software which links Process FMEA (PFMEA), Control Plan and Flow Chart Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 9
Claes Gefvenberg Web Cams - Share and Review your favourite Web Cams links! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 13
Q Outsourcing & the Control Plan (Ours and the Subcontractor's) - Links, etc. APQP and PPAP 10
I ISO 9001:2000 Graphical Icons - Looking for icons / graphics I can use it as links Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
D Navigating by Hyper Links Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Howard Atkins Public Links to Delphi Supplier Requirements on the Web Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
A Process Tool Attached - 'Process title page' to describe all links, COPs, MOPs, SOPs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
I Links between ISO 9K:2K ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S Seeking: Links or materials about Shainan techniques Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
S Control Plan and Design FMEA (DFMEA) Links FMEA and Control Plans 4
R ISO 14001 Implementation - The EPA's (US) Book and Links Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 10
S Inputs - Links To Processes - How to format Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Marc Uncertainty Information, Links and a Local Directory Listing Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
Marc Medical Device Industry Links ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Informational FDA Posts Information about Ethylene Oxide Sterilization and Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Marc Search for Posts - By specific User Name(s) Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
Marc Forums - "Watching" One or More Forums for New Threads and New Posts Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
Marc New Posts and New Threads - Monitoring (aka "Watching") Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
Sidney Vianna LinkedIn bug - Anyone has any idea of how to fix this? Posts not showing for me in a Group feed. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Marc Latest Posts in Right Sidebar on the Forum Listing Home Page Forum News and General Information 6
J Downloading and/or Viewing Files Attached to Posts Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
Marc Plagiarism in Elsmar Cove Forum Posts Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 0
Marc Searching Linkedin Posts - What am I missing? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 14
Miner New MSA Blog Posts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Marc Copyright - Including Copyrighted Material from other Websites or Sources in Posts Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 12
Marc Jennifer Kirley - Over 4000 Posts! Covegratulations 26
S Congratulations to Jim Wynne for 10000 posts - 6 July 2010 Covegratulations 17