QMS for Life Sciences
Elsmar Cove Forum Sponsor
Social Distancing - It's not just YOUR life - It's ALL of OUR lives!
Me <——————— 6 Feet ———————-> You

Links in Posts - Post Counts and Active Links in Posts

harry

Super Moderator
Welcome Houxapa,

I am sorry that you are unable to post links. Since this feature was introduced, we were able to minimize activities of spammers. Unfortunately it also affect some bona-fide users. You can always send the links to Marc for further action.

H

Houxapa

Post Counts

Oh, nevermind.

I have posted six messages already and according to the system I have only posted 3. If you want to make it impossible for spammers, then fine, I understand.

But if someone posts 6, then it's 6 and not 3. There is no need to forward the links to Marc because if Marc is the webmaster, then he already has them. I've been trying to post for hours.

Maybe I'll be back in a few hours and see what's doing.

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
Oh, nevermind.

I have posted six messages already and according to the system I have only posted 3. If you want to make it impossible for spammers, then fine, I understand.

But if someone posts 6, then it's 6 and not 3. There is no need to forward the links to Marc because if Marc is the webmaster, then he already has them. I've been trying to post for hours.
You've been trying to post an active link for hours. This is not an issue of your not being able to post. Three of your posts were in 'business' forums, and 3 were in the Coffee Break forum.
Maybe I'll be back in a few hours and see what's doing.
I emailed you this:
Marc said:
If you want to put in an *active* (clickable) web site link you need at least 10 posts in 'business forums'. If you don't have 10 posts and want to put in a web site, just put in "website-name dot com"

NOTE: Posts in the Coffee Break forum do not count as posts. We set that 'standard' long ago because so many people were posting in the Coffee Break forum and not in the 'business' part of the forum. This is less of an issue now and I may change that, but that's the way its been for about 6 years.

If you have any other problems don't hesitate to contact me personally.
The moderators and I discussed this. My last post to them (many weren't moderators back then and may not have even noticed that posts in the coffee Break forum didn't count towards total post count):
Marc said:
That's the way it has been for years. As I explained to the person, some years back I set them to not count because some people were ONLY posting in the Coffee Break forum and racking up huge post counts. In part this was a reaction to a statistics hack I had which showed the people with the most posts. My intent was to 'reward' people for posting in the 'business' forums. Those are the posts that are most important to the forum focus and mission. I don't mind the other forums, and these days I don't have an issue with it - SO I just did click the software switch so posts in 'non-business' forums will now count.
However, this said, you're relatively new here and while we heartily invite your participation, the anger you have expressed is surprising. All you had to do was PM me for help if the link you want to put in is that important.

H

Houxapa

Re: Post Counts and Active Links in Posts

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your kind attention to the matter. I wasn't exactly angry... just frustrated because there was no way for me to know that only certain posts counted as legitimate posts and others did not.

I'm always on the lookout for articles and other online sources for business and marketing strategies. Similarly, I like to share the ones I find particularly informative and/or useful.

It was nothing earth-shattering. I'll probably come back another day when I have more time.

Cheers!

BradM

Staff member
Admin

Please do! We welcome your input. Please feel free to view all the threads and contribute as you see fit. See you around!!:bigwave:

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin

OK - After Moderator deliberations, the consensus is to go back to the long standing way of what conts as a post in a user's post count. Only 'business' forum posts will count towards a users total post count.

Reasoning: Same as original reason - In this way a user's post count will better reflect the user's participation in topics/forums that the forum was really set up to focus on.

Further discussion is welcome.

Manix

Get Involved!!!
Trusted

Firstly I am not debating the point, I have no problem with the post count issue.

I would just like ask if anyone thinks that this rule sometimes leads to "irrelevant" threads being started in the business forums?

I know how :whip: the moderators are though and it is normally quickly moved to the appropriate thread.

Just a passing thought!

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator

I would just like ask if anyone thinks that this rule sometimes leads to "irrelevant" threads being started in the business forums?

I know how :whip: the moderators are though and it is normally quickly moved to the appropriate thread.
Hi, Manix -

It hasn't thus far - and as you say, the moderators are pretty quick to move threads to the correct forum.

Top Bottom