Linux for gages

M

Mike Kaier

I'm in the early stages of developing a comprehensive gage tracking and calibration software suite that will run under the Linux operating system. This came about after 3 year of struggling with some of the current gage tracking software available. It occured to me that there must be a way to integrate the various functions involved with maintaining a gage tracking system.
My current employer owns a pair of Pratt & Whitney supermicroneters (internal and external) that are used to calibrate thread gages, plug gages, ring gages, etc. The software is not at all user-friendly, nor will it integrate with our tracking software. If this were not bad enough, Pratt & Whitney has indicated that they will not be supporting the Model C supermicrometer after this version of their Gage-cal software. I know that there are a large number of these instruments in use, and replaceing them is extremely expensive, so I'm going with the theory that it's more cost-effective to replace the out-moded software.
I've chosen the Linux OS because of it's open-source philosophy, and the fact that it is very secure. My proposed suite would combine all the needed functions for gage calibration and tracking, with archival functions that would allow the storing of manufacturers certs, vendor certs, and any other applicable documents for specific gages at the particular page for a specific gage.
As I stated earlier, I am in the early stages of development, but from what I've seen, it appears feasible.
My question is, do any of you folks have any suggestions? I'm listening to anything.:bigwave:

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm not a programmer, so I'll defer any expert reply to any who claim that title.

However, as I have been in recent months researching a calibration recall database for our lab, I have been in communications with a few of the calibration recall database producers. There is a previous thread titled I believe Scheduling Software (or something like that). In that thread are listed a number of recall database producers.

Some that I have communicated with have database programs that are modular (i.e.: can add in functionality at will). You may want to try a few phone calls to some of those vendors. They do like to make money. And perhaps some of them may have come up with resolutions to problems such as yours.

I know some of them have capability to interface directly to automated calibration programs, and storage of calibration records from various formats. Could be that some of those products may be able to solve your issue.

I am specifically avoiding naming names unless I name all the vendors (to avoid commercializing this forum).

Hope this is of some assistance.

Top Bottom