Linux for gages

M

Mike Kaier

I'm in the early stages of developing a comprehensive gage tracking and calibration software suite that will run under the Linux operating system. This came about after 3 year of struggling with some of the current gage tracking software available. It occured to me that there must be a way to integrate the various functions involved with maintaining a gage tracking system.
My current employer owns a pair of Pratt & Whitney supermicroneters (internal and external) that are used to calibrate thread gages, plug gages, ring gages, etc. The software is not at all user-friendly, nor will it integrate with our tracking software. If this were not bad enough, Pratt & Whitney has indicated that they will not be supporting the Model C supermicrometer after this version of their Gage-cal software. I know that there are a large number of these instruments in use, and replaceing them is extremely expensive, so I'm going with the theory that it's more cost-effective to replace the out-moded software.
I've chosen the Linux OS because of it's open-source philosophy, and the fact that it is very secure. My proposed suite would combine all the needed functions for gage calibration and tracking, with archival functions that would allow the storing of manufacturers certs, vendor certs, and any other applicable documents for specific gages at the particular page for a specific gage.
As I stated earlier, I am in the early stages of development, but from what I've seen, it appears feasible.
My question is, do any of you folks have any suggestions? I'm listening to anything.:bigwave:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm not a programmer, so I'll defer any expert reply to any who claim that title.

However, as I have been in recent months researching a calibration recall database for our lab, I have been in communications with a few of the calibration recall database producers. There is a previous thread titled I believe Scheduling Software (or something like that). In that thread are listed a number of recall database producers.

Some that I have communicated with have database programs that are modular (i.e.: can add in functionality at will). You may want to try a few phone calls to some of those vendors. They do like to make money. And perhaps some of them may have come up with resolutions to problems such as yours.

I know some of them have capability to interface directly to automated calibration programs, and storage of calibration records from various formats. Could be that some of those products may be able to solve your issue.

I am specifically avoiding naming names unless I name all the vendors (to avoid commercializing this forum).

Hope this is of some assistance.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Microsoft to rip up P2P Skype, killing native Mac, Linux native apps World News 0
T Linux Disto suggestions After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 14
Marc Google Earth v4 Released: Mac and Linux Support at Last After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
Q Windows vs. Linux - Just wondering if any Covers use or have tried Linux After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
Marc Anyone a Linux Expert? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc The Future of the Linux Desktop? DirectFB After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc German Parliament Considers Linux Switch After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Go Linux Desktop Now After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Start Your Cost Benefit Analysis - Linux After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
V Linux - What is the latest version? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc Linux is the future After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc The Linux Weekly Roundup After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Weekly Roundup - THE LINUX REPORT - January 19, 2000 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc The Linux Report After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc The Weekly Linux Report After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc The Linux Weekly Roundup After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc The Linux Weekly Roundup After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc Linux Weekly Roundup After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
Marc New In Linux This Week After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
T Some Recent Linux Info After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc Linux on a Mac - #1 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc The Linux bandwagon grows After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
S Formula for Calculating NoGo Major Diameter for UN gages Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
D Preventative Maintenance for Gages, handtools etc Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
M Procedure or Specification For Extending Gages Calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 2
M How to verify profile gages provided by customer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
PastorBee13 Source for the blades for Reef Snap Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M AS9100 Rev D and Pin Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
M Calibration of Thread Plugs and Ring Gages - Various Thread Standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Cp/Cpk on Gages for MSA (vs. Cg/Cgk) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 21
A Adjusting Calibration Intervals for Welding related Gages AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
J Calibration Recall - Lost Gages procedure example wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Q Is it normal practice to lubricate Ring Gages before use? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 17
T How to Calibrate Taper Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C Manufacturing Thread Ring Gages Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C Measuring Solid Thread Ring Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 17
P Best Method of Cleaning of Thread Ring Gages Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
M Control Plan MSA's - Pressure Gages IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C Implementing a set of bore gages at a machine Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
F Checking Gages In and Out and Verifying Calibration Status Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 8
D Calibration requirements for New Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
Q Number of Calibration Verification Points - Calipers, height gages, etc General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
C Calibration of Master Thread Plug Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Measurements of Major Diameters of plug thread gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
J Verification of Gages Before Use Calibration Frequency (Interval) 10
L Inexpensive Gage Management Software recommendations for less than 75 Gages Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 8
T How do I calibrate NPT Thread Plug Gages? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9