Linux - What is the latest version?

V

venkat

I would like to knwo the recent version of linux.
Is this is freely downloadable

What is the license fee?

The linux operation is controlled by unix or separate

For a beginner how long does it take to know this

Viewers can you help me please

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
For everything Linux, go to: http://www.linux.org/

There is an excellent review of RedHat at: http://www.robval.com/linux/desktop/index.asp

This is just the beginning of the article / review. I highly recommend you read the whole thing (link is above). This is a 'saver' article if you're thinking Linux.

The Bottom Line

This review focused on Linux Red Hat 7.1 from a business user's view and attempted to answer my client's question "Can Linux be used as a replacement for Windows 2000". After an intensive hands-on Linux project lasting several months, I was able to provide my client with a pertinent answer to this question.

* Based on a solid Linux business plan, my client decided that Linux was a good investment for most of the company's employees, but will retain a few key Windows computers in the office for specific applications. Connecting Linux and Windows computers on the same network, and sharing Office 97/2000 files between the different OSs, is easy and works well, thanks to Linux Red Hat and Star Office. The primary reason for this decision was a $10,000 saving on his IT budget! For support reasons, he decided to use a local Linux supplier for installation and configuration work. View the Summary and the Details.

For other business users, here is my advice:

* For whatever reason, if you want to get started with Linux, or implement an office network of Linux and Windows clients, Linux Red Hat 7.1 is very much the way to go. Linux Red Hat 7.1 can be used as an alternative to Windows 2000! You will be stunned by the bang for the buck that Linux bundled free "open source" software offers. Linux Red Hat is a complete server (LAN, Web, SQL) and offers excellent desktop applications for corporate users. Each business user will need to look at the benefits of using Linux (no software licensing fees, fewer hardware upgrades, many good applications) and the costs (installation, configuration, upgrades, training, support). If the benefits outweigh the costs, then you have an affordable viable desktop alternative to Windows.

Linux Red hat 7.1 is a great package: it provides a smooth installation, has many good applications and is an especially attractive option for small to medium-size offices. However, many business users will want to purchase a computer with Linux pre-installed, or at least use a Linux support professional for post-installation configurations, maintenance and upgrades, just as you currently do for Windows.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Microsoft to rip up P2P Skype, killing native Mac, Linux native apps World News 0
T Linux Disto suggestions After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 14
Marc Google Earth v4 Released: Mac and Linux Support at Last After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
Q Windows vs. Linux - Just wondering if any Covers use or have tried Linux After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
Marc Anyone a Linux Expert? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
M Linux for gages After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc The Future of the Linux Desktop? DirectFB After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc German Parliament Considers Linux Switch After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Go Linux Desktop Now After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Start Your Cost Benefit Analysis - Linux After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc Linux is the future After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc The Linux Weekly Roundup After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Weekly Roundup - THE LINUX REPORT - January 19, 2000 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc The Linux Report After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc The Weekly Linux Report After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc The Linux Weekly Roundup After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc The Linux Weekly Roundup After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc Linux Weekly Roundup After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
Marc New In Linux This Week After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
T Some Recent Linux Info After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc Linux on a Mac - #1 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc The Linux bandwagon grows After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News Latest news from IATF - August 2020 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News Presentations from the latest IATF Stakeholder Event - Expectation that IATF 16949 certification should equate with product quality. Misguided? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L Allowable AC mains fuse types for latest IEC60601 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Wes Bucey The "latest" Vanity scams - 2019 Career and Occupation Discussions 8
I IATF16949 Audit Preparation, Need "searchable" ANPQP 3.1 or latest IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J Where can I find the latest update to Reach and ROHS? REACH and RoHS Conversations 7
A The latest revision number and changes in automotive core tools IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Latest (2019) requirements for MD registration in Kazakhstan (Eurasia region)? Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
M Has anyone here assessed the latest Abbreviated 510(K) guidance document? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Marc Latest Password Breaches - January 2019 World News 5
Marc Latest Posts in Right Sidebar on the Forum Listing Home Page Forum News and General Information 6
C Where to buy the latest MHLW, Canada MDR, Brazil medical device regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
L Medical Device Electrical Safety Standards - Gap Analysis of Latest Revisions Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
C PPAP Rejection for "MSA-GR&R are not using the latest AIAG format" APQP and PPAP 9
I Where to buy ISO 10001, 10002, 10003 & 10004 (latest) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
M Active X and latest update from Microsoft - Dec 2014 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
D Internal Audit Checklist for the latest ISO/TS 16949 standard IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
elkel Control Plan Contents - Part Number / Latest Change Level FMEA and Control Plans 2
Q What is the Latest and Greatest Automotive Quality Certification? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
S Latest types of Fire Extinguishers in India Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
Randy My latest (Randy) - July 2013 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 36
R No Stability Standard on latest List of Harmonized Standards IVDD ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P What is the latest version of ISO 10021 used for Certification purpose? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
V Latest revisions of Core Tools Manuals from the AIAG (APQP, PPAP, FMEA, SPC and MSA) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Check out the latest Social Group! Classic Car Int'l World News 4
Mr.Happy Some useful information about the latest PPAP version - PPAP 4th edition APQP and PPAP 1