List of Level 3 PPAP requirements for automotive suppliers

eule del ayre

Involved In Discussions
Good Morning Guys, can someone tell me or educate me about the PPAP level 3 list of requirements for automotive? Please and Thank you guys.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Level 3 includes a Part Submission Warrant (PSW), product samples and complete supporting data.

Starters:

• Level 1 – Part Submission Warrant (PSW) only submitted to the customer
  • Level 2 – PSW with product samples and limited supporting data
  • Level 3 – PSW with product samples and complete supporting data
  • Level 4 – PSW and other requirements as defined by the customer
  • Level 5 – PSW with product samples and complete supporting data available for review at the supplier’s manufacturing location

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Keep in mind that level 3 only indicates what must be sent to the customer. You as the supplier must still create 100% of the PPAP documentation and maintain it on file.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
If you're starting to do PPAPs for your customers, you may want to invest in the AIAG manuals. The PPAP manual will tell you almost everything you need to know. Good luck.

eule del ayre

Involved In Discussions
Keep in mind that level 3 only indicates what must be sent to the customer. You as the supplier must still create 100% of the PPAP documentation and maintain it on file.

Thank you sir, i'm doing everything, but sorting out what's to submit, that's what i'm worrying about.

N

ncwalker

Here's some hints when you do this:
EVERY document should have the part number on it, as well as the date generated, the part numbers should all match. Dates generated should be the dates they were made, do not have to match.
EVERY document in your QMS should also have obvious revision control. So PFD, PFMEA, Control Plan should all be in your revision control system and it should be obvious on the document. Dimensional reports, MSA, etc, don't necessarily have to be.
Any document with values: dimensionals, initial process studies, metallurgy, gage r&r - not only should have the results, but the LIMITS. Do not leave off the specification limits.
All process steps should exactly match. If your wash process is OP40 in the PFD, it needs to be OP40 in the PFMEA, Control plan, etc.

Less known, but still important:
If it's sloppy looking, your customer is more apt to dig into it. Nobody can send me a PPAP submission that I cannot find a problem with, if I want to. If what you send is disorganized and sloppy, I'm going to spend more time poking around in it, which will be more painful for you. Make sure things like your file names are organized and make sense. You should really number them by element number as well. Make sure that if you are printing to a pdf, you don't have stray page breaks, etc. Think of it like a job interview. It really kind of is - it's like a resume saying "I'm ready to make your part." You want a good first impression. That will give me confidence, and I am less likely to dig. And believe me, there is nothing worse than an SQ who starts digging that doesn't know what they are digging for. Depending on the complexity of the part, an SQ spends about 4 hours examining a PPAP. But if it's sloppy, it gets a lot more attention.

try2makeit

Quite Involved in Discussions
Also keep your Customer requirements in mind, check their Supplier manual in the PPAP requirement section what additional items need to be submitted besides the AIAG requirement.
Make sure that any special characteristic on the drawing is addressed in the PPAP.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Also keep your Customer requirements in mind, check their Supplier manual in the PPAP requirement section what additional items need to be submitted besides the AIAG requirement.
Make sure that any special characteristic on the drawing is addressed in the PPAP.
yep great point as most OEMs have their on addendum or Customer Specific Requirements (CSR), usually a refinement of the AIAG particulars...and a bit of topic here but worth repeating...assuming you are a Tier 1/2/3, always be open, eve nwhen there is an adverse issue before, during after PDR, or other PPAP milestones....best to address earlier, even if you beleive to be insignificant....it is all about due diligence and transparency....in the long run it works in your favor.

Top Bottom