Lloyd's Register Quality Assurance Out of Registration Business?

A

Alf Gulford

I'm just now reading the February 12 edition of Quality Manager's Alert and seeing that Lloyd's Register Quality Assurance has announced that it's out of the certification business! Anybody have any insight on this?

I've been hearing for a couple of years that they were thinking about 'de-emphasizing' this aspect of their business, but I had no idea it would come to this. My experiences with them were very good.

To expand the question, is anyone seeing a 'shaking out' of registrars? There's a lot of competition and maybe this is a natural part of the process.

Alf

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I have a question....what happens when a Registrar goes out of business???? Do the "sell" our registration to someone else? This was one aspect I never considered during our registration process.

Ummmmm,

CarolX.

C

Carl Keller

Out of the registration business effective when?

Does it mention whether they are just going to discontinue initial assessment or are they just going to pull out completely and immediately?

I have worked with them in the past and found them to be highly professional. I can't imagine them surprising the customers by not showing up for their next surveillance audits.

Carl-

J

Jim Triller

I spoke with my account rep. at LRQA this past Thursday (2/22). He didn't mention anything about discontinuing this service.

A

Alf Gulford

As I understand it, you would be faced with finding a new registrar and convincing them that you're still qualified to keep your registration. The article suggests that much of that arguement would be based on records - so keep very good records. Otherwise you'd have to buy another Initial Assessment ($$$).

I might suggest that a company only sign with a registrar that they're sure will be around for a long time, but I would have bet money on Lloyd's.

Maybe we need a performance clause in the contract that guarantees the registrar will perform audits for the entire two or three years (with a money penalty for non-performance)?

Alf

BTW - For what it's worth, I just looked at the LRQA website and there's nothing about them shutting down.

[This message has been edited by Alf Gulford (edited 23 February 2001).]

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
don't panic...you have plenty of time if its true.......and you won't get dropped or loose your cert.

typically your account is sold....and you have options....stay with who bought you...based on their terms...or find someone else to transfer to, Either way you are in the drivers seat...use it to your advantage, everyone wants your business....negotiate...email me if you are still worried......

See alot of it, dealt with some.....most were fairly uneventful unless the original registrar was 'shady'... new transfers are typically that....all you pay (or should pay?)is the surveillance fee that is due....and the schedule stays the same unless you want it to change. The records that apply are the registrars not the clients. Seasoned clients are no problem, new issued certs may require an extra day or so, but at no cost to the client...BE FIRM

[This message has been edited by barb butrym (edited 25 February 2001).]

G

Graham R O'Geran

I am a Director of a UKAS accredited certification body, I have not heard any thing about Lloyds, but I can tell you if a certification body is to sell out (like a couple recently have) your certificate is simply transferred into the buying bodies system. If the certification body goes out of business, the appropriate accreditaion body would notify all other certification bodies they have accredited, then all the certified clients would receive many offers of transfer from organizations like ours.
I would be surprised if Lloyds were getting out of the business.
Graham

------------------
Business Development Director

D

D. Bradshaw

Please note the following from Quality Manager's Alert which is self-explanatory:
Quote--
Correction
Date: March 2, 2001
The Feb 12, 2001, issue of Quality Manager's Alert contained a story that mistakenly said Lloyd's Register Quality Assurance (LRQA) had ceased doing business. While LRQA had announced its intention to reorganize service in South Africa, the company continues its normal and aggressive operations in the United States and other parts of the world. The editors of Quality Manager's Alert regret the error and any misunderstandings that resulted from it.
Jim Giuliano
Editor-in-chief
Quality Manager's Alert
--Unquote
D Bradshaw
LRQA,Inc. Management Secretary

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
JoshuaFroud The withdrawal of Lloyd’s Register MDD & IVDD Notified Body Status CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S How to register class IIA medical device accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Tagin Is SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 on your risk register? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
G ISO 9001 Legal Compliance and Legal Register Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L A Taiwan company want to sell Class I medical device (510(k) exempt) on Amazon, should we register with FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
K Capturing local government development/planning activities in aspect register ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
S Necessity of Legal Register to conform to ISO 9001, ISO 14001, IATF 16949 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
Leandro Need to register Medical Devices in Canada (FDA, HC, CMDCAS...) Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
D Design developer - 21 CFR 807 - do we need to register? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
MrTetris Informational Risk Register - Same hazardous situation, different severity of harms ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
C Do Distributors need to register with competent authorities in the EU? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Do I have to register with the FDA and pay fee? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
K EU MDR - PMS (Post Market Surveillance) SOP - definition of "register(s)" EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D Risk Register - have we considered enough and is the format acceptable? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
H REACH Registration Requirements - Who is required to Register REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
Z Do we need a Risk Register for ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
P Content of an IVD Technical Dossier to Register a Device to Japan Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
P Approved Supplier Register and Calibration Suppliers AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
T Register of TS 16949 Certified Companies IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B List of Legislation - Legal Register for ISO14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
T ISO 9001:2015 vs AS9100D - Register to one or both Standards? Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
L In Venezuela, do I have to register Molecular diagnostics kits or IVD kits? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
B Before new supplier register into ASL ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
B Get information into English about medical devices register in Serbia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
B Register's Ownership in Iran, India, Jordan, Arab Saudi, Egypt Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 8
R Legal Register - Does anyone have an example of a legal register? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Risk Register template as per ISO 27001:2013 wanted IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 9
C Should we register to ISO 9001:2008 or ISO 9001:2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
P Do I need to Register with FDA? How shall my structure of processes look like? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
N How to register a non notified Medical Device in India Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
A Legislation Register in Dubai (Free Zone) ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
I Feedback on an Environmental Aspects and Impacts Register Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
V What is the importance of a Risk Register? FMEA and Control Plans 3
L Examples of a Legal Register - Environmental ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
H Source for Compiling and Maintaining an EHS Legal Register Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
S MDR (Master Document Register) for Planning of Documents in Process Engineering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S Basic Environmental Aspects Register template wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
G Combining Aspect Impact and Hazard Risk Register Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 8
I What information do you place in a "register"? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
I Is a Register of Signatures Required by ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
R Risk Register, Risk Analysis and Risk Response/Treatment IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 5
T What to include in our Legal Register? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 8
AnaMariaVR2 FDA Global Clampdown: 8 Warning Letters - Failing to Register Plants US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
T Legal Register Guidance - ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
J Quality Records Register Requirements - ISO 9001:2008 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 31
N Nonconformance Register template wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
A I want to register IVDs (CE) in Australia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
T Six Sigma Register - Historical Body of Evidence Six Sigma 2
D Register of Legislation for Czech Law - Czech Republic Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
Stijloor IMDS - Is a Truck Industry Parts Supplier required to register? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2