Lockheed Martin FOD Foreign Object Debris Prevention - Awareness and Training Program

F

Fatboy

I just received a letter from Lockheed Martin concering foreign object debris (FOD). They are requesting that we implement a program for prevention, awareness and training. Does anyone out there subscribe to this requirement? If so how did you satisfy the requirement?

G

Greg B

Fatboy said:
I just received a letter from Lockheed Martin concering foreign object debris (FOD). They are requesting that we implement a program for prevention, awareness and training. Does anyone out there subscribe to this requirement? If so how did you satisfy the requirement?

I do not have a written procedure but it was a fairly simple routine when I was in the Airforce. We had the following in place:
  • Controlled FOD walks to ensure that no FOD was present in work areas or surrounds,
  • Road Sweepers and hanger sweepers were used to ensure surrounds and work areas were clean,
  • Controlled toolboards to ensure that ALL tools were accounted for at the beginning & end of each task,
  • Procedures for lost tools & equipment and search procedures,
  • QC inspectors to inspect all panels before they are secured to ensure no FOD is present

There are a myriad of things to control FOD. Marked Disposal Bins, Signage etc. A 5S program is a good place to start along with GMP requirements. I'm sure Lockheed could help you out. Let me know how you go.

Greg B

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Fatboy said:
Just as an aside, look at this thread on the consequences of FOD:
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=67763&postcount=1
which discusses a lost screw in a nuclear plant.

I would suggest a rigorous 5S program which incorporates the suggestions of Greg B. I wouldn't hesitate to ask Lockheed Martin if they have some handy checklists for prevention which can help your organization meet their requirements. It might be especially helpful if they have some awareness and training materials you can adapt for your organization.

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions
Did you eber find a FOD procedure?

Fatboy said:
I'm needing to write a FOD procedure as well for Lockheed and need a document to refere to.
:thanx:

F

Fatboy

5S for FOD

We are in the process of implementing 5S to satisfy the FOD requirement. Therefore, a formal FOD document has not been put into place. Sorry that I could not help.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
You may be interested in the attached standard, MIL-STD-980, FOREIGN OBJECT DAMAGE (FOD) PREVENTION IN AEROSPACE PRODUCTS.

Attachments

• mil std 980 FOD.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 775
J

Jim Howe

foreign objects

Al, I believe your post more accurately describes what Lockheed Martin is after. I can recall performing FOD on battery packs for Captor mines. If a small strip of wire, or solder spatter, or anything else that was conductive entered the battery pack compartment prior to sealing, the results could be catastrophic!
On another note consider a small solder ball lodged inside the hermetic seal of a canned relay. In the past our labs would conduct particle impact testing on such devices to root out any foreign particles that might create a short circuit causing catastrophic failure.
All electronic assemblers and solders received training in this regard at Goodyear Aerospace in the 1980's, which just happens to be Lockheed Martin today.

H

hofner

FOD Procedure

Al Rosen said:
You may be interested in the attached standard, MIL-STD-980, FOREIGN OBJECT DAMAGE (FOD) PREVENTION IN AEROSPACE PRODUCTS.
Thank you for the information. We're about to endure a 45208 audit by Lockheed Martin and they have requested that an FOD procedure grace our Quality System.

Cheers,
Kurt Selvig
Cascade engineering Technologies, Inc.

Top Bottom