Locking worksheets

iso_is_fun!

Registered
Hi, sorry me again!

To ensure document control we have locked our worksheets that people have to use for their lab work. I've added fields in word so people can use them electronically. However there are a lot of complaints that they're not very user friendly, for example we use tables to show layouts of work done in the lab, and once they're locked people can't copy and paste into the tables, they need to input each box separately. I was just wondering if anybody had any workarounds for this sort of thing to make it more user friendly. Or if anyone was better with word than I am and had any suggestions! I'm struggling to find any alternative that still ensures our worksheets are controlled but allows the flexibility people are asking for.

Thanks

Johnny Quality

Quite Involved in Discussions
Considered using Excel instead of Word? When you lock Excel documents there's a lot of options for restricting editing that might be fluid enough for your needs.

Jean_B

Trusted Information Resource
In short:
  1. Go to the review tab, select the "Restrict Editing" tile.
  2. Under "Editing restrictions", put a checkmark at "allow only this type of editing in the document".
  3. Select the "comments" option. This will allow people to make comments (an oft expected but unstated requirement)
  4. Make your selections in the section go to the "Exceptions (optional)" part of the "Restrict Editing" window.
    1. Put a checkmark at "Everyone" if people should be able to edit in the selection.
    2. Leave the checkbox blank if people should not be able to edit in the selection.
  5. For the tables remember to include the end (the character to the right of the table) of table rows for this. When you use fields in it they will not be able to paste, but if it is just the table it should be fine.
For your type of restriction
  1. Use section breaks (continuous or page) to delimit between the sections people should be able to and should not be able to edit. Section numbering can be visible bottom left.
  2. You can enter the needed form fields through the "Developer" tab, that needs to be made available through the word options "customize ribbon".
  3. Go to the review tab, select the "Restrict Editing" tile.
  4. Under "Editing restrictions", put a checkmark at "allow only this type of editing in the document".
  5. Select the "Filling in Forms" option.
    1. There is a small "Select sections..." hyperlink just below the dropdown. Click it and there you can select which sections are restricted to only fields, and conversely which sections would be free game as usual.

Last edited:

iso_is_fun!

Registered
that's brilliant, thank you so much! I was half way there with some of that, but you've just made things a lot easier for me!

Top Bottom