Logistics FMEA - Never Have done One - Need Ideas

B

bage26

"logistics FMEA"

Hi Folks,

I need some help with our customer's quality requirements. Our firm is an automotive supplier, planning an update to TS 16949 from VDA 6.1.

Our customer requested a "Logistics FMEA". Unfortunately I have no information on this type of FMEA. (Honestly I've never heard about it. :confused: )

So, I'd be very happy if you could help me with any info on this toppic. (comments, publications, downloadable files...)

Thanks,
:thanx:
Gergely

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
bage26 said:
Hi Folks,

I need some help with our customer's quality requirements. Our firm is an automotive supplier, planning an update to TS 16949 from VDA 6.1.

Our customer requested a "Logistics FMEA". Unfortunately I have no information on this type of FMEA. (Honestly I've never heard about it. :confused: )

So, I'd be very happy if you could help me with any info on this toppic. (comments, publications, downloadable files...)

Thanks,
Gergely
I don't recall seeing the two words "logistics" and the acronym "FMEA" put together as a formal phrase before, either.

It seems to me the customer's issue is not so much whether you can make the product he wants in an efficient manner as to whether everything in the supply chain from raw material to finished product on his dock (the "logistics" of product realization) has passed a rigorous "what if" examination for possible failure modes and their effects on getting timely delivery of good, finished product.

Why not ask him if this is what he means?

D

D.Scott

bage26 said:

Hi Bage, welcome to the Cove. I too have never heard of a logistics FMEA however I can't help wonder if this is no more than a poor choice of an English word. I notice from your location that English is probably not the language spoken there and that it might be used simply as a common ground. In one sense logistics can mean the management of the details of an operation. Could this be as simple as the customer expects a Process FMEA?

I would do as Wes suggests and ask if you are not sure but I think you will find this is no "new wheel". I would bet on a plain old Process FMEA. Please let us know when you find out.

Dave

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

I agree with Dave and Wes. If it turns out to be anything other than a Process FMEA maybe your customer could even send you an example???

Wish you luck and welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

Bill

Geoff Cotton

Quite Involved in Discussions
We have Process FMEA based on: Order Entry; Purchasing; and Warehouse (pick, pack and ship). We consider these to be our "logistics" FMEA's.

soulmas

Involved In Discussions
Where I work, a Logistics FMEA was generated. Basically it was focused on
Materials logistics... i.e:
Failure mode: Material not on time, lack of material, wrong material delivered from supplier, wrong material delivered to the lines (to the customer), incomplete shipping information, Incomplete shipment, more material was sent to the customer than required....

This FMEA was generated due we were rated with a bad score with the customer even that product quality is OK, but in materials logistics we were having some problems.

hope this can help..

greetings,
Soulmas

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

soulmas said:
Where I work, a Logistics FMEA was generated. Basically it was focused on
Materials logistics... i.e:
Failure mode: Material not on time, lack of material, wrong material delivered from supplier, wrong material delivered to the lines (to the customer), incomplete shipping information, Incomplete shipment, more material was sent to the customer than required....

This FMEA was generated due we were rated with a bad score with the customer even that product quality is OK, but in materials logistics we were having some problems.

hope this can help..

greetings,
Soulmas
So you wrote a "stand alone" FMEA for logistics? FWIW, the logistical issues are incorporated into my PFMEAs (as Geoff mentioned for his). This way the logistics show up in each part's PFMEA.

Bill

Geoff Cotton

Quite Involved in Discussions
Bill,

Sorry if I misled you, all of our “PROCESS” FMEA’s are stand-alone.

Stand-alone PFMEA’s have worked very well for us over the past 15 – 20 years. We have around 150 PFMEA’s in our system covering around 10,000 variations in our products, all of which are very similar but may have different process routes, i.e variations in materials, finish, packaging, labelling, etc.

We also have over 100 Design FMEA’s covering the various product ranges.

soulmas

Involved In Discussions
Hi! Bill:

Yes.... we generated a stand alone FMEA for logistics due every PFMEA that we have covers just the failures modes related to that specific part number, some programs has different failures modes so, we combined that information into one document and also we covered different things that we did not include in a PFMEA such as paperwork (shipping invoice, customs information: some programs are shipped to different countries and have different custom requirements) but because the customer is the same, it rates us if they were located in just one place not in different facilities.

That's why we decided to generate this logistic FMEA and we had improvements, also the customer like it.

soulmas

S

Sam

bage26 said:
Hi Folks,

Thanks,
Gergely

Refer to the Daimler/Chrysler "Supply Process Manual - SPA". Requires CP, FMEA, and Flow Diagram addressing 17 (minimum) requiremenmts.
This is a good start to developing a process to monitor the "logistics" of the product you supply your customer.

Top Bottom