Long length measurement of 18" up to 100" with an accuracy of .005 min

D

dsnell

Does anyone know of a type of inspection equipment that can accurately measure long lengths? looking for something that can measure lengths of 18" up to 100" with an accuracy of ? .005 min. We make medical devices so it would need to be calibrated to NIST standards. these parts are very flexible and cannot be measured using contact measurement methods.

Has anyone ever heard of proscale sold by accurate technologies? they offer something that looks very usable but I cannot find anything about them on the web other than their own website.

thank you in advance

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Long length measurment

Did you really mean ?0.005 min. for length? Or as in minutes or arc? Time interval? Short for minutia? Minimum? Minnesota?:tg:

D

dsnell

what i mean is the lowest tolerance accuracy i can have is .005". sorry for not being clear!

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin

How are you handling the thermal expansion issues associated with these longer lengths?

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator

I would think a laser device could handle that. Google "Laser Length Measurement" and a lot of products come up . . .

You'd have to be very careful how you align the laser relative to the end of the item being measured to get that accurate a measurement . . .

P

PaulJSmith

As the OP noted that the material is "very flexible," I imagine that fixturing will play an important role in an accurate measurement as well.

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource

Also elasticity will have to be considered since you will need to apply some tension to your samples to straighten them out.

JLyt207

Involved In Discussions

I agree with Mr. Prevette above, it sounds like you could use a laser. We use FARO laser trackers on a regular basis to +/- .005 to beyond 100".

However, it is not a cheap solution. It is a very expensive solution. I've seen used systems over $75,000. It is also a skill to operate. Our tracker operators are nearly the highest paid group on the floor.

If the product is flexible that is a problem. Work holding will be key as PaulJSmith pointed out.

D

dsnell

thank you for all of the feedback guys.

Top Bottom