Long Term Risk of Building without full set of Released Drawings

C

ceiseler

Hello,

Theoretically speaking, of course, what would be the long-term risk of manufacturing a product without a full-set of released drawings or models? This is more of a pre-production build and not a true prototype.

I'm absolutely against it, have explained the requirements for APQP and ISO section 4 design standards. I am having a difficult time convincing the team that it would render the design un-auditable because there isn't full documentation traceability.

If you can offer any words of wisdom, links, white papers, or anything to help plead our theoretical case, I would appreciate them.

Thanks in advance!

D

ddunn

Re: Building without released drawings

My first response is:

1. How do you ensure the product meets the design?
2. How do you control changes to the design?
3. How do you ensure the design is repeatable?

The output of engineering is documentation. If there is no or little documentation, what did engineering do?

If you are in pre-production you are way beyond prototype. Prototype is a proof of concept prior to detailed design. Pre-production is to ensure produceability and reproduceability per design.

C

ceiseler

Re: Building without released drawings

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you totally. I'm just seeking another way to convince people of something that is usually taken as just good practice.

Have a great day!

Top Bottom