Looking for a 5 WHYs Example - 5 Why for a service (transactional) issue

• Thread starter qualitygoddess - 2010
  • Start date
Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

Can someone post 1 or 2 good examples of 5 WHY in use? More general examples would be great, especially if someone has done a simple 5 Why for a service (transactional) issue.

My brain just isn't coming up with any ones I've used in the past.

Thanks!!

R

Rob Nix

You do not have any good examples. (1)Why?

"[Your] brain just isn't coming up with any ones I've used in the past." (2)Why?

Those examples were too long ago, with no current examples. (3)Why?

The method is not used consistently in your probelm solving process. (4)Why?

It is not integrated into your process for handling root cause analysis and problem solving. (5)Why?

You have not been trained on how to do so, or it has not been a priority (until now).

IMVHO. Note: while "5 why" is a nice tool, when you can answer 'this or that', then the 'branches' can become more complicated.

Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

Rob:

Excellent! I will stop being a slug, and get my brain in gear!!

--JM

Rob Nix said:
You do not have any good examples. (1)Why?

"[Your] brain just isn't coming up with any ones I've used in the past." (2)Why?

Those examples were too long ago, with no current examples. (3)Why?

The method is not used consistently in your probelm solving process. (4)Why?

It is not integrated into your process for handling root cause analysis and problem solving. (5)Why?

You have not been trained on how to do so, or it has not been a priority (until now).

IMVHO. Note: while "5 why" is a nice tool, when you can answer 'this or that', then the 'branches' can become more complicated.

Sidney Vianna said:
Are you referring to the Advisory Notice #17?
Icy Mountain said:
That's the one. The one I have is a Word 97 doc. I have the capability to covert it to PDF and post it, with your permission.
Sidney Vianna said:
The Director ok'ed the posting of the document. So, if you want to post it, feel free to.
This 5 Why's example is what we received from DNV. This is their standard for responses to registration or surveillance audit findings. Posted by permission.

Attachments

• Advisory Notice CA Responses.pdf
    20 KB · Views: 1,166
Top Bottom