Looking for a benchmark on traceability. Any offers?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
how does that work? i'd like to get involved i can use several examples from different industries, through my consulting experience....lets have at it...

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm ready to learn...what are you looking for? Do you just want to know how tightly each of us controls traceability? I really haven't done any benchmarking outside our own divisions before, so please excuse my ignorance

D
Kool, I'm excited now. OK heres for starters....
We need to maintian traceability so if we have a problem with our customers we can track back and determine what product is nonconforming; preferably the least of the product.

Unfortunately we have many suppliers, and many different moves of product from one supplier to the next. This calls for several verifications of product when it gets back and several added on job numbers.
This has become cumbersome and time consuming and I'm looking for ways to simplify and still verify the processes.
Can you give me different ways you maintain this type of traceability through your systems?

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
A company I worked for about 15 years ago had a great system...I will try to describe it for you...

All material was received using a "receiving ticket/inspection report". These were sequentially numbered. After material was accepted, this became the lot number. If the material was "raw material", i.e. bar stock to be used in the machine shop, the lot number became the job number. If we had multiple uses for a particular "lot", we could break it down further by adding "-" numbers to the base lot number, i.e. Material from lot #1234 would be used for job #'s 1234-1, 1234-2 and so on. After all manufacturing of the componenet was complete, or if the part was purchased complete, the parts would be sent to the stock room until pulled for an assembly job. The router for the assembly listed a bill of materials and had a space to record the lot numbers for each item pulled for the assembly job.
This gave us full traceability back to the original mill or component supplier. And, unfortunately, it paid for itself when we had to do a product recall. We new exactly which customers had the defective product.

Good Luck!

CarolX

D
Barb,
I couldn't get on yesterday, but I can today-not sure why. Do you want to do this by email or keep trying here?

D
We also have a great system and can track back almost anything.
The only problem is it has become very cumbersome.
We give the incoming powder a lot number. We give every order a job number. The lot number remains on the paperwork through the process with the job number. The problems come in because we use many suppliers and parts of the same job number can be still in house, some of that job number can be at one supplier; and some can be at another supplier.
So these orders come strolling in a couple days at a time; and we do separate final inspections as they come in. This means in order to retain traceability; we need to add extensions on to all these original job numbers to keep them separate.
Do you think a job number such as 12-18-01/8874/J is too long?

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
believe it or not, most MRP systems have some lot control(traceability) built in, may be purchased as an extra module for some, but most have it in the basic package and just need to be activated and applied. So first... What are you using? What product/industry? What are the imposed/implied levels required? Are they subcontractors? Does the stuff come back inbetween? Is it sent in consigned kits or is it turnkkey? What are you doing now?

well all that was food for thought....

Benchmarking done correctly needs a base, similar to what Al started in his data base thread so you can compare apples to apples and to oranges with fruit salad as the goal.

So basically the plan I typically use is to find the players, and see/know the variables, then define what to benchmark and how to approach it(data to collect)....and then start the comparisons/gather the data. Some one reviews what is submitted and reports to the group.

Ready?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Looking to Benchmark MFA (Market Feedback Analysis) Forms / Templates Benchmarking 3
S Heijunka - Looking for a company we can benchmark in heijunka system Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
S New Foreign Exporter Looking 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
N Looking to Impress - New Job - Advice, Thoughts, Comments Welcome Career and Occupation Discussions 15
Y We are Looking for EASA LOA TYPE 1 experienced software developer Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
J Looking for a training organization that can provide in house DFMEA training FMEA and Control Plans 4
A Looking for a third party to calibrate our measure equipment - South Carolina General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
S Looking for Quality Content to Build Medical Device Curriculum - Concept to Commercialization Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
N Looking for Gamma sterilization facility in China ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A 5 x 5 Risk Matrix - Looking for a good example Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Looking for a Presentation on Design for Excellence (DfX) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
V ISO 50001 - looking for a generic checklist Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
J Looking for a EU MDR Gap Analysis template EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J Looking for a template SOP for UDI implementation for EU Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A New to QC, looking for resources Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
bryan willemot Looking for a certified test report for aerospace parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
K I’m looking for a square probe for my linear height gauge Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
C Looking for China Good manufacturing practice China Medical Device Regulations 1
M Is Harmonised EN 1041 (Information Supplied By Manufacturer) Worth Looking At? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
DuncanGibbons Looking for example aerospace part CAD files to be used for a case study Career and Occupation Discussions 2
A We're currently looking for any studies performed on various PPE materials Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
C Looking for APQP Training recommendations preferably in the aerospace industry APQP and PPAP 2
M Looking for third party reviewers for FDA submissions US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
C Looking for simple Software Validation IQ templates. Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
H Looking for Tips on finding an IATF consultant Consultants and Consulting 6
W My company is looking to start a materials testing lab that conforms to ISO17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
pashah Looking for Usability File Template acc. IEC 62366-1 and IEC 60601-1-6 IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 4
pashah Looking for Clinical Evaluation SOP acc. MEDDEV and EU MDR Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
bryan willemot Looking for a good CoC to put with my certification sheets when we send parts Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
L I'm looking for Translation Procedure Guide MEDDEV 2.5/5 Rev.2 (NOT Rev.3) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
K Looking for a good Six Sigma book Six Sigma 4
G Looking to move to an electronic QMS software Software Quality Assurance 10
C Looking for source of silicone contamination in ISO Class 8 Cleanroom Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
F Looking for a Japan MAH recommendation that is not too expensive Japan Medical Device Regulations 4
P Looking for Risk Assessment Template - Not necessarily Asset based IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
S Looking for procedure on UDI (Unique Device Identification) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
JT3M Looking for FMEA plastic injection molding FMEA and Control Plans 8
M Start-Up Company looking for ISO 13485 Certification Body and Medical Device CE Mark Notified Body Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
N Looking for input on the attached Process / IATF 16949 Clause Matrix IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Ajit Basrur Looking for a Design Transfer Checklist 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N I am looking at two Registrars Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
P ISO 14001 - Looking for a Gap Analysis Template ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
E Usability Process - Looking for a template (IEC 62366) IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 1
S What are you looking for in an automated quality management system? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 8
S Usability procedure - looking for a template IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 3
D Looking for PowerPoint presentation for ISO 17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A IATF 16949 - 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Programme - looking for example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Q ISO 19011 - Looking for a Presentation Material Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
A Looking to become an IATF 16949:2016 Certified Auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S Looking for an example of a medical device file ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1