Looking for a Round Taper Gage with Graduations

M

Magnus_CA

My company supplies non-rigid plastic tubing that comes in an array of inside diameters (ID). Sizes range from 1/32" to 5".

ID is ALWAYS stated as a minimum value so we've historically used pin gauges with a go/no-go approach but I've grown tired of buying new pin gauges every time we add a new size to our catalog of parts. I recently came across ASTM D876 that refers to the use of taper gauges to determine the ID of PVC tubing. Specifically it states:

"Tapered-Steel Gages—Use chromium-plated gages suitable for covering the range of tubing sizes shown in Table 1. The gages shall have a uniform taper of 0.010 in./1 in. (0.010 mm/mm) of length, and shall be graduated with circular lathe-cut rings every 0.5 in. (13 mm) of length. The graduations
shall then represent a uniform increase in diameter of 0.005 in./0.5 in. (0.010 mm/mm) of length."

We typically test tubing with an ID between 1/32" to 2". It'd be great if I could find a single gage to cover that range. I'd gladly accept having to buy another gage or two to cover sizes over 2".

I found a flat taper gage from Starrett (google search 'Starrett 270 Taper Gauge') but the part about 'graduated with circular lathe-cut rings' leads me to believe they're referring to a cone-shaped gauge rather than a flat one. Unfortunately I've had no luck locating a round equivalent.

Does anyone know where I may be able to find such a gage?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

PS - So glad to see the forum back!

M

Magnus_CA

Thanks for the reply. Those don't have graduations, unfortunately. I found a metric set but only overseas. I'd post a link but can't yet.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Since you do this on a regular basis you are already aware of the issues of measuring cylinder ID vs measuring ID at the cylinder lip. Have fun ...

M

Magnus_CA

Since you do this on a regular basis you are already aware of the issues of measuring cylinder ID vs measuring ID at the cylinder lip. Have fun ...

Not a terribly helpful post normzone. The spec that describes how to determine ID indicates the apparatus I described as an acceptable measurement device. If you want to argue the validity of the test method you can take it up with ASTM...it's O/T otherwise.

If you question the accuracy of using a graduated taper gage for measuring ID and know of a better approach that doesn't involve pin gauges or an expensive optical comparator I'd love to hear it.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
A bit out of the box...but have you looked for folks who make Ring mandrels for sizing finger rings?
Never looked there myself, but I wonder if other gradations are available other than just ring size....

Just thinking....

howste

Thaumaturge
I have seen stepped gages used at several o-ring manufacturers. They are likely a more accurate way to measure the ID of tubing than a tapered gage. The ones I've seen have been custom made. I don't know if you can buy something like that off-the-shelf.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Sounds like a business opportunity for someone.....

normzone

Ah, the power of the internet. Alright, I'll parse this out as though it were a detailed drawing with notes.

" Since you do this on a regular basis [COMPLIMENT ON YOUR EXPERIENCE IN THE FIELD] you are already aware of [ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF YOUR EXPERIENCE] the issues of measuring cylinder ID vs measuring ID at the cylinder lip. [BRIEF SUMMARY OF TECHNICAL CHALLENGE SUFFICIENT TO DESCRIBE THE MEASUREMENT ERRORS INVOLVED WHEN COMMUNICATED FROM ONE EXPERIENCED PROFESSIONAL TO ANOTHER]" Have fun ... [JOVIAL INDICATION OF GOOD INTENTIONS]

" Not a terribly helpful post normzone. The spec that describes how to determine ID indicates the apparatus I described as an acceptable measurement device. If you want to argue the validity of the test method you can take it up with ASTM...it's O/T otherwise.

If you question the accuracy of using a graduated taper gage for measuring ID and know of a better approach that doesn't involve pin gauges or an expensive optical comparator I'd love to hear it. "

[Magnus_CA], I've been in your measurement shoes before, and I sympathize.

If you are anticipating solely on-topic dry technical advice from me you will be sorely disappointed. If you'd like me to avoid your posting threads I will. Or you could (echoing amplified voice) put down the cup and step away from the coffee pot.

Have a better one ...

Top Bottom