Looking for a Threaded Ring Gage Calibration Laboratory

Steve-S63

Starting to get Involved
I'm having trouble finding a lab to send our threaded ring gages to that isn't riddled with problems. When I do find one that actually uses set plugs they seem to have any of a number of other issues. I have yet to find one that will fail damaged/worn gages. It almost seems as if they just open the gages sufficiently that it goes on the set plug, snug or not, with no concern as to how it runs on the set plug. Any ideas or suggestions?

Apparently I forgot to mention my geographic requirements. I'm in Texas and am looking for a lab in the continental U.S.

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
You might want to say where you're located - Country, state, or whatever.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
I echo Marc's suggestion, Steve. I have a source (Toronto Ontario) which is very good, and which I would recommend. However, if you're somewhere on the other side of the world, it probably won't help you much.

TrivialSublime

Involved In Discussions

Steve-S63

Starting to get Involved
Try National calibration in Arizona, they are nationwide but thats the one I use ( I'm in New Mexico).

Depending on the size of the ring gages you can buy them at times calibrated for close to what some would charge for just the set.

There's a company on Long Island called Westport that makes them as well as calibrates, they do a great job as well.
Unfortunately my employers IT department has National Calibration blocked, I'll see if the Manager can change that.
<Edit> IT fixed that so I am looking at them now. </edit>

I looked at Westport Corp and they apparently send their calibrations to Fox Valley whom I've used before.

Thanks anyway for the effort.

Last edited:

DietCokeofEvil

Trusted Information Resource
I don't know what kind of lab would just open up a ring without regard to the feel of the setting plug, but that isn't right. Whoever is not rejecting worn/damaged ring hasn't been trained correctly.

I can't give any recommendations- competitors and such, but I can advise you to contact the cal house and ask them how they calibrate their thread rings before sending in. A good house will be up front about thread ring calibration methods.

Steve-S63

Starting to get Involved
I don't know what kind of lab would just open up a ring without regard to the feel of the setting plug, but that isn't right. Whoever is not rejecting worn/damaged ring hasn't been trained correctly.

I can't give any recommendations- competitors and such, but I can advise you to contact the cal house and ask them how they calibrate their thread rings before sending in. A good house will be up front about thread ring calibration methods.
I've been through at least 11 calibration labs. The person who was in here before me said it was a circle of labs to send them to and each did something wrong. The lab we were using then used over-ball, not set plugs. Other labs have been unable to verify failures (damage, galling, wear, many quite severe.), unable to pack the gages properly for return shipment (I've had set plugs with damage from ring gages from loose packing, whole orders so poorly packed there was no way to know if they were still in adjustment or not from the obvious impacts in shipment.), inability to verify bad gages (one lab I sent 317 gages I had rejected over 2 years time and they only rejected 8 of them. I'm not perfect but that's an extreme difference of opinion.).

:deadhorse:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
blackholequasar Looking into Nadcap for the first time AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A 21 CFR 820 - Risk Management - Looking for some guidance US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
S We are looking for EU authorised Representative for both Class I and Class IIb devices EU Medical Device Regulations 5
K Looking for a job as Quality Engineer Career and Occupation Discussions 2
B Looking for 10 Internal Audit Online Training Participants ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
M We are looking for a Contract Manufacturer US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
mihzago Looking for an Australian/ NZ Sponsor Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
S New Foreign Exporter Looking 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
N Looking to Impress - New Job - Advice, Thoughts, Comments Welcome Career and Occupation Discussions 23
J Looking for a training organization that can provide in house DFMEA training FMEA and Control Plans 4
A Looking for a third party to calibrate our measure equipment - South Carolina General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
S Looking for Quality Content to Build Medical Device Curriculum - Concept to Commercialization Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
N Looking for Gamma sterilization facility in China ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A 5 x 5 Risk Matrix - Looking for a good example Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Looking for a Presentation on Design for Excellence (DfX) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
V ISO 50001 - looking for a generic checklist Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
J Looking for a EU MDR Gap Analysis template EU Medical Device Regulations 5
J Looking for a template SOP for UDI implementation for EU Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A New to QC, looking for resources Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
bryan willemot Looking for a certified test report for aerospace parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
K I’m looking for a square probe for my linear height gauge Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
C Looking for China Good manufacturing practice China Medical Device Regulations 1
M Is Harmonised EN 1041 (Information Supplied By Manufacturer) Worth Looking At? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
DuncanGibbons Looking for example aerospace part CAD files to be used for a case study Career and Occupation Discussions 2
A We're currently looking for any studies performed on various PPE materials Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
C Looking for APQP Training recommendations preferably in the aerospace industry APQP and PPAP 2
M Looking for third party reviewers for FDA submissions US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
C Looking for simple Software Validation IQ templates. Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
H Looking for Tips on finding an IATF consultant Consultants and Consulting 6
W My company is looking to start a materials testing lab that conforms to ISO17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
pashah Looking for Usability File Template acc. IEC 62366-1 and IEC 60601-1-6 IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 4
pashah Looking for Clinical Evaluation SOP acc. MEDDEV and EU MDR Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
bryan willemot Looking for a good CoC to put with my certification sheets when we send parts Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
L I'm looking for Translation Procedure Guide MEDDEV 2.5/5 Rev.2 (NOT Rev.3) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
K Looking for a good Six Sigma book Six Sigma 7
G Looking to move to an electronic QMS software Software Quality Assurance 10
C Looking for source of silicone contamination in ISO Class 8 Cleanroom Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
F Looking for a Japan MAH recommendation that is not too expensive Japan Medical Device Regulations 4
P Looking for Risk Assessment Template - Not necessarily Asset based IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
S Looking for procedure on UDI (Unique Device Identification) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
JT3M Looking for FMEA plastic injection molding FMEA and Control Plans 8
M Start-Up Company looking for ISO 13485 Certification Body and Medical Device CE Mark Notified Body Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
N Looking for input on the attached Process / IATF 16949 Clause Matrix IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Ajit Basrur Looking for a Design Transfer Checklist 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N I am looking at two Registrars Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
P ISO 14001 - Looking for a Gap Analysis Template ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
E Usability Process - Looking for a template (IEC 62366) IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 1
S What are you looking for in an automated quality management system? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 8
S Usability procedure - looking for a template IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 3
D Looking for PowerPoint presentation for ISO 17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1