Looking for a Threaded Ring Gage Calibration Laboratory

S

Steve-S63

I'm having trouble finding a lab to send our threaded ring gages to that isn't riddled with problems. When I do find one that actually uses set plugs they seem to have any of a number of other issues. I have yet to find one that will fail damaged/worn gages. It almost seems as if they just open the gages sufficiently that it goes on the set plug, snug or not, with no concern as to how it runs on the set plug. Any ideas or suggestions?

Apparently I forgot to mention my geographic requirements. I'm in Texas and am looking for a lab in the continental U.S.

Last edited:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
You might want to say where you're located - Country, state, or whatever.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
I echo Marc's suggestion, Steve. I have a source (Toronto Ontario) which is very good, and which I would recommend. However, if you're somewhere on the other side of the world, it probably won't help you much.

TrivialSublime

Involved In Discussions
S

Steve-S63

Try National calibration in Arizona, they are nationwide but thats the one I use ( I'm in New Mexico).

Depending on the size of the ring gages you can buy them at times calibrated for close to what some would charge for just the set.

There's a company on Long Island called Westport that makes them as well as calibrates, they do a great job as well.
Unfortunately my employers IT department has National Calibration blocked, I'll see if the Manager can change that.
<Edit> IT fixed that so I am looking at them now. </edit>

I looked at Westport Corp and they apparently send their calibrations to Fox Valley whom I've used before.

Thanks anyway for the effort.

Last edited:
S

Steve-S63

There is a company out here (Massachusetts) that specializes in thread gauges. I've used them with success over the years.

See ATG's website:

I've already been through them as well but thanks for the reply.

DietCokeofEvil

Trusted Information Resource
I don't know what kind of lab would just open up a ring without regard to the feel of the setting plug, but that isn't right. Whoever is not rejecting worn/damaged ring hasn't been trained correctly.

I can't give any recommendations- competitors and such, but I can advise you to contact the cal house and ask them how they calibrate their thread rings before sending in. A good house will be up front about thread ring calibration methods.

S

Steve-S63

I don't know what kind of lab would just open up a ring without regard to the feel of the setting plug, but that isn't right. Whoever is not rejecting worn/damaged ring hasn't been trained correctly.

I can't give any recommendations- competitors and such, but I can advise you to contact the cal house and ask them how they calibrate their thread rings before sending in. A good house will be up front about thread ring calibration methods.

I've been through at least 11 calibration labs. The person who was in here before me said it was a circle of labs to send them to and each did something wrong. The lab we were using then used over-ball, not set plugs. Other labs have been unable to verify failures (damage, galling, wear, many quite severe.), unable to pack the gages properly for return shipment (I've had set plugs with damage from ring gages from loose packing, whole orders so poorly packed there was no way to know if they were still in adjustment or not from the obvious impacts in shipment.), inability to verify bad gages (one lab I sent 317 gages I had rejected over 2 years time and they only rejected 8 of them. I'm not perfect but that's an extreme difference of opinion.).

:deadhorse:

Top Bottom