Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Looking for an alternative to a decade box that is unavailable everywhere right now.

Hi there. I'm looking to purchase a decade box that is like one I already have because the one I have is unavailable everywhere I've checked so far. I've been searching for an alternative that meets my needs, but thus far I've come up empty. I can find one with the right accuracy, but not one that will allow the range I need.

The unit I currently have is the General Resistance RTD-1000-500.

It has an absolute accuracy of 0.005%, but I can live with 0.01%.

The test points I need to be able to achieve are:
423 Ohms
1470 Ohms
6650 Ohms

Any help would be appreciated. Also, I hope this is the right section for this post, if not I apologize.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Looking for an alternative to a decade box that is unavailable everywhere right n

A Quick Bump!

Can someone help?

Thank you very much!!

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Re: Looking for an alternative to a decade box that is unavailable everywhere right n

Hello there! I did a quick search; there are several of those on the used market. Were you looking for identical, or something similar?

Also, is something electronic out of the question for you?

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator

If you seek specific Ohm requirements, as opposed to switching, then it may be possible to build one and have a calibration lab calibrate it. Not sure of the difference in cost, but precision resistors are available, need someone to do proper soldering, NOT "the bigger the glob, the better the job" approach, and watch the current requirements!

Hope this helps.

Hello there! I did a quick search; there are several of those on the used market. Were you looking for identical, or something similar?

Also, is something electronic out of the question for you?
I've also found more than one online, still available.

Those General Resistance RTD decades were nice, and the one you are looking for is an unusual 10 kohm version, that may be tough to locate.

Since you are only looking at 3 fixed points I think that I would look to someone manufacture them. It would probably be a lower cost, and you don't have to worry about the switches going bad. You can check with people like Ohm-Labs and IET Labs, they build custom high precision standard resistors

We ended up getting in touch with IET Labs to have them make a resistance box with those specific points. Thanks for the help everyone.

Top Bottom