Looking for Australian Sponsor for an impending TGA Submission

Frodeno

Starting to get Involved
Hi Everyone,

We are looking for an Austalian sponsor for an impending TGA submission of a class II electrical medical device. I am aware of Emergo and a few smaller agents but would greatly appreciate any help with selection. My understanding is that the distributor must also be the sponsor - is this correct? Can anyone comment on the difference in cost between the larger companies and smaller agents ?

Thanks in advance,

Frodo

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Access2hc

Involved In Discussions
Re: Looking for Australian Sponsor

the distributor need not be the sponsor.
cost wise it is indeed a free market, hence the choice is based on the quality of service. as for the expertise you'd find out when they're in action with the TGA.

hope it helps

Cheers,
Ee Bin
Acces2hc

Frodeno

Starting to get Involved
Thanks to both of you for your replies.

So is it fair to say the following:

If we have an independant importer - they must be the sponsor?
If the sponsor is not an importer/distributor then the distributor also needs to be registered as a sponsor?

Maybe I`m getting confused....

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Thanks to both of you for your replies.

So is it fair to say the following:

If we have an independant importer - they must be the sponsor?
If the sponsor is not an importer/distributor then the distributor also needs to be registered as a sponsor?

Maybe I`m getting confused....
It is quite simple. To import a medical device into Australia, or to arrange for its importation, you must be an Australian Sponsor of that device. A Sponsor which is not involved in the importation is quite useless for a device made off-shore. An Australian distributor who becomes a Sponsor will not help much unless they take responsibility for importation as well.

fialor

Involved In Discussions
Hi Frodeno,
A sponsor does not need to be your importer or distributor. They are required to keep track of imports and this can be achieved by reporting to the Sponsor by the manufacturer.
I am in a positon where I have an australian sponsor for products into Australia.
They do not import nor are they the distributor, but the relationship works well.
PM me if you have any questions.
Fialor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hi Frodeno,
A sponsor does not need to be your importer or distributor. They are required to keep track of imports and this can be achieved by reporting to the Sponsor by the manufacturer.
I am in a positon where I have an australian sponsor for products into Australia.
They do not import nor are they the distributor, but the relationship works well.
PM me if you have any questions.
Fialor
WOW, this comes a surprise to me as it seems to contradict language in both the 2002 Medical Devices regulations (as amended) and the TGA published guidance - the ARGMD (unfortunately, last revised in 2011). Regardless, I can't argue with apparent facts...

Is the TGA fully aware of this arrangement? Did they give their blessing to it?

"Keep track of imports" - how does it work (if I may ask)? Up until now the only slack from what I noted above was that the Sponsor was allowed to "be responsible for the importation of..." rather than actually import themselves, and I wasn't sure what it meant in practice. In all cases I was involved in, of off-shore made devices, the Sponsor was also the importer. Definitely "keep track of imports" sounds like a loose interpretation of "responsible for the importation". Very unlike the TGA I know!... I guess you learn something new every day.

:thanx:

Last edited:

fialor

Involved In Discussions
The intepretation of "keep track of" is what is being applied here.
The sponsor gets a quarterly report of what is imported into the country from us, and this forms part of their records. The sponsorship agreement covers this as well.

As there is no detail of what "keep track of" entails, this interpretation is applied.
It has worked for a number of years for us, including for orthopaedic devices which are one of the closley monitored devices by TGA.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S New Foreign Exporter Looking 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
N Looking to Impress - New Job - Advice, Thoughts, Comments Welcome Career and Occupation Discussions 15
Y We are Looking for EASA LOA TYPE 1 experienced software developer Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
J Looking for a training organization that can provide in house DFMEA training FMEA and Control Plans 4
A Looking for a third party to calibrate our measure equipment - South Carolina General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
S Looking for Quality Content to Build Medical Device Curriculum - Concept to Commercialization Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
N Looking for Gamma sterilization facility in China ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A 5 x 5 Risk Matrix - Looking for a good example Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Looking for a Presentation on Design for Excellence (DfX) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
V ISO 50001 - looking for a generic checklist Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
J Looking for a EU MDR Gap Analysis template EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J Looking for a template SOP for UDI implementation for EU Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A New to QC, looking for resources Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
bryan willemot Looking for a certified test report for aerospace parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
K I’m looking for a square probe for my linear height gauge Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
C Looking for China Good manufacturing practice China Medical Device Regulations 1
M Is Harmonised EN 1041 (Information Supplied By Manufacturer) Worth Looking At? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
DuncanGibbons Looking for example aerospace part CAD files to be used for a case study Career and Occupation Discussions 2
A We're currently looking for any studies performed on various PPE materials Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
C Looking for APQP Training recommendations preferably in the aerospace industry APQP and PPAP 2
M Looking for third party reviewers for FDA submissions US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
C Looking for simple Software Validation IQ templates. Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
H Looking for Tips on finding an IATF consultant Consultants and Consulting 6
W My company is looking to start a materials testing lab that conforms to ISO17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
pashah Looking for Usability File Template acc. IEC 62366-1 and IEC 60601-1-6 IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 4
pashah Looking for Clinical Evaluation SOP acc. MEDDEV and EU MDR Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
bryan willemot Looking for a good CoC to put with my certification sheets when we send parts Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
L I'm looking for Translation Procedure Guide MEDDEV 2.5/5 Rev.2 (NOT Rev.3) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
K Looking for a good Six Sigma book Six Sigma 4
G Looking to move to an electronic QMS software Software Quality Assurance 10
C Looking for source of silicone contamination in ISO Class 8 Cleanroom Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
F Looking for a Japan MAH recommendation that is not too expensive Japan Medical Device Regulations 4
P Looking for Risk Assessment Template - Not necessarily Asset based IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
S Looking for procedure on UDI (Unique Device Identification) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
JT3M Looking for FMEA plastic injection molding FMEA and Control Plans 8
M Start-Up Company looking for ISO 13485 Certification Body and Medical Device CE Mark Notified Body Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
N Looking for input on the attached Process / IATF 16949 Clause Matrix IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Ajit Basrur Looking for a Design Transfer Checklist 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N I am looking at two Registrars Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
P ISO 14001 - Looking for a Gap Analysis Template ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
E Usability Process - Looking for a template (IEC 62366) IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 1
S What are you looking for in an automated quality management system? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 8
S Usability procedure - looking for a template IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 3
D Looking for PowerPoint presentation for ISO 17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A IATF 16949 - 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Programme - looking for example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Q ISO 19011 - Looking for a Presentation Material Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
A Looking to become an IATF 16949:2016 Certified Auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S Looking for an example of a medical device file ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Looking for RED ESD Bags that preferably say NON-CONFORMING Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
Ajit Basrur Looking for examples of "User Training" - ISO 13485 section 7.2.1 d) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6