Looking for Calibration Software for small company

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi;

I have a small plating company (25 employees and I am looking for a software to keep track of my calibration equipment - due dates, overdue, etc.

Any suggestions?

dsanabria

Excel can do this for you.

We are using excel but we need a program that would provide notification on when calibration is due and an area to scan certificate / history of gauges.

Any other recommendation?

Thanks!

J0anne

Joanne
Well Excel can send you email notifications and you could scan documents and use hyperlinks in your spreadsheet.

Also, Q-Pulse has an assett module that can do all this for you while managing your QMS as well.

Or, you could build an Access database?

Excel can be configured to use outlook to email notices upon certain dates, I have used this before, the only thing is the excel program must be running every day. If excel is not fired up, it will not mail. There is much about this simple macro on the web. Currently I have about 600 instruments in a spreadsheet and different shadings appear when an item is 'due in a month' or 'overdue', I dont use the mail option here since I have all the tools and that would make no sense, but if employees had them I would enable it.
Previous to me the calibration guy had used GageTrak, but it was wildly expensive and overkill for our operation and I deep sixed it.

dsanabria

Well Excel can send you email notifications and you could scan documents and use hyperlinks in your spreadsheet.

Also, Q-Pulse has an assett module that can do all this for you while managing your QMS as well.

Or, you could build an Access database?

Interesting - I was not aware of other feature - How do I learn more about these feature?

Heard of Q-Pulse - will be checking them out

dsanabria

Excel can be configured to use outlook to email notices upon certain dates, I have used this before, the only thing is the excel program must be running every day. If excel is not fired up, it will not mail. There is much about this simple macro on the web. Currently I have about 600 instruments in a spreadsheet and different shadings appear when an item is 'due in a month' or 'overdue', I dont use the mail option here since I have all the tools and that would make no sense, but if employees had them I would enable it.
Previous to me the calibration guy had used GageTrak, but it was wildly expensive and overkill for our operation and I deep sixed it.

Thanks for the feedback - it is getting interesting in knowing what to look for - much appreciated. - will be looking at GageTrak - but I also heard it was expensive...

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
I agree....for a small company, Excel is definitely the way to go. Takes a little bit of study to learn how to write the macros for it to do exactly what you want, but it is well worth the trouble.
If you decide to go a commercial route, I have used Gage-Trak in the past, and found it to be very useful (and inexpensive).

Reluctance

Involved In Discussions
We have used GAGEtrak in our manufacturing setting with roughly 175 employees and thousands of gages.

https://www.cybermetrics.com/en/products/gagetrak/index.html

It can be run as a self contained system on a single computer/user and scaled up as needed over time to accommodate more users integrated with a Microsoft SQL Server (sold separately). The interface is designed around Access software so it should be familiar to most Microsoft Office users. It does not require Office to be installed to function (all the required run-time libraries are included).

The amount of "required" data to form a functioning system is kept to a minimum so you can quickly begin using the program with little setup. There are several advance features available though to suit even the most demanding systems. We don't need it for our business but there is even a specific installation to meet medical requirements (21 CFR Part 11).

As of today (6/17/2015), up front cost for a single-user license is $2,000, with the option for annual Maintenance Agreements ($399/1 year, $699/2 years) to keep the software current and have access to support. Licenses are perpetual though, so if you opt for no maintenance there is no recurring cost.

We have used this software for the past 15+ years. Support has been good from my experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom