Looking for Input on our Quality manual from TS 16949 Guru's

Tom W

Living the Dream...
I have taken our quality manual - all 21 policies for 52 pages and rewritten it into the attached 8 page document. My question is: Do any of you TS guru's think this is inadequate. Feel free to review and critic; basically I have made reference to the more detailled procedures in most cases; since they already existed. Thanks.

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Re: Looking for Input from TS Guru's

I have taken our quality manual - all 21 policies for 52 pages and rewritten it into the attached 8 page document. My question is: Do any of you TS guru's think this is inadequate. Feel free to review and critic; basically I have made reference to the more detailled procedures in most cases; since they already existed. Thanks.
Pretty nice job, I think. :agree1:

We're all set now, though?;)

Nice job getting it down to 8 pages, like the diagram in the back! I just have an aversion to using the words/format of the standard, that's all Tom!;)

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

We're all set now, though?;)

Nice job getting it down to 8 pages, like the diagram in the back! I just have an aversion to using the words/format of the standard, that's all Tom!;)
I share that aversion, but I thought the issue was outweighed by good, clear writing. It's perhaps a bit verbose in spots but overall (compared to many QMs I've seen) I thought it was a good effort.

Tom W

Living the Dream...

Andy,

I really appreciate our conversation and your insight; you have presented me with very good points to think about and to investigate. I appreciate you taking the time to talk with me. Its reasons like this that I come to the cove; people are very helpful and knowledgeable.

I was a little concerned about taking out too much information and just regurgitating the standard. I will work on that I think.

Thanks again. I will talk with you again in the near future.
:thanx:

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

Andy,

I really appreciate our conversation and your insight; you have presented me with very good points to think about and to investigate. I appreciate you taking the time to talk with me. Its reasons like this that I come to the cove; people are very helpful and knowledgeable.

I was a little concerned about taking out too much information and just regurgitating the standard. I will work on that I think.

Thanks again. I will talk with you again in the near future.
:thanx:
Tom,

If you can "personalize" it a little more to make it fit your organization, it would work even better. PM me with your email address. I have a manual that I'd be willing to share with you. I can not post it publicly.

Stijloor.

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi Tom,
Wow, Quality Manual in 8 pages is great.
Probably I can make use of your manual (i.e. benchmark), because in our end our Quality Manual is about 39 pages. Revision 33. We have almost everything in the manual: Cover Page, Revision History, Table of Contents, Mission, Vision, Values, Quality Policy, Organizational Chart, all title in the Org Chart was defined and whom they are reporting to. I was wondering if I can also remove the Org Chart and definition of each position..:confused:
Thanks in advance.
Raffy:cool:

Patricia Ravanello

Quite Involved in Discussions

OK Tom, the honeymoon's over...While I too, admire your continual improvement efforts with regard to the Manual, the following are some observations which I believe merit your attention:

1) Quality System Policy Manual???? I think you need to change the name... What you've provided is not a "Policy Manual"....maybe a "System Manual" or "Business System Manual", or "Management System Manual". Also, you might want to avoid calling it a Quality Manual, which to many, implies that it relates only to the "Quality Department", and or only to "Product Realization" processes.

2) Processes in your "Quality Management System" - there seems to be a discrepancy between the processes listed in the document and the processes listed on your "Process Interaction Chart".
You don't mention "Receiving", "Processing", "Final Inspection" and "Shipping", etc., in your "narrative", and yet your diagram calls them out as "Key Processes".

3) Support Process - You have not demonstrated any sequence or interaction for all your support processes. Additionally, not all of the "Support Processes" which appear on your diagram are called out in the "Manual". Overall, I thing that your Process Interaction Diagram fails to demonstate that your "System" conforms to the "Plan, Do, Check, Act", model, and does not convince me that your Management System embraces the basic ISO/TS philosophy. Your model demonstrates more about Product Realization than it does about the sequence and interaction of your management processes, as set out in 4.1.a and b.

4) Red Box at bottom of diagram includes: CONTROL OF NONCONFORMING PRODUCT / ROOT CAUSE ANALYSIS / CONTINUAL IMPROVEMENT...Should there be a link or interface with your "Corrective/Preventive Action Process" at this stage?

5) Process Design and Development - is this a QP?

6) Contingency Plan Procedure (QP-9.6). - This is identified in the Manual, but is not on your Process Interaction Diagram.

7) Control of Customer Supplied Product (QP 7.1)....Is also identified as a "System Process", but is not on your Diagram.

8) Identification and Traceability Procedure (QP-8.1).
Handling, Storage, Packaging, Preservation, and Delivery Procedure (QP-15.1), and Handling, Storage & Inventory for Process Materials (QP-15.3). - Why aren't they included in the diagram?

9) Monitoring and Measurement - While I'm pleased to read that you have a Monitoring and Measurement Procedure, again, I don't see it on your Diagram, and it is a critical link and interface between many of system processes. Also, it seems to me that 4.21 (Monit'g & Msm't) and 4.23 (Analysis of Data) are really one process. Also, why do you call out 4.23 as deserving a separate heading, and yet, no procedure is defined? Is it just because the Standard doesn't make it mandatory?

10) If you're really hell-bent on abbreviating this Manual, technically, you don't need to include any of the rhetoric relating to the System Procedures. The Standard says:
The organization shall establish and maintain a quality manual that includes
a) the scope of the quality management system, including details of and justification for any exclusions (see 1.2),
b) the documented procedures established for the quality management system, or reference to them
c) a description of the interaction between the processes of the quality management system​
.​
You can just include a list of your "System Procedures", and refer to your "Quality Procedure Manual", as you have already done at the end of the document, under "Referenced Documents". That "rhetoric" then becomes a "prelude, or purpose" for the procedure. There's no need to put it in two places.​
I told myself I'd limit this to 10 comments...so that's it...:magic:

Good Luck,
Patricia

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Looking for input on the attached Process / IATF 16949 Clause Matrix IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J What classifies something as "automotive"? Looking for input? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
H Looking for advice, input, tips on taking the AATT AS9101F Test AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
Sidney Vianna Looking for input on the design/syllabus of a 2-day AS9100 Transition Course AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
L Looking for ISO 13485 Design Input and Output Files - Templates/Examples Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
S Looking for Quality Content to Build Medical Device Curriculum - Concept to Commercialization Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
N Looking for Gamma sterilization facility in China ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
A 5 x 5 Risk Matrix - Looking for a good example Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Looking for a Presentation on Design for Excellence (DfX) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
V ISO 50001 - looking for a generic checklist Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
J Looking for a EU MDR Gap Analysis template EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J Looking for a template SOP for UDI implementation for EU Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A New to QC, looking for resources Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
bryan willemot Looking for a certified test report for aerospace parts AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
K I’m looking for a square probe for my linear height gauge Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
C Looking for China Good manufacturing practice China Medical Device Regulations 1
M Is Harmonised EN 1041 (Information Supplied By Manufacturer) Worth Looking At? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
DuncanGibbons Looking for example aerospace part CAD files to be used for a case study Career and Occupation Discussions 2
A We're currently looking for any studies performed on various PPE materials Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
C Looking for APQP Training recommendations preferably in the aerospace industry APQP and PPAP 2
M Looking for third party reviewers for FDA submissions US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
C Looking for simple Software Validation IQ templates. Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
H Looking for Tips on finding an IATF consultant Consultants and Consulting 6
W My company is looking to start a materials testing lab that conforms to ISO17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
pashah Looking for Usability File Template acc. IEC 62366-1 and IEC 60601-1-6 IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 4
pashah Looking for Clinical Evaluation SOP acc. MEDDEV and EU MDR Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
bryan willemot Looking for a good CoC to put with my certification sheets when we send parts Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
L I'm looking for Translation Procedure Guide MEDDEV 2.5/5 Rev.2 (NOT Rev.3) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
K Looking for a good Six Sigma book Six Sigma 4
G Looking to move to an electronic QMS software Software Quality Assurance 10
C Looking for source of silicone contamination in ISO Class 8 Cleanroom Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
F Looking for a Japan MAH recommendation that is not too expensive Japan Medical Device Regulations 4
P Looking for Risk Assessment Template - Not necessarily Asset based IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
S Looking for procedure on UDI (Unique Device Identification) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
JT3M Looking for FMEA plastic injection molding FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Start-Up Company looking for ISO 13485 Certification Body and Medical Device CE Mark Notified Body Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
Ajit Basrur Looking for a Design Transfer Checklist 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N I am looking at two Registrars Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
P ISO 14001 - Looking for a Gap Analysis Template ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
E Usability Process - Looking for a template (IEC 62366) IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 1
S What are you looking for in an automated quality management system? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 8
S Usability procedure - looking for a template IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 3
D Looking for PowerPoint presentation for ISO 17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A IATF 16949 - 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Programme - looking for example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Q ISO 19011 - Looking for a Presentation Material Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
A Looking to become an IATF 16949:2016 Certified Auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S Looking for an example of a medical device file ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Looking for RED ESD Bags that preferably say NON-CONFORMING Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
Ajit Basrur Looking for examples of "User Training" - ISO 13485 section 7.2.1 d) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Looking for English Copy of MHLW 169 regulation Japan Medical Device Regulations 5