Looking for recommendations for an automated vision measuring system

psp1234

Involved In Discussions
Hi,
I hope I can use the forum's members to get recommendations an automatic vision measuring system.:evidence: stage size to fit 5" parts.
(I hope it is not considered "commercial").
The variety is large and after seeing smartscope (SNAP), Keyence (IM), MicroVu (EXCEL) ..I ma already confused.
Can anyone help with a personal experience?
If it is not allowed here to recommend brands, I will be also happy to receive info in my email: orensi at gmail dot com.

Thank you in advance:thanx:
Sue

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi,
I hope I can use the forum's members to get recommendations an automatic vision measuring system.:evidence: stage size to fit 5" parts.
(I hope it is not considered "commercial").
The variety is large and after seeing smartscope (SNAP), Keyence (IM), MicroVu (EXCEL) ..I ma already confused.
If it is not allowed here to recommend brands, I will be also happy to receive info in my email: orensi at gmail dot com.

Thank you in advance:thanx:
Sue
Please look at CUSTOMISED technologies for your option.

Note: I am in no way affiliated with this company

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Hi,
I hope I can use the forum's members to get recommendations an automatic vision measuring system.
I hope that is what we are here for.

Hi,

I currently use a manual MicroVu and have seen the automatic MicroVu and they are nice and fairly easy to use. They have some advanced features that when needed may take a bit of learning (from watching others use it).

normzone

A quick copy/paste from a similar thread I posted this anno on:

My most recent CMM experience left me very unhappy.

The sales guy for Hexagon Metrology demoed a Romer Arm, and everything looked great.

I went for training for a weekend in Los Angeles - a lot to swallow but I got what I needed, or so I thought.

I got home and my machine had been delivered with a differing version of the software. Problem one.

I called the sales guy, who came down and walked me through what I needed to know at that time. He also informed me that he was going to work for the competition next week and I'd never see him again, but the guys at Hexagon would take care of me.

When I identified new challenges, Hexagon sent out the trainer. That was good for that instance, but they were not enthusiastic about sending me somebody every time I had questions. So I asked for the manual so I could consult it whenever I ventured into new territory.

There was no manual. They ceased maintaining documentation for the user several years ago. They gave me a 1-800 number that rang to a phone on somebody's desk several states away, and they'd get back to me in 48 hours.

And they gave me a link to a forum, where a bunch of users with differing machines and software corresponded. Sometimes it was helpful, but usually not. It was like learning to fly an airliner by hanging out in the airport and talking to people passing by.

Now you have an environment where there are multiple skilled users, so you'd probably not suffer as I did. I was the only person in the company with a little bit of training and some previous experience on a couple of RAM Optical systems, which were well documented and user friendly, albeit without all the capability of the Romer Arm.

But I felt that I got left high and dry by the supplier once the sale was made, and I would never buy another system without first determining if there was current documentation first. I would not rely on promises of support.

WCHorn

Rubber, Too Glamorous?
The initial choice for a non-contact measuring machine can be daunting. There is no substitute for first-hand evaluation. Ask the salesperson to identify a location where you can take a selection of parts you want to measure try it yourself. Watch to see if the operator is manipulating the software and machine or vice versa. Check to see if the machine is repeatable and accurate. Make sure the lighting is versatile as it can be critical to getting accurate measurements. Compare advertised accuracy and speed to actual.

Make a list of important attributes for a system and grade each one like Consumer Reports grades products. Such an analysis will give you a solid foundation for your eventual choice.

We have had two consecutive MicroVu systems. We had a Vector (predecessor to the Vertex) for about 10 years and replaced it with a Vertex about four years ago. Our measurements are mostly on uncomplicated shapes, but the Vector is easy to use and has served us well for complicated shapes.

You mentioned that you are measuring parts up to 5" and cited the MicroVu Excel as one of your considerations. The Excel is a large machine with a capacity far greater than 5". Why not consider the Vertex?

psp1234

Involved In Discussions
Hi,
Thank you all for your comments! :thanks: so great to have a cove to go to!
I am confused because with the sales people present everything looks great. I do repeatability analysis (measure same part 50 times and GRR etc.).
They all look very similar in performance.
I am not sure about service and most importantly - long term accuracy and precision. New models make the market more unsure, b/c no experience about long time performance.
If you can mention model numbers, it will be great!

(I will look at the vertex, thanks)
Regards,
Sue

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Looking for APQP Training recommendations preferably in the aerospace industry APQP and PPAP 2
R Looking for good, low cost APQP Software recommendations APQP and PPAP 2
DanteCaspian Plastic Card Printer: Looking for recommendations Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
J Looking for AS9100 Registrar Recommendations Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
E Lean Supply Chain! Looking for Recommendations, Tips and Resources Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
A Label Printer for Gauge Calibration Purposes - Looking for Recommendations Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
automoto SPC Software - Looking for recommendations (now using Gauss SPC v5.05) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
C Good ISO14001 and 18001 Books - Looking for Recommendations Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
B Looking to attend a QMS conference - Seeking recommendations ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D Seeking PDM/PLM Systems Recommendations / Reviews - Looking at SmarTeam and Agile Software Quality Assurance 2
A 5 x 5 Risk Matrix - Looking for a good example Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Looking for a Presentation on Design for Excellence (DfX) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
V ISO 50001 - looking for a generic checklist Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
J Looking for a EU MDR Gap Analysis template EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J Looking for a template SOP for UDI implementation for EU Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A New to QC, looking for resources Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
bryan willemot Looking for a certified test report for aerospace parts AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
K I’m looking for a square probe for my linear height gauge Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
C Looking for China Good manufacturing practice China Medical Device Regulations 1
M Is Harmonised EN 1041 (Information Supplied By Manufacturer) Worth Looking At? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
DuncanGibbons Looking for example aerospace part CAD files to be used for a case study Career and Occupation Discussions 2
A We're currently looking for any studies performed on various PPE materials Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
M Looking for third party reviewers for FDA submissions US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
C Looking for simple Software Validation IQ templates. Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
H Looking for Tips on finding an IATF consultant Consultants and Consulting 6
W My company is looking to start a materials testing lab that conforms to ISO17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
pashah Looking for Usability File Template acc. IEC 62366-1 and IEC 60601-1-6 IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 4
pashah Looking for Clinical Evaluation SOP acc. MEDDEV and EU MDR Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
bryan willemot Looking for a good CoC to put with my certification sheets when we send parts Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
L I'm looking for Translation Procedure Guide MEDDEV 2.5/5 Rev.2 (NOT Rev.3) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
K Looking for a good Six Sigma book Six Sigma 4
G Looking to move to an electronic QMS software Software Quality Assurance 10
C Looking for source of silicone contamination in ISO Class 8 Cleanroom Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
F Looking for a Japan MAH recommendation that is not too expensive Japan Medical Device Regulations 4
P Looking for Risk Assessment Template - Not necessarily Asset based IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
S Looking for procedure on UDI (Unique Device Identification) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
JT3M Looking for FMEA plastic injection molding FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Start-Up Company looking for ISO 13485 Certification Body and Medical Device CE Mark Notified Body Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
N Looking for input on the attached Process / IATF 16949 Clause Matrix IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Ajit Basrur Looking for a Design Transfer Checklist 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N I am looking at two Registrars Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
P ISO 14001 - Looking for a Gap Analysis Template ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
E Usability Process - Looking for a template (IEC 62366) IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 1
S What are you looking for in an automated quality management system? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 8
S Usability procedure - looking for a template IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 3
D Looking for PowerPoint presentation for ISO 17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A IATF 16949 - 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Programme - looking for example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Q ISO 19011 - Looking for a Presentation Material Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
A Looking to become an IATF 16949:2016 Certified Auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S Looking for an example of a medical device file ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1