Looking for reference to Electronics Industry's Standard Scrap Rates

J

Jonesi

I recently had an auditor question our current scrap rate and whether we have bench-marked our company's rate verse the industry standard. It was not written up as a Finding but merely a strong suggestion. And to be honest this is obviously very beneficial for our company to compare and contrast.

The problem is I have been googling like crazy trying to find a site that provides me any statistics or data I can use. In essence we manufacture electronic assemblies and instruments. Can anyone help out I'm struggling trying to find anything of substance and credibility.

Thanks in advance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Industry Standard Scrap Rates - Good Sites? References?

I recently had an auditor question our current scrap rate and whether we have bench-marked our company's rate verse the industry standard. It was not written up as a Finding but merely a strong suggestion. And to be honest this is obviously very beneficial for our company to compare and contrast.

The problem is I have been googling like crazy trying to find a site that provides me any statistics or data I can use. In essence we manufacture electronic assemblies and instruments. Can anyone help out I'm struggling trying to find anything of substance and credibility.

Thanks in advance!
The auditor is out of bounds! There is not a requirement to benchmark UNLESS you wrote this in a company procedure.

If you don't see value in measuring/benchmarking scrap rates, you should not do it.

Stijloor.

J

Jonesi

I agree and he merely suggested to better the business. Said obviously I could do what I want with the suggestion. It is an auditor that has been to our facility the last 10 years and I consider a business friend. I would say he suggested as a "nice to have."

It just sparked my interest as to what our industry rate would be. I have been searching google for a week and haven't found anything. I figured it would be an easy task but it is far from it... I thought others here on the forum might bench-mark themselves against their industry. So thought this might be a good place to start.

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin

Thanks in advance!
Hi Jonesi,

Being from the Electronics Industry, the best starting place would be the Electronic Industry Citizenship Coalition (EICC) .

There is lot of valuable information and one such is on the Recycling of Metals used in Electronics Industry (refer attached).

Attachments

somashekar

Staff member
Admin

I agree and he merely suggested to better the business. Said obviously I could do what I want with the suggestion. It is an auditor that has been to our facility the last 10 years and I consider a business friend. I would say he suggested as a "nice to have."

It just sparked my interest as to what our industry rate would be. I have been searching google for a week and haven't found anything. I figured it would be an easy task but it is far from it... I thought others here on the forum might bench-mark themselves against their industry. So thought this might be a good place to start.
When you talk of electronics industry, there is a whole set of mechanical parts / assemblies associated. Talking purely from the electronic hardware, and assembly., when you purchase quality components from recognized sources, ensure proper handling and assembly processing / testing with due consideration to ESD handling in the process, your scrap rate can be in ppm.
Where do you stand now, and with your process controls, what optimum target you can meet must help you decide your target.

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource

There is a big difference between a "strong suggestion" and a "nice to have". If the auditor in fact requested that you look into this, I'm in agreement with Stiljoor.

I would suggest using "defect" in the search rather than "scrap", to weed out every entry involving WEEE or environmental aspects. I found quite a few hits right away. The decision of whether or not to scrap a defective unit is outside the scope of what the auditor was talking about - this decision is entirely up to the manufacturer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Looking for Cross reference of AS9100:2016 to ISO13485 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M "Streamlining Package Seal Validation" - I'm looking for this article reference Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
P MIL colour standard G383 - Looking for a corresponding pantone or RAL reference Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
B Looking for Calibration / Reference Standards tracable to NIST General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 15
Y Looking for any kind of audit process and results for reference General Auditing Discussions 1
M RAPS RAC Device - Looking for resources / prep materials & study group Professional Certifications and Degrees 0
S Looking to find a pharmaceutical manufacturer that would be interested in buying or licensing a USDA 510k clearance General Information Resources 4
Anerol C Looking for sorting services at Singapore Career and Occupation Discussions 2
K AS9100 - Looking for advice on how to become a CB Auditor AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
G Medical Device Auditor (CMDA) certification exam by ASQ - looking for input Career and Occupation Discussions 3
R Looking for an efficient contract management solution Contract Review Process 1
K Design History File - Looking for Examples of DHF's. 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
P Looking to outsource Internal Audit - MDSAP competent auditor needed Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 9
Q Measurement Equipment Revocation - Looking for a Disposal Form with Risk Assessment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
B Looking for SSCP file of IVD devices EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Looking for a copy of ISO 10651 Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 6
Azaarus Looking for important points regarding First Piece Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
L Looking for Control Plan and FMEA Stamping process FMEA and Control Plans 2
Q Looking for a 5S tracking database Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
N Looking for a recommendation for an EU MDR Importer EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K Technical file for MHRA - looking for assistance with self declaration Class I device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
J Looking for partners Paid Consulting, Training and Services 2
bryan willemot Looking for an Approved vendors list template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
C RA (Regulatory Assurance) Training (FDA) looking for resources Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
M Data Protection and Privacy Policy - looking for a template/example EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M 'Active' device? Software/laptop with attached camera 'looking' at passive metal probe EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Looking for guidance to write an SOP on Statistical Methodologies? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
blackholequasar Looking into Nadcap for the first time AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
A 21 CFR 820 - Risk Management - Looking for some guidance US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
S We are looking for EU authorised Representative for both Class I and Class IIb devices EU Medical Device Regulations 7
K Looking for a job as Quality Engineer Career and Occupation Discussions 3
B Looking for 10 Internal Audit Online Training Participants ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
M We are looking for a Contract Manufacturer US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
mihzago Looking for an Australian/ NZ Sponsor Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
S New Foreign Exporter Looking 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
N Looking to Impress - New Job - Advice, Thoughts, Comments Welcome Career and Occupation Discussions 23
J Looking for a training organization that can provide in house DFMEA training FMEA and Control Plans 4
A Looking for a third party to calibrate our measure equipment - South Carolina General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
S Looking for Quality Content to Build Medical Device Curriculum - Concept to Commercialization Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
N Looking for Gamma sterilization facility in China ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A 5 x 5 Risk Matrix - Looking for a good example Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Looking for a Presentation on Design for Excellence (DfX) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
J Looking for a EU MDR Gap Analysis template EU Medical Device Regulations 6
J Looking for a template SOP for UDI implementation for EU Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A New to QC, looking for resources Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
bryan willemot Looking for a certified test report for aerospace parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
K I’m looking for a square probe for my linear height gauge Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
C Looking for China Good manufacturing practice China Medical Device Regulations 1
M Is Harmonised EN 1041 (Information Supplied By Manufacturer) Worth Looking At? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
DuncanGibbons Looking for example aerospace part CAD files to be used for a case study Career and Occupation Discussions 2