Looking for Registrar to audit using ISO 13485:2003

M

MiniP

I'm wondering if anybody knows of a registrar that can audit using the new 13485:2003. The people we were going to go with are still using the old 13485.

:) Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Aaron Lupo

MiniP said:
I'm wondering if anybody knows of a registrar that can audit using the new 13485:2003. The people we were going to go with are still using the old 13485.

:) Thanks
It will more than likely be a little bit before any of the Registrars start auditing to 13485:2003 as they have not received the training yet. Call your current registrar and ask them what there plan is for switching to the new 13485, remember you do have a 3 year transition period.

What registrar do you currently use?

M

MiniP

Well the thing is we are not registered with anybody yet but are planning to, and TUV was our choice.

We bought the ISO 13485:2003 and now we find out that TUV would audit using the 1996. We should have checked before we bought the guide I guess, but done is done.

So now it's either find a copy of ISO 13485:1996 or find somebody that can audit with the ISO 13485:2003.

A

Aaron Lupo

MiniP said:
Well the thing is we are not registered with anybody yet but are planning to, and TUV was our choice.

We bought the ISO 13485:2003 and now we find out that TUV would audit using the 1996. We should have checked before we bought the guide I guess, but done is done.

So now it's either find a copy of ISO 13485:1996 or find somebody that can audit with the ISO 13485:2003.
Mini, now this is just my opinion so take it for what it is worth. We used to use TUV butwere very unhappy with their services, we expressed this to them and they didn't care so we left them. If it were me I would steer clear of TUV.

If you would like to talk about this off-line drop me a PM.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
the proof is in the certificate of accreditation

You might be right, Randy, but where is the objective evidence?

My point is that Accreditation Bodies, such as RAB, RvA, UKAS, etc., might impose additional training/competence/controls before they accredit a certification Body to a new revision of a Standard, just like it happened when ISO 9001:2000 was released. Both certification bodies and auditors had to be “approved” for the new version of the Standard.

So, with ISO 13485:2003 being a stand-alone document, the AB’s might impose further training before certification bodies are “accredited” and authorized to issue certificates to the new version of the document.

When I look at the RAB website for registrars approved for that Standard (13485), nobody is listed as approved.

When I look at the UKAS website and open BSI’s scope of accreditation for QMS, it is dated August 8th, 2002. Prior to the release of ISO 13485:2003. The document also lists the following sector schemes BSI is approved for:

Sector Scheme Accreditation
Aerospace AS/EN 9100 IAQG Sector Scheme & TS157 Issue 4
Business Links
Land Mobile Radio
#Medical Devices (ISO13485 & ISO 13488)
NATO Codification
QS-9000
TickIT

But unfortunately this UKAS document does not specify the versions of the Standards registrars are accredited for.

Not trying to create controversy, but sometimes there is as disconnect between the Standard development bodies and the Accreditation Bodies.

So far, I have not seen any evidence that certification bodies have been formally accredited for ISO 13485:2003. I believe that the IAF must be evaluating this issue, right now.

Randy

Super Moderator
I just checked the web site. I don't have any personal info on this and I personally have nothing to gain, but this is what is being advertised.

"Registration to ISO 13485:1996 / ISO 13488:1996 / ISO 13485:2003 takes place when an accredited 3rd party, such as BSI Management Systems visits an organization, assesses the quality management system and if satisfactory issues a certificate confirming that the organization's quality management system meets the requirements of the standard.

Your BSI Quality Management Systems certificate is objective accredited recognized evidence of your companies commitment to quality and helps you demonstrate this to discriminating customers. ISO 13485:1996, ISO 13488:1966 and increasingly ISO 13485:2003 are becoming widely accepted as the international standards to address medical device regulations around the world."

Based upon the above what is your interpretation?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
I agree with what the text says.

However, I have not seen yet any Registrar formally accredited under any Accreditation Scheme for ISO 13485:2003.

The certificates of accreditation should define the scopes for which each CB is accredited. Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, UKAS, for example does not clarify the editions of the Standards they have accredited the CB's for.

If a Registrar claims that they are accredited for ISO 13485:2003, they should have a certificate of accreditation that CLEARLY indicates that.

Randy

Super Moderator
As in most cases I defer to Sid on this issue.

Mini you're just going to need to a site by site search. Go to www.rabnet.com and follow the link for "Quality System Registrars Directory". Look at all of them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Looking for an ISO 9001 Registrar in Bucks County, PA, USA Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
S Registrar Ranking - Looking for feedback on SAI Global Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
J Looking for AS9100 Registrar Recommendations Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
S Looking for AS9100 certification registrar in the Washington area Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
K HELP! Looking for a REPUTABLE Registrar - We're located in NC Registrars and Notified Bodies 29
S New Foreign Exporter Looking 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
N Looking to Impress - New Job - Advice, Thoughts, Comments Welcome Career and Occupation Discussions 15
Y We are Looking for EASA LOA TYPE 1 experienced software developer Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
J Looking for a training organization that can provide in house DFMEA training FMEA and Control Plans 4
A Looking for a third party to calibrate our measure equipment - South Carolina General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
S Looking for Quality Content to Build Medical Device Curriculum - Concept to Commercialization Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
N Looking for Gamma sterilization facility in China ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A 5 x 5 Risk Matrix - Looking for a good example Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Looking for a Presentation on Design for Excellence (DfX) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
V ISO 50001 - looking for a generic checklist Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
J Looking for a EU MDR Gap Analysis template EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J Looking for a template SOP for UDI implementation for EU Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A New to QC, looking for resources Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
bryan willemot Looking for a certified test report for aerospace parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
K I’m looking for a square probe for my linear height gauge Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
C Looking for China Good manufacturing practice China Medical Device Regulations 1
M Is Harmonised EN 1041 (Information Supplied By Manufacturer) Worth Looking At? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
DuncanGibbons Looking for example aerospace part CAD files to be used for a case study Career and Occupation Discussions 2
A We're currently looking for any studies performed on various PPE materials Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
C Looking for APQP Training recommendations preferably in the aerospace industry APQP and PPAP 2
M Looking for third party reviewers for FDA submissions US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
C Looking for simple Software Validation IQ templates. Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
H Looking for Tips on finding an IATF consultant Consultants and Consulting 6
W My company is looking to start a materials testing lab that conforms to ISO17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
pashah Looking for Usability File Template acc. IEC 62366-1 and IEC 60601-1-6 IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 4
pashah Looking for Clinical Evaluation SOP acc. MEDDEV and EU MDR Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
bryan willemot Looking for a good CoC to put with my certification sheets when we send parts Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
L I'm looking for Translation Procedure Guide MEDDEV 2.5/5 Rev.2 (NOT Rev.3) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
K Looking for a good Six Sigma book Six Sigma 4
G Looking to move to an electronic QMS software Software Quality Assurance 10
C Looking for source of silicone contamination in ISO Class 8 Cleanroom Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
F Looking for a Japan MAH recommendation that is not too expensive Japan Medical Device Regulations 4
P Looking for Risk Assessment Template - Not necessarily Asset based IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
S Looking for procedure on UDI (Unique Device Identification) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
JT3M Looking for FMEA plastic injection molding FMEA and Control Plans 8
M Start-Up Company looking for ISO 13485 Certification Body and Medical Device CE Mark Notified Body Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
N Looking for input on the attached Process / IATF 16949 Clause Matrix IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Ajit Basrur Looking for a Design Transfer Checklist 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N I am looking at two Registrars Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
P ISO 14001 - Looking for a Gap Analysis Template ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
E Usability Process - Looking for a template (IEC 62366) IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 1
S What are you looking for in an automated quality management system? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 8
S Usability procedure - looking for a template IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 3
D Looking for PowerPoint presentation for ISO 17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A IATF 16949 - 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Programme - looking for example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5