QMS for Life Sciences
Elsmar Cove Forum Sponsor

Looking for Traceability Training Ideas - The how's and why's of traceability

Y

ydennekb

Hello all.

I am looking for something I can use for training our employees on the how's and why's of traceability. I've already worked up some stuff on both of these, but I'm looking for ideas and thought this would be the place.

Thank you,
BK

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
Are you looking for something specific for you company processes (in which case we'd need a bit more info from you about what you make and the level of traceability you have) or traceability in general?

Y

ydennekb

Marc,
Thank you for the reply. Here at our facility we manufacture drilling masts and have had some issues crop up lately in this respect. What I'm looking for is something to show the purpose behind the traceability requirement.

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
I found the attached 'mini tutorial' which may give you a few ideas.

When I look at traceability in a company the level of traceability is typically related to the various risk factors (internal and external failures).

If I was having problems with, for example, people not completing travelers or such, I'd try to list the potential effects of a worst case failure.

Traceability gets a bit 'tricky' because of the specificity of the product. For example, a medical device or an aerospace LRU has a high risk potential where a failure could cause death. Because of that high risk traceability often involves serial numbers for each item, batch numbers or similar, and traceability often extends to component lots. On the other hand if one is injection molding rubber ducks for kids to play with in the bath tub there is a low risk of a failure (such as a molding defect causing a weak spot which tears allowing the duck to leak) causing any significant damage. On the other hand, as we've seen with the somewhat recent 'lead paint' issue, even making simple toys requires a certain amount of traceability.

Well, I could go on, but I'm sure you get the idea.

I doubt anyone here will have anything specific to drilling masts, but you never know.

Also see:

Traceability Documents

Traceability Discussions

Attachments

Top Bottom