SBS - The best value in QMS software

Losing a friend / co-worker (some golf history here too)

Crusader

Trusted Information Resource
The past 5 months I have been helping a friend and co-worker who is ill. I guess this has added to my stress (a different post).

He is Ralph Guldahl, Jr. 73. His dad is famous in the golf world - same name obviously. His dad won several golf tournaments in the 30's. The Braemar CC in Tarzana, CA has a room dedicated to Ralph Sr. and a life-size bronze statue, and 1 of 2 courses there is named after Ralph Sr.

I feel like a daughter to Ralph and I think he kinda sees me that way lately. He has had so many complications with diabetes and his general health that it is my understanding from his social worker that his health is progressively declining. Since I am not family she is not allowed to say more. So sad. He has the mind of a steel trap as we say at work. He is our museum curator. He also was a golf pro in his early years, then car racing journalist. He taught me some good golf tips. We used to practice putting in my office during break times and I sunk 10+ in a row one time and he said, "I give up, you're just too good now." It was all in jest and we still laugh about it to this day.

-just wanted to share. I know there are some golfers out there who might find his dad's history interesting. Funny (odd) thing is, Ralph Jr. is supposed to attend a Jack Nicholas event in May this year because Ralph Sr. is being inducted in Jack's hall-of-fame deal. The PGA calls our work constantly and sends mail to get Ralph to come out there. They know about his condition but not all.

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I am sure that your being part of his life is very comforting to him. I hope your little talk goes well, he definitely does need to make sure he has his stuff in order. btw, if he says you can be made privy to what is going on medically, the social worker can tell you, but only with his permission.

BradM

Staff member
Admin
You know, your post seems to mirror the same steps that we go through. First, your post mentions the stress that you obviously are experiencing.
Then, you reflect on the fond times and memories you have had with him, and then end thinking about his well-being and care.

It seems that so many things are pulling at our time/effort that we become naturally guarded. However, when we take the first step to give, its truly a blessing how many things we get back in return.

It would appear this man has had an effect on you. I suggest you set up a video camera and record you talking, playing golf, and goofing around with him. As life progresses, his health will deteriorate, and his mind will become hostage to his body. When that happens, pull your tapes out and remind yourself of the great man you remember him to be.

As Steel mentioned, as soon as possible, make sure you get all the paperwork in order, where the hard decisions can be made as painlessly as possible.

I'm not much of a golfer. I admire him more for the positive effect he has in people's lives; like you. If you thought enough to come here and share thoughts and pictures, he must truly be a great man.

Thanks for the story. :)

Crusader

Trusted Information Resource
Thanks for the kind words and advice. He has had a huge impact on me. No reality chat today. I'm going to wait to talk with his case worker. Spent a lot of time and laughed a lot. He's such a character. I still have hope that he'll get better.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Cannot Export multiple sections from Excel to PDF without losing pagination Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 23
N Losing your ISO Certification if you Lose Your AS9100 Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Losing our Certification under 4th Edition Rules IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
P Losing Accreditation - JAS-ANZ has changed the conditions of non-conformances ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Marc Microsoft Losing Big To Apple On Campus After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 18
Chennaiite Are 'Quality' Standard Certifications slowly losing their Credibility? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 35
J Floworks and Losing Links Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
Marc Kilogram Reference Losing Weight General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 21
J Why American Companies in the Automobile Arena are Losing Money? World News 26
J No Management Representative? Losing money ever since they became ISO 9001 certified ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
T Losing faith in ability to succeed Career and Occupation Discussions 14
D I'm losing Management Support - I'm losing everyone else's interest Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
G A friend of mine has asked if I know of any Freeware CAPA Software Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
A Does any friend have the Powder Coating Control for Aluminum Parts? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
E Want to make a friend to chat with Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
BradM The family lost a little friend today Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 52
ScottK After a conversation with a friend I have declared myself a 6 Sigma Green Belt Six Sigma 14
A Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend - Common Sense Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 7
T Friend or Foe - ABC vs ISO Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 1
Marc Cats - Egypt to Today - Scourge or 'Friend'? Pls - No More Cat recipes! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 100
E Discussion between co-worker on tolerance and uncertainty and how to apply it. Thoughts? 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
B What is your pat answer when a co-worker asks about ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
P Bright Idea - My co-worker overstates his contribution - What is a good way to react? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
V Worker Chemical Safety Assessment - CEFIC/REACH Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 0
S Temporary worker within the Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
F Maximum walking distance for assembly line worker Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 28
Wes Bucey Oops! Opportunity for mistake proofing? Worker flicks wrong switch World News 14
Marc Days After Worker Buyouts, GM to Cut Hundreds of Salaried Jobs World News 4
Marc Delphi, GM Reach Deals With UAW on Hourly Worker Buyouts World News 1
C Struggling to teach a co-worker how to read dial calipers, any advice? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
Marc Bye-Bye, Pension! The trend in the US to reduce middle class worker wages World News 17
Marc Worker fired for eating leftover pizza wins contest Career and Occupation Discussions 4
D Worker self-inspection - I would like to implement a first pilot experience Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
S OHSAS 18001 Implementation - ISO 14001 Integration - Worker's Comp breaks? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 10
Marc 6.4 Work Environment - What does ISO 9001:2000 say about worker safety? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2