Loss of a Quality Record - FDA Inspection

Hello Elmar Forum :)

I am looking for guidance.
We are currently going through an FDA Audit for Medical Devices and we cannot locate a CAPA from 2016. I see in 820.180 the mention of storage to minimize deterioration and to prevent loss but I do not see anywhere about what to do if you lose a record.
Currently my record retention procedure does not reflect this either.

HELP PLEASE!

Vicki

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

craiglab

Involved In Discussions
Hi Vicki. The QMS is to be designed to maintain control and losing a CAPA is akin to losing control. For recreating the CAPA you might want to look at previous quality/management reviews, internal audits, places where actions already taken are documented (like an ECO), etc.). And open a CAPA to investigate and correct this deficiency in your document control process. I would not be concerned with a process to follow since this should be a rare exception - do what you can and document with a note to file.

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
Hi Vicky,
If you cannot find the hard copy or the soft copy of a particular CAPA record it may be that it was cancelled. Do some research into it.
Another path to follow: talk to the IT department and retrieve a backup of 2016 QA folders. You should be able to find it if it was filled and executed.

Good luck with the audit.

Shimon

Hi Vicki. The QMS is to be designed to maintain control and losing a CAPA is akin to losing control. For recreating the CAPA you might want to look at previous quality/management reviews, internal audits, places where actions already taken are documented (like an ECO), etc.). And open a CAPA to investigate and correct this deficiency in your document control process. I would not be concerned with a process to follow since this should be a rare exception - do what you can and document with a note to file.
Thanks craiglab, this was helpful. We were able to produce about 95% of the documents however they were not signed. He reviewed them and was ok because all of our other documents had no issues. I will take your advice and open a CAPA to address our deficiencies. Thanks again!!

Hi Vicky,
If you cannot find the hard copy or the soft copy of a particular CAPA record it may be that it was cancelled. Do some research into it.
Another path to follow: talk to the IT department and retrieve a backup of 2016 QA folders. You should be able to find it if it was filled and executed.

Good luck with the audit.

Shimon
I had saved a lot of the information in a folder and was able to reprint. We were also able to show that it had been reviewed during a ISO audit and during our management review which saved us a 483. : )
Thanks for your help!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M How far does one go to protect quality and other records from "loss" Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 1
Geoff Cotton Taguchi quality loss function - How do I establish the 'Consumer Loss' element? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
E Received a Major finding during IATF Surveillance audit for loss of BIQS Level 3 (more than 6 SPPS in 6 months)...how should we address SYSTEMIC CA? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
M Informational FDA discussion paper – Consideration of Benefit-Risk Approaches for Weight-Loss Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
H 8.4.2.4.1 Supplier Audit - Supplier with IATF certified loss IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
BradM Sympathy to Wes Bucey and his family, loss of his wife Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 20
Q Loss of Personnel - Root Cause Analysis ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
E Risk Analysis - Events which may cause to Data Loss ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
M Taguchi Loss Function Problem Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
RoxaneB Fighting Corporate Memory Loss Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
T Calibration Laboratory Temperature/Humidity goes out of tolerance due to Power Loss General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
V Monitoring Specific Reasons and Categories of Yield Loss of Online Rejects ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
E US FDA Blood Loss Policy - Dislodged Hemodialysis Needle Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
Randy Loss of gravitational attraction (Weight loss for you PhD's) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 29
C Assembly Line Organization 17% Startup Loss - SMED (LCD TVs) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
Marc Taguchi Loss Function example Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
S Incidence of Loss of Competency - Departure of a Knowledgable Employee Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
G Implementing Taguchi Loss Function in COQ - A Curious Case Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
M "Pet Project" Improvements - At a loss Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 23
Chennaiite What is the loss? A guy buys a chocolate from a shop worth 80 YEN Brain Teasers and Puzzles 20
bobdoering Toyota forecasts $8.6B loss, says 1 million sales will vanish World News 2
chris1price Loss of CE Mark - MHRA decided that they are not Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 10
Jim Wynne GM Posts $15.5 Billion Second-Quarter Loss World News 0
K Cost Estimation of Sand Casting Process including the Pig Loss in estimation Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
H Rolled Throughput Yield (RTY) Loss - Can you measure in PPM? Six Sigma 3
Marc Ford posts its worst loss in history World News 8
Marc Ford Reports Loss of $5.8 Billion in 3rd Quarter World News 0
Marc Ford Has $1.19 Bln 1st-Qtr Loss on Job-Cutting Costs World News 15
Marc GM tried to mask its billion-dollar third-quarter loss with bright news World News 15
Marc The Loss of Manufacturing Jobs since 1999 - Will Unions make a Come Back in the US? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 24
Marc GM plunges into $1bn quarterly loss World News 28
M ASTM Method for Light Loss Testing - Enclosures for the CCTV industry Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
M Monetary Loss due to NonConformances - Who is liable? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11
D Loss Prevention in ISO 9001:2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Marc Zero Defects & Taguchi Loss Function - ISO 9000 and the Zero Defects Philosophy Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 32
M Quality Metrics Questions Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
F Quality manual for trading company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
John Broomfield Informational Terms used in quality management [Deleted] Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
D Imaging/Image Quality Standards Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
D Quality Team Structure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
V Quality Objectives - ISO 9001 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
E Best way to keep up with pharmaceutical quality knowledge and current affairs Service Industry Specific Topics 1
C Quality assurance in Pharmacovigilance Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
I Quality Policy and Objectives examples Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 4
Miner Quality checks of product QR codes FMEA and Control Plans 2
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
M Operational (free) simulation games for manufacturing and quality Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
I Help: QFD House of Quality Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
F Risk for Quality Assurance Department in a Hospital - Hospital Incident Reporting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
I New to LEAN but not to Quality - How to run Kaizen events Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1