Loss of a Quality Record - FDA Inspection

Hello Elmar Forum :)

I am looking for guidance.
We are currently going through an FDA Audit for Medical Devices and we cannot locate a CAPA from 2016. I see in 820.180 the mention of storage to minimize deterioration and to prevent loss but I do not see anywhere about what to do if you lose a record.
Currently my record retention procedure does not reflect this either.

HELP PLEASE!

Vicki

craiglab

Involved In Discussions
Hi Vicki. The QMS is to be designed to maintain control and losing a CAPA is akin to losing control. For recreating the CAPA you might want to look at previous quality/management reviews, internal audits, places where actions already taken are documented (like an ECO), etc.). And open a CAPA to investigate and correct this deficiency in your document control process. I would not be concerned with a process to follow since this should be a rare exception - do what you can and document with a note to file.

Hi Vicky,
If you cannot find the hard copy or the soft copy of a particular CAPA record it may be that it was cancelled. Do some research into it.
Another path to follow: talk to the IT department and retrieve a backup of 2016 QA folders. You should be able to find it if it was filled and executed.

Good luck with the audit.

Shimon

Hi Vicki. The QMS is to be designed to maintain control and losing a CAPA is akin to losing control. For recreating the CAPA you might want to look at previous quality/management reviews, internal audits, places where actions already taken are documented (like an ECO), etc.). And open a CAPA to investigate and correct this deficiency in your document control process. I would not be concerned with a process to follow since this should be a rare exception - do what you can and document with a note to file.
Thanks craiglab, this was helpful. We were able to produce about 95% of the documents however they were not signed. He reviewed them and was ok because all of our other documents had no issues. I will take your advice and open a CAPA to address our deficiencies. Thanks again!!

Hi Vicky,
If you cannot find the hard copy or the soft copy of a particular CAPA record it may be that it was cancelled. Do some research into it.
Another path to follow: talk to the IT department and retrieve a backup of 2016 QA folders. You should be able to find it if it was filled and executed.

Good luck with the audit.

Shimon
I had saved a lot of the information in a folder and was able to reprint. We were also able to show that it had been reviewed during a ISO audit and during our management review which saved us a 483. : )
Thanks for your help!

Top Bottom