SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Lost Cause for Understanding and Implementing ISO 9001

A

Armmy

Hi there,
I dont know where to begin. I have been appointed quality manager of my small company however I have no experience in this area and havent an idea where to begin. Whats worse is that Im not long working for this company and and am not aware of all there proceedures. Ive spent alot of time on this forum researching but every thread I read are from people who have at the very least a clue about ISO etc.
I have an outline so far as how I am going to pursue it - from research gathered, but if there is anyone out there who can explain scope, exclusions, control documents etc I would really Appreciate it!! Templates of control documents would save me alot of time too as there are none in place!
Thanks in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Armmy

Re: Lost Cause for Understanding and Implementing ISO9001

Thanks!
Those links look good! The system is implemented, it all just documentation, which is difficult when Idont know the system.. and the terminology for the documentation is quite daunting when Ive never had to do a manual before.
Thanks for the help:cool:

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

What is your background? Think of the ways you can apply it to customer service and making things work better. Then, I would suggest that since you have so little quality (QA or QC) experience that you read the standard through several times and then get yourself signed up for an implementation class, then an auditing class, and then as things progress you can take classes here and there that will help you fill out your knowledge base. And, of course, keep visiting us here and ask any questions that you need. I'm not sure what business you are in, but chances are someone here is at least a little familiar with similar businesses.

S

Sartaj Bedi

Well you sre in the best place to know more about ISO 9000.
Buy the ISO fundamental and vocabulary,
the latest requirement I imagine ur implementing ISO 9001 2008 standard so buy it. Snd the latest -ISO 9004 standard for the intent.
I have been in ur shoes. Reading this will get u a head start.
Where u get confused refr the poionts in this forum. There will be ample info. Its actually quite easy to get certified but harder to live up to it.

Easy steps
Write ur scope
Quality plicy
Quality objective
Process map
Documen mandatory procedures
Mandatory records

Start with this. And implement.

Take the standard and link it with all document u create.
Get certfied for quality without tears.

U can improve it later and make it ur own.
Don't worry about control of documents for every docvument in ur org. All
Docs don't have to be controlled. Quality wasn't built in a day and ur documentation need not be as comprehensive.
There are some examples of one page QMS.

A small org if it implements the mandatory procedures in the write way will benefit
Immensly.

I hope ur org is comitted to quality because u will and ur org businssd practices will be challenged.

Hope this helps.

Do write more about ur company.

S

Sorin

One word: Training.

There should be courses in your area. Minimum necessary (imo): understand and implement ISO; auditing.

Don't fall for webinars or online courses.

First of all, welcome to the Cove Armmy, :bigwave:
I have been appointed quality manager of my small company however I have no experience in this area and havent an idea where to begin.
It is a good thing that you found the Cove, then. I have been around this place for many years, and I still reap great benefits from the discussions and hints provided here. I am certain that you will be able to do that too. Good advice has been put forth already. That said, sorin is right on the button of course:
One word: Training.
You need some training to get you started the right direction. That will also make it easier to ask the right questions both here and within your company.

Good luck :agree1:

/Claes

W

wny4ever

As the prior posts state, obtain training on ISO 9001, then on auditing. I would further suggest that you search out a local ASQ section. They will have resources available to you. Networking is an important support mechanism.

A

Armmy

Thanks to everyone who has given me feedback! I am very really grateful!!!
Training - yes that is a very good idea, and id love to get a grip on everything through a course however My company doesnt not want to spend any money apart from the fees to get certified! Hense my dilemma :nope:

I have some food for thought now with all your feedback, I hope there is not too much required as it is a IT company and relatively small..

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Cost of Poor Quality (CoPQ) - Scrap element of calculation includes lost margin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
B Am so sorry but i am lost (Aerospace) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
Marc Have you Lost some "Points"? (16 August 2018) Forum News and General Information 4
M True Position / GD&T - I'm staring at this drawing and I'm lost Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Calibration Recall - Lost Gages procedure example wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Jim Wynne GD&T Symbols: Lost in Translation Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
AnaMariaVR2 Consequences of lost cargo in pharma vs other industries Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
S Cost of business lost / opportunity lost? How to address? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 13
S ISO 9001 Clause 7.5.4 - Damaged or Lost Customer Property Record ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Sidney Vianna Cutting & Pasting via Google Chrome - hyperlinks are lost After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
J Completely Lost in QA - Not equipped for QA, QC, ISO, etc. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 16
S NADCAP Plater Lost its Accreditation - NADCAP bites us again AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
Marc The Christmas Jug Band - Santa Lost A Ho Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
S Contracted and Lost - Manufacture of a Patented Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
L Lost in the Post-Market Surveillance Clinical Follow-up EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T Records of Measurement Equipment which is Lost or Withdrawn from Service General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
R LOST the final episodes - May 2010 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
T Notification of lost/damaged Customer Property - Customer Requirement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
BradM The family lost a little friend today Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 52
A Corrective Action for lost project quality records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Gage Block In-House Calibration - Blocks lost and users keep exchanging blocks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
G Lost in spaghetti-shaped processes Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 48
Bev D Have we lost Reason with the presence of standards? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
Paul Simpson HMRC Article - Data Disks Lost - Bank records of 25 million UK subjects The Reading Room 2
J Sine Plate Charts - Someone lost the angle chart - Where can I get one? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Jen Kirley Data for 2.9 million Georgians lost Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
BradM Long-lost service instructions Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
R LOST...the TV show - Why have we never discussed "LOST"? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 23
C Control of Vernier Calipers - Calipers easily switched between operators and lost Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 16
Jim Wynne Lost in Translation - Computer translations of one language to another After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
Q How many companies have lost their ISO 9001 registration involuntarily? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
K Lost Balloonist Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
G I am Lost - Trying to implement an ISO 9001:2000 QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
T Gage R&R Excel .xls form and SPC Xbar and R template (lost it.. ) Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 13
S Supplier lost QS certificate and gave no notification Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
Wes Bucey A High Reliability Manager's Nightmare - The Lost Screw Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
H Lost gages and controlled instruments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B Transition of Quality Management - Recently lost our Quality Manager Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
CarolX Integrity lost? Conflict of Interest? ISO 9000 'Keepers' Profit from their books Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 42
L TQM Master's Thesis: Now I'm Lost Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 12
P Lot Integrity - Process Steps where Identification is Lost (eg.: Quench) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
qualprod What is exactly the root cause? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
M Test failure Root cause not found Customer Complaints 10
Tagin You're Gonna Need a Bigger Root Cause Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
Q IATF audit - Root Cause Analysis results IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
qualprod D5 of 8D clarification, how to verify root cause Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 26
T Tactics for Root Cause Analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
G Bad Parts cause Customer line stop IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
W Misinterpretation of requirement acceptable as root cause? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 19
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9