Lots of products - need CP's

Shaun Daly

Involved In Discussions
Greetings. I have a question for you folks, though I think I know what the answer will be.......

My company has over 500 individual injection moulded products we supply.

Some can be grouped into classes, but a lot are specific (extra brass inserts etc).

Would a TS assessor expect us to create backdated documentation (APQP) for all these parts?

Or could we go the "new products only route" + create documentation for any revised products as they occur?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Bill Ryan - 2007

I can only tell you our experience.

"Pre-TS" we were QS registered. Our auditor expected PFDs, PFMEAs, and Control Plans for every automotive part. Under QS we had a "grace period" to get that accomplished, in other words, we could have the "top 25" done by the next audit and go forward that way. It worked out OK and we now have all the documentation in place for roughly 400+ parts.

My understanding is that TS expects it to be in place yesterday. Obviously that can't happen unless you have the intention of going back and doing it "the right way" so you have "useful" documents.

I would suggest a call to your registrar and ask for their interpretation/expectation.

Bill

Shaun asks;
"Would a TS assessor expect us to create backdated documentation (APQP) for all these parts?"

Not backdated documentation, but revised/update documentation. During the your periodic review you woild be expected to update your documentation to comply with TS2 requirements.

Note: product realization, in and of itself, requires APQP, plus add-ins. All documentation will be required to be updated to TS2 at some point in the lifecycle of the product.

J

Jan T

CP's for plating

As a contract electoplate shop we handle strickly customer supplied product. Do we need to generate APQP documentation for each of customer part number or can we create generic docs for each plating process ie zinc, zinc & chromate, silver, zinc-nickel, copper etc.? We are ISO 9000 certified but are going to TS 16949. so this is a major jump for us. Any help now and again will be greatly appreciated. :bigwave:

Shaun Daly

Involved In Discussions
If you have many products which follow the same process I believe you can have a generic Process Flowplan, FMEA & Control Plan.

Where the process differs then you have to go product specific.

Thats the impression I have from reading TS & comments here.

Shaun,
The product realization process itself must be customer specific, but Yes, you can have generic documents. The problem IMO, is trying to satisfy more than one customer. For example, customer requirements must be include on FC's CP's & PFMEA's. I know, from previous experience with molded products, that DCX, Ford & GM have different inspection requirements and require different methods for SPC. Also [email protected] requirements are different.

T

tomvehoski

Jan,

For the chrome plater I am working with now we created generic control plans, FMEAs and process flows for the most complicated process. For each part we modify from the base document and add the customer specific information (part number, rev level, etc.) We keep the control plans pretty vague on purpose - they don't want to give away their secrets to plating where the customer can give it to another shop that will save them a few cents per part. Process paramaters are kept in separate work instructions which are confiential and referenced by the control plan.

Tom

Shaun Daly

Involved In Discussions
>The product realization process itself must be customer specific, >but Yes, you can have generic documents. The problem IMO, is >trying to satisfy more than one customer. For example, >customer requirements must be include on FC's CP's & PFMEA's. >I know, from previous experience with molded products, that >DCX, Ford & GM have different inspection requirements and >require different methods for SPC. Also [email protected] requirements >are different

Good point. Fortunately my company only has 2 main customers & we are all part of the same group.

J

Jan T

Control Plans

Thanks to all for your imput. Tom, I will keep in mind your imput on control plans.

Thanks again, I will probably have more questions on other issues later.:bigwave:

M

MsHeeler

We have CPs and FMEAs on 9 items that are identical. We got one the way that we wanted it and just changed the part number and revision level, and saved it as a new name.

It worked really well. We have only had to make one change, and it was really easy.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Labeling for Validation Lots Products EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Jane's Like-for-like critical raw material change qualification - type of testing/ number of lots required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K Analysis variation among the lots during cpk calculation. Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
A Gauge Study for Small Lots Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
V 3 PQ lots mentioned as requirement in PPAP. Is this necessary? APQP and PPAP 2
N FDA Traceability Requirements - Component lots ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
lilybef Number of lots required for stability testing of a Class II device in the 510(k) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
L Why is initial production units, lots, or batches, or their equivalents required for Design Validation? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Q Is it acceptable to mix components from two different lots into an assembly? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Sampling plan for destructive tests on small lots ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
D Number of Manufacturing Lots for Process Validation Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
T Combining multiple lots of the same raw component for packaging or kitting 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
K Sampling Plan for Small Lots of Single Use Items Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
Ronen E Covidien recalls some Monoject Insulin Safety Syringe lots Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
Ronen E Ethicon recalls some ECHELON 60 ENDOPATH? STAPLER Endoscopic Linear Cutter lots Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
Ronen E Moog Medical Devices Group is Recalling certain Lots of IV Sets Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
V Sample Size for Attribute Data - Large Production Lots Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
T How to calculate AQL on Small Lots AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 1
A Looking for a wordsmith - Little compensation - Lots of appreciation! General Auditing Discussions 8
T Sampling Plan for Small Lots between 20 and 100 or so units Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
A What is a good Sampling Plan for LARGE Lots of Supplier Components Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
M Zero Acceptance Number Sampling Plans for Isolated Lots Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
B Addressing Lots that were measured with Out of Tolerance Gage Pins Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
N Re-Packaging and Re-Labeling Bulk Lots of Class II Medical Devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
P Testing 3 Manufacturing Production Lots EU Medical Device Regulations 4
N AQL (Acceptable Quality Level) Sampling Plan for Small Lots AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
T Partial Shipping of Lots - Shipping of product prior to the lot being completed ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
F Determining the Number of Samples for receiving large lots of wire? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
S Silver Plating (Lots of questions) Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
A Traceability and Control of Manufacturing Lots IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Z Tracking Lots for Reduced and Tightened Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M FOC (3 lots) - First of Code - Are you still doing 3 lots for FOC? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
D Samples from Lots of Incoming Raw Materials - Sampling Protocol Help Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
D Device History Record - Single file for each lot with all the lots history? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
K Reproducibility between different lots using minitab Using Minitab Software 1
A Combining Lots under ANSI/ASQC Z1.4 Inspection Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Marc Telcos: The Internet Will Collapse If The Gov't Doesn't Gives Us Lots Of Money After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
I Traceablity of Small Part Lots Supplied to Production taken from Large Lots? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
R Sample Size and Confidence question for Small Sample Size on Large Lots Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
H Medical Devices and Mixed Lots Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S Mixing lots at the platers - Electrical Contacts Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
Q AQL - Can progressive acceptance be used with longer/bigger lots? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
R Sampling plan for lots smaller than 25 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
D Confidence interval for % overuse in component lots Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
C Qualification Lots and product transfer elements affected IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Individual or Moving Range Chart? Parts run in lots of 7 with 4 key wall thicknesses Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
R Reject Rates - Lots and split lots Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
M Basics of a Quality System - Novice Book with lots of illustrations Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 5
I TS 16949 Quality Manual Templates - Lots of free examples and great discussion! Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 159
I Fast Runs - Four lots, one day each, every month - What chart to use? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2