Low-tech way to check a chamfer at the machine

C

cpbraun

I remember in the past seeing chamfer gage sets (like radius gage sets) that operators could use to check the depth of a 45° chamfer at the machine (go/no) Any idea if these are still manufactured or not? Where to get them?
Thanks.

J

JRKH

Well I don't know if there are sets out there. you might need to do some calling around...
Personally I'd use a six inch rule with an adjustable stop like the one HEREThis way it can be set and the operator can do the check.

Peace
James

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
I remember in the past seeing chamfer gage sets (like radius gage sets) that operators could use to check the depth of a 45° chamfer at the machine (go/no) Any idea if these are still manufactured or not? Where to get them?
Thanks.

Chamfer Gages from Starrett. Mabe too high-tech?

Countersink Gages.

Note: I am not associated with Starrett nor any of its distributors.

Stijloor.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
You can go real old school with the double ball method. I don't recommend it...but it is out there as an option.

C

cpbraun

These work great on circular features, and I have used them often. I am looking for something to check .03-.04 x 45° callouts on non-circular edges....

J

JRKH

These work great on circular features, and I have used them often. I am looking for something to check .03-.04 x 45° callouts on non-circular edges....

Without knowing the application, I have to say that this sounds like a pretty specific callout for what sounds essentially like "break the corner" or "remove sharp edges....
How critical is this to fit and function?

Probably your best bet is to have a special gage made up.

Peace
James

C

cpbraun

Thanks for the reply James. Most likely, I will have to get gages made up. As to your question, I went back to review our print and P.O. and found no mention of fit or function... Never seen that on a technical print before.....

S

silentrunning

Are you talking about putting an edge champer on a sheet metal part? If so, we use a protractor and caliper for on line checks. A skilled operator can check amazingly close with these tools. It's pretty low tech too. :)

Doug

Top Bottom