Machine Capability Studies on CNC Lathes

DWPOZE

Registered Visitor
I'm currently conducting capability studies on some CNC Lathes. I was going to have them run me a 100 consecutive pieces. The question I have should I allow them to offset the machine during the study.

Appreciate your help

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
G

galcantar

What do you mean to "allow them offset the machine" ?

Capability study main objective is to "know" common causes related to equipment; no adjustments, no operator changes, no measurement method- devices changes, material from same lot, etc.

Pieces needs to be consecutive and numered to check process stability

J

JaySturgeon

Agree with gal

What do you mean to "allow them offset the machine"?

Capability study main objective is to "know" common causes related to equipment; no adjustments, no operator changes, no measurement method- devices changes, material from same lot, etc.

Pieces needs to be consecutive and numered to check process stability

I am not a staistical guru but IMHO, you need 120 parts before you have a staistical sound sampling of the process. Those parts can not be influenced in any way to determine true capability.

Where did automotive get their 30 pc. therory is what I'd like to know.

:bonk:

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
DWPOZE said:
I'm currently conducting capability studies on some CNC Lathes. I was going to have them run me a 100 consecutive pieces. The question I have should I allow them to offset the machine during the study.
If you mean adjusting or centering the process, then NO.

If the CNC has any built-in program/cycles for automatic tool nose radius compensation etc, then that should be considered a part of the process and should be allowed.

J

JaySturgeon

Question

Atul.............

Any comments regarding automotive selected sample size for cap. studies?

:cool:

ksanders

Involved In Discussions
DWPOZE said:

Appreciate your help

I agree with the others. In our shop, the term 'offset' is another name for adjust. Adjustments within a study are not allowed.

DWPOZE

Registered Visitor
I understand that no adjustments (offsetting) should be made to the machine. But if set the machine up to the mean and run 100 consecutive pcs it will tell you how capable the machine is without operator making adjustments. But when your trying to hold a .001" total tolerance, adjustments will have to be made sooner or later during production

"I understand that no adjustments (offsetting) should be made to the machine. But if set the machine up to the mean and run 100 consecutive pcs it will tell you how capable the machine is without operator making adjustments. But when your trying to hold a .001" total tolerance, adjustments will have to be made sooner or later during production"

Two different processes.
- Initial process capability study; 100/125 pc sample size, run parts with no adjustments to set-up, measure oarts, plot on chart, evaluate, make adjustments and re-run study.

- on-going process control; evaluate charts periodically, make changes when process shows evidence of gion out of control.

J

JaySturgeon

On The Money

Two different processes.
- Initial process capability study; 100/125 pc sample size, run parts with no adjustments to set-up, measure oarts, plot on chart, evaluate, make adjustments and re-run study.

- on-going process control; evaluate charts periodically, make changes when process shows evidence of gion out of control.

Sam is right on the money. Are you being required for on-going SPC for the characteristic you've been discussing. On a CNC shooting for nominal is not a biggy. If you have tool compensation running you should be ok for the future SPC requirements, provided you have any.

We are a metal stamper. I continually have customers wanting Cpk numbers for holes and slots. In metal stamping punches (to put in the hole or slot) are always ground to the high side of the tolerance for wearability purposes, thus your Cpk numbers will always suck. I have done pretty well at convnincing most customeras to look at the Cp numbers and not the Cpk number.

Oh well......and they ask me why I drink!

:thedeal:

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
JaySturgeon said:
Any comments regarding automotive selected sample size for cap. studies?
Like Sam said:

1.For initial process capability studies, it is necessary to run the process through all its natural cycles of variation, without adjustments. This is why a continuous sampling of 100-125 pieces is recommended.

2.You should not assess capability before ensuring that the process is stable and in control and 30 individual readings may not be sufficient to determine stability and control.

According to AIAG SPC manual:
Assessment of process capability begins after control issues in both XBar and R charts have been resolved (special causes identified, analyzed, corrected and prevented from recurring), and the ongoing control charts reflect a process that is in statistical control, preferably for 25 or more subgroups.

and also:
Generally, 25 or more subgroups containing about 100 or more individual readings give a good test for stability, and, if stable, good estimates of the process location and spread.

-Atul.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Capability studies on machine types - Supplier has over 1000 machines Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
M Machine Tool Calibration - Machine Capability Studies on CNC Machine Tools Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
M Volumetric Positioning - Machine capability studies for CNC machine tools General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
I Reason for pre-production machine/process capability studies / SPC during production Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
M Differences between Machine Capability and Product Capability studies Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
D Machine Capability Studies: How many parts needed? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
S Machine Setup for a CNC Machine Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
A Statistic Tools to Know Capability of Sealing Machine for Seal Width Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
S Proving Process Capability of a Packing Machine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
B Determing Machine Capability in a High Mix, Low Volume Sheet Metal Shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S What is the difference between Process Capability and Machine Capabilty Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
F Capability for a Injection Mold Machine (35 Cavities) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 17
L Capability Study for a Honing Machine Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
G How to calculate Subgroup Size for Machine Capability Study Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
V How to calculate Machine Capability Study using Minitab Using Minitab Software 4
A CQE Exam Machine Capability Question - HELP Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
K Excel Spreadsheet Template to calculate Cmk (Machine Capability) wanted Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
I Machine Capability Analysis in Multi-Dimensional Cases Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
S Machine Capability (Cm) for Plastic Injection Molding Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
S Machine Capability with Plastic Producers Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
Q Machine Capability Study - Cpk (Cmk) of an R/F testing machine Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
R How to measure Machine Capability index Cpm Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
T Machine GR&R (Gage R&R) - Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
M Cmk (Machine Capability) - Case study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
V Machine short term capability study with Cmk index in automotive industry Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
Y Product Stability (Machine Capability) vs. Equipment Repeatability (Gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
S Machine Capability vs. Process Capability - Differences? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 16
Q Confused about the machine capability index Cmk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
M Is a machine capability the right thing to do Next? Laser measuring machine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
S Experience with DOE in machine capability study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
M What are the general rules / guidelines when doing a machine capability study? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
A Acceptance criteria for Cmk (machine capability index) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
M How To Conduct Machine Capability Of An Electrical Discharge Machining (edm)? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
M How to Conduct a Machine Capability (Cmk) Study Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 26
S Cmk and Cpk - When will we need to calculate Cmk? Machine Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
S Cmk is defined as a Capability Index for a Stable Machine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
S How to determine a machine capability? Measuring results for only one shaft APQP and PPAP 1
S How to Determine a Machine Capability? Shaft Fit Tolerance Measurement Results Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M Determining Machine Capability and Process Capability of a Shaft Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
D Where can I find Process & Machine Capability study software? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
B IQ/OQ/PQ of CNC Milling Machine Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
G Engineering retest in line - Machine stability issues IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
R Machine directory (2006/42/EEC) is applicable or not Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
B Product Safety Responsibility - Job shop such as a machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
Marc The German Enigma Machine of World War II After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
R Revalidation machine line and Stability Studies impact. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
K Validation of new machine (second machine of the same type) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
P How far an operator can reach into a machine before it becomes an ergonomic problem CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
GreatNate Qualifying a CNC machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C Machine Verification Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 2