Machine Tool Calibration - Machine Capability Studies on CNC Machine Tools

M

mlthompson

Anybody have any resources/experiences regarding machine capability studies on CNC machine tools? I've done machine studies measuring parts, but I recently read some information regarding using a ballbar and laser systems.

Is doing a machine capability study valid if the machine isn't under load?

Any help will be appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Boscoeee

Re: Machine Tool Calibration

Anybody have any resources/experiences regarding machine capability studies on CNC machine tools? I've done machine studies measuring parts, but I recently read some information regarding using a ballbar and laser systems.

Is doing a machine capability study valid if the machine isn't under load?

Any help will be appreciated.
Check out this article, just thought it was interesting!:D
http://www.moldmakingtechnology.com/articles/040306.html

I have always had the same question regarding running a machine under load, hope someone will weigh in here that has more experience in this area.

I use Ball Bar Testing as part of preventive and predictive maintenance program.

Our CNC Machine tool capabilities are determined by using either parts or test pieces designed to test the capability.

Have no experience with calibrating CNC Tools with lasers!:cool:

Re: Machine Tool Calibration

I'm not sure what the benefit of using a calibration technique is going to be to determine the capability of a cnc machine tool.

It's inappropriate to use the term 'calibration' - but since the OP uses the words 'capability' I think that's really what we're talking about. A part study has always been the most applicable, since it's more than simple geometry of the machine slides, like the interactions of head/spindle/bed etc. that contributes to the result - the capability.

Unless there's been some dramatic or revolutionary difference in the past 50 years machine capability practices, then I think you're going to be running parts.......:lol:

M

mlthompson

AndyN

So, what you are saying is that there is a difference between machine tool calibration and machine capability studies?

When you google "machine tool calibration" you get a long list of websites discussing linear calibration, volumetric calibration using ballbar/laser systems, etc. All this is intended to verify that accuracy of the machine.

I am looking for the most applicable method to verify that my CNC machine tools are accurate and have good repeatability. Is it your experience that to check accuracy and repeatability is like the difference between gage calibration and Gage R&R studies?

Mike:

The real problem lays in the way people use the term 'calibration'. Even in this small and (well) educated community on the Cove, it means different things to different people. Often folks are convinced they 'know' calibration and then they describe something else.......

You can perform alignment checks at install/commissioning etc with lasers and other precision equipment. You can do this periodically as part of a pm program, but the proof, the machine capability is determined from measurement of output. In some ways it's like checking a car's front end alignment - will it affect the performance if it's out? Yes, but ultimately it's how it's driven, what tires it has, type of gasoline etc, etc. which defines 'performance'.

A

AggieRob02

In my experience Calibration and Certification go hand-in-hand. As far as process capability goes, It is determined by Cp or Cpk, as far as I understand. SPC should help this along with control charts.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J CNC Machine Tool Calibration - 6 dof Calibration Interferometers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A How to Determine Machine Tool Calibration Interval? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S PPAP machine VS tool Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
P Machine Shop Tool Crib Procedure - Tooling for CNC mills Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
M Pressure gage on a machine-monitoring tool or measuring tool? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
C Is tool wear monitoring and MTBF of machine parts considered as PdM? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Stijloor Machine Tool Builder Pre-Qualification Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
R Tool Kits to Reduce Direct Time on Milling Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
W Using a machine tool as a measuring device - ISO 9001 Clause 7.6 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Q Tool Wear Control Charts to Help Control Machine Tool Offsets Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
P Validation Methods of Machine learning and Artificial intelligence Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 10
Ashland78 PPAP required for repair of machine? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Q Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning and 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 7
H Machine Malfunction & Operator Errors Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 14
was named killer Wire Bonding Machine Provider Approved Vendor? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
D Machine rebuilds versus process re-validation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Calibration Interval calculation for ECG Machine Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
H FAI Requirement After Moving CNC Machine? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
H Traceability after changing the machine IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
K Screen printing ink and machine selection_ Need help Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
P Minimum Distance from Floor to Underneath of Machine Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 5
K PMA vs 510(k) for Mammography Machine US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
E Tensile test machine, tinius olsen 602 Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Class II type machine , and its compliance with 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 14
B SOP for CNC turret punching machine for sheet metal process Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
S Any ISO standards around Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
K Machine Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
H Software Validation for FFS Packaging Machine Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
M Determining if an Insulin Pen Testing Machine is a Medical Device? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K Regulatory requirement of SaMD with machine learning component IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
P Need a programmer for QVI's VMS software for optical inspection machine Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
B IQ/OQ/PQ of CNC Milling Machine Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
G Engineering retest in line - Machine stability issues IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
R Machine directory (2006/42/EEC) is applicable or not Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
B Product Safety Responsibility - Job shop such as a machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
Marc The German Enigma Machine of World War II After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
R Revalidation machine line and Stability Studies impact. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
K Validation of new machine (second machine of the same type) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
P How far an operator can reach into a machine before it becomes an ergonomic problem CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
GreatNate Qualifying a CNC machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C Machine Verification Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
F AS9100D Process Matrix for a small cnc machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B Using non CE parts in a machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Marco Bernardi Plane measurement with a 3D touch machine like a CMM. Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
Marco Bernardi Diameters measurement with 3D touch machine like a CMM Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
S Companies that maintain your machine should be in ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Machine Setup for a CNC Machine Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
GoSpeedRacer Veterinary anesthesia machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
H Should I mention machine/Equipment password In SOP? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
R How to properly use Survival Analysis to predict time to machine failure Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0