Magnetic Resonance ? Testing to ASTM F2503-08

S

SteveK

Does anyone know of a test house/laboratory in the UK that does MR deflection testing (i.e. at 3 Tesla) to ASTM F2503-08? Found places in Germany and France ? but somewhere more local would be nice. Maybe MRI setups in hospitals in the UK or indeed MR machine suppliers might offer such services ? anyone any experience/contacts? From what I have read the test itself is very simple ? hang a device on a piece of string and measure the deflection (with a protractor) in the mouth of the machine. Less than 45 degrees and it can be classed as ?MR Conditional?. The only difficulty in doing the test yourself is not having a MR source of 3T handy!

Thanks

Steve

Pads38

Re: Magnetic Resonance ? Testing to ASTM F2503-08?

A useful resource is Frank Shellock at

http://www.mrisafety.com/

(No connections)

It's not exactly local (USA) - but he is an expert.

In the UK - perhaps one of the university research groups such as at Nottingham:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/researc...ing/casestudies/magneticresonanceimaging.aspx

(There are others - probably at most of the major clinical research/teaching hospitals).

But, I guess, they would not be an 'audited test house' . No doubt they could do the test but they could not issue a certificate that would keep an auditor quiet.

M

MIREGMGR

If you feel like writing the physics rationale, in my view you can address this by means of knowledge that magnetic field attraction force falls off with distance, and the force resulting from a strong field at a particular distance can be simulated with a less-strong field at a shorter distance.

That's what we do at the company for which I work.

Of course, we are evaluating for MRI Safe rather than MRI Conditional. If the test item is known from material-physics analysis to have some degree of ferromagnetic behavior, the size of the field source also matters. Also, of course, as the suspended device deflects toward the source the field becomes stronger...so the rationale becomes more difficult.

S

SteveK

Thanks for the feedback - already read up on Frank Shellock (and visited site). Didn't think of Universities - but a possibility since links to hospitals. Other than choosing non-ferromagnetic materails and therefore making the assumption of "MR Conditional", I do think there is somebody with practical experience out there (in the UK). Although there are retrictions on what goes into a scanning room (e.g. MHRA guidance) - there is still plenty of kit that goes in there - so it must be assessed (as per e.g. http://www.floteco2.com/htm/Technical_Bulletins/TB-MRI_Compatibility_Flopac.html).

Steve

J

justjat

Anyone have any experience with Frank Shellock? Is he reputable and how are his prices?

Dave-h

Involved In Discussions
Good afternoon

In rummaging through the Cove for information on MRI testing, I came across this post from early 2015.

Did anyone find a place in the UK that was able to test products to determine the MRI safety status? I have a product that I'd like to test.

Thanks,

Top Bottom