Mail Call! And 'Care' Packages from home! Ah, Summer Camp!

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Strong Bow said:

I sure Steve remembers a lot more - most that is probably too steamy for this site.
Nah. It's just us Tosebo fellas (and related gals now) here.

Steamy??? :thedeal:

M

Murdoch Campbell

Kitchen Girls

Carol Roskie is the middle girl in the picture titled KitchenStaff.

H

hausser

Bathing Beauties

Yes, I can remember hoping to see them on the rubber raft, but I doubt if, an ten years old, I knew why.

And at my current age, I can't REMEMBER why!

I can remember one year the Camp Photographer taking extra pictures of Barbara Roskie that only the counselors could purchase.

G

GeorgeH

Root Beer. . . .In the 1952-55 period the root beer came from the Onekama drug store. The brand name was DADS in three sizes of bottles-12 oz Junior, Quart-Mama, and 64 oz Papa. In '55 we peeled bark off of sassafras roots-made cold, sweetened sassafras tea--poured it into the empty rootbeer bottles and took it along on the bus to Chicago at summers end.
Kitchen girls at the beach. . . They changed clothes upstairs in the boathouse. Some campers stood downstairs and looked up through cracks in the floor. SICK !! I'm glad I never did anything like that

M

Murdoch Campbell

Root Beer & Kitchen Girls

George--what were you doing riding the bus to Chicago at summer's end? I'm ashamed that I didn't look up--either didn't know about it or my hormones hadn't yet begun to circulate.

G

GeorgeH

I rode the bus to Chicago at end of camp in 1955-My parents drove from Marietta Ohio to pick me up there.
We stayed 2 nights in Chicago-visited the Planetarium, Museum of Science and Industry. It was my first experience in a big city. The busses belonged to the Todd Seminary. They were sleeper busses-the seats converted to beds, there were kitchen and bathing facilities in them. I seem to recall the name of one of the busses was "Big Bertha". I also seem to recall the name of the bus driver who drove up from Woodstock--Wally Dahl--also seem to recall that he had some fingers missing. George Hausser

H

hausser

Bus to Chicago

...and the one time I got to ride the bus to Chicago, I remember stopping in Holland, Michigan where everyone purchased a pair of wooden shoes - probably stored in an attic somewhere!

H

hausser

Sunday letters home.

When I was going through my older brother, George's, collection recently, I found that he wisely filled the second page of the mandatory letter home with not very artistic drawings of sailboats, etc. Took up much more space that the "Alan Sherman" type drivel that I wrote home about!

Top Bottom