Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Main responsibility for Control Plans - creating and maintaining

Booker

Starting to get Involved
Dear in Cove,

Which department in production organization should be mainly responsible for the process development and to describe the process by Process Flow Charts, PFMEAs, and Control Plans? The approach by CFT is considered. But, there is no common agreement for main responsibility.

Thanks for your hints.

Emmyd

Involved In Discussions
In my experience, it really depends on the size of the company and the corporate structure. In a Tier 1 where I worked, the Quality Engineer created the process flows and the control plans (which also doubled as our first piece sheets and hourly check sheets) but the ME's in Engineering created the DFMEA and the PFMEA. But this was larger staffed plant with a fairly large corporate structure.

At the Tier 2 I work at now, we have many fewer staff and one of the following Quality Engineer/Tech/Manager is responsible for the PFMEA (no DFMEA), process flow, control plans along with everything else that goes into a PPAP - including packaging.

I think it works really well to have a team approach to process development, but you have to identify a champion who makes sure that the work is done. There should be a defined responsible party - it may work better in Engineering or it may be better in Quality. There should be a common goal of making sure the customer and the company are covered regardless of who does the work.

If you are an automotive supplier, how are the PPAPs handled?

Booker

Starting to get Involved
Cross-Functional Team for CFT.

PPAP is another story in our organization. As it seems that PPAP is a goal, which means we need to do paperwork, not developing a process. That means everything is done from a table. Except for the measurements of the product for its validation. The usual question to me as a quality staff is. "When PPAP will be done?" Then my answer could not anything else, like. "Did you finish process design and development stage?". But, this is really another story.

Back to process development. What I do not understand is that quality staff should be responsible for process flow diagrams? Is the quality the key know-how owner for production process? Then to PFMEA - are not the process engineers knowing technology and are know-how masters knowing what can go wrong? And then Control Plans. For me, Control Plan is a list of important steps derivated from PFMEA which has to be focused on? Not a list with only checks, measurements, and tests.

outdoorsNW

Involved In Discussions
Depending on the structure of your company, departments such as design engineering, manufacturing engineering, machine programing (at some companies the programmers figure out some to all of the process flow) need to be involved.

Having said that, at my last company quality created the process flow by extracting the information from the shop floor control system entered by other groups. Quality also used that information to start the PFMEA (no DFMEA) and control plan.

Some work centers had risks and controls that were always present so quality inserted standard information into the FMEA and Control plan.

Ideally engineering would take the lead on PPAPs but the reality is quality ends up being the leader.

Engineering frequently knows nothing about creating PPAPs, FMEAs and control plans. I asked a bunch interns what they were being taught, and most had no exposure in school.

Some engineers want nothing to do with FMEAs and control plans. There was one engineer I sent fill in the blank type requests for information, where all the engineer had to do was provide me with the min and max for something, and I could not get a response. And the engineering manager was no help. My boss went up the chain of command to get an answer for me. The engineering manager was fired a few months later. (No idea how much this contributed to the firing.)

inspector 2s

Starting to get Involved
In my experience, anything that starts or has the word QUALITY in it, then unfortunately, it is easy to back heel it to inspection/quality department.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator
Process flows should be under the Manufacturing Engineers, the PFMEA should be under the Process Engineers, and the Control Plans should be under the Quality Engineers. This however, is sometimes not practical depending on the size of the organization. Some organizations like the one I work for the Quality Engineers do all of that with the support of the Plant Engineer. Just my opinion.

Process flows should be under the Manufacturing Engineers, the PFMEA should be under the Process Engineers, and the Control Plans should be under the Quality Engineers. This however, is sometimes not practical depending on the size of the organization. Some organizations like the one I work for the Quality Engineers do all of that with the support of the Plant Engineer. Just my opinion.
^ Thats been my experience as well.

At one point we decided to use a cross-functional team for PFMEA (R&D, ME, QE and an experienced associate). It didn't work out, the meetings were a lot of talk and no agreements. So Quality ended up finishing it on their own. But I think CFT is ideally the right way to do it. In our case, we apparently didn't work well together.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Trusted
Wow great replies...ain't this site great....for my 2 cents...
-DFMEA - Design Engineering Leads..all others follow and support their lead.
-PFMEA - Quality...more specifically Quality/Product Assurance leads or co-leads with the repsonsible manufacturing engineer...all others support

Top Bottom